THE BULL

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Really? I see you know nothing of the system in Florida, dear.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:42 pm
I am very aware of that Letty.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:48 pm
Mathos

I think this poem is very powerful.
Symbolic .

If you're interested, I wrote down my thoughts on it.
Just the way I saw it - (for what that's worth)!

Anyway, hope it's of some interest to you - it can be a bit suprising I know, to see how others read your work.

What I wrote about 'Bull'

It took a while before I understood that it was a bull talking and not a person (end of the third verse) - which is what grabbed me.
I had thought the title referred to another kind of bull!
Good title, for that reason. :wink:

It's the symbolism I see in 'Bull' that made me read it through to the end a couple of times. - Picasso's Guernica came to mind.
The atmosphere of the bull-fight is increasingly intimidating. The repeated use of the word Ole, really adds a shadow to the colourful setting - knowing that Ole means something playful to the bull.
For me, it's that child-like innocence that makes the poem really important. The way the bull is humiliated - made to twist and turn at the whim of others - deceived into thinking he is part of the game - when in fact, he is the sacrifice - kind of biblical.

This may seem a bit strange to you, but it also made me think of that kid killed last week in Kent. I think anyone who has ever been under a physical attack from more than three blokes would relate to this poem very nicely.

That's how I see it. It's very strong for me because it's symbolic.
And in a way, playful.
Really interesting that.

I haven't been able to get into poetry for a while - so thanks.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 02:10 pm
Thank you Endymion, you certainly raised some good points, your point of similarity between assailants gave me food for thought, you certainly gave me an insight into how others may view the same.

Letty,
I hope you will excuse the clown Spendius for his revolting comments!
Unfortunately some Englishmen have no idea how to conduct themselves, this extremely sad trait appears to be inborn into the Yorkshire fraternity.

You Spendius, should learn to keep your mouth shut about occurences of disaster suffered on a regular basis from The Gulf of Mexico, and along the south eastern coast of the USA. Having disasters broadcast on regular Sky News and seeing the levels of destruction loss of life and resultant heartbreak caused throughout, leaves you with no excuse for ignorance.

I trust, you will appreciate your attempts at being 'Mr Smarty Pants' have well and truly backfired into your neanderthal type features and you should for once in your miserable life, offer these people your most sincere apologies.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:00 am
Mathos-

I was only talking about those who just had their roof blown off and had their premiums up to date.

Are you entering the Saint Of The Month competition?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 01:56 pm
Not at all Spendius, I am referring to you and your irritating habit of placing your mouth in gear prior to depressing your brain (clutch). We are quite fortunate in the UK at not having to experience the severe weather conditions associated with tropical climates. Personally I have witnessed some of these storms first hand, and you can take it from me that the same are quite devastating, to say the least. Your world of literature may well mention hurricanes, typhoons, whirlwinds and such like occurences, but until you find yourself in the middle of one, I rather think you would be well advised to keep your 'snide' comments to yourself. I suppose you would be able to tell an up and coming boxer how to handle himself in a bout for the heavyweight championship of the world, just by reading the 'Life story of Henry Cooper' No indeed you could not, and consequently you are not a fit and proper person to comment on matters of any description unless you have been there!

I am rather grumpy today, due to the fact that Man United lost an extremely important game to Chelsea.

Also I have been diligently working extremely hard in my garden, I enjoy gardening as I have previously mentioned on these threads. I have never heard you comment on gardening, do you have a garden?

In future, refrain from casting insults of an injurious nature towards members of A2K who may well have heart breaking experiences with regards to weather conditions experienced in their home towns. The most you are likely to suffer in Yorkshire are 50 mile an hour winds, heavy rain and the occasional clap of thunder.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:00 pm
No problem, Mathos. As he said, spendius does not understand how insurance companies work here in Florida.

Anyway, since this is a poetry thread, I think you should try a bit of poetry yourself, spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:30 pm
Sorry Letty. I thought the thread was about bull.

I do a bit of poetry on the Limericks.

Mathos-there are a large number of people who have been killed and injured at football matches. On your argument football matches ought not to be mentioned in case a threader has been involved in one of those tragedies and you bring back his/her memories.

They say 40,000 died in the last heatwave in Europe so perhaps you might also refrain from mentioning hot weather and basking in the sun.

In fact,if we can't mention anything which might trigger a sad memory in somebody I don't suppose we would have anything to say.

Do you know how many people get killed or maimed gardening every year?

Maybe you should take up hospital visiting.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
Pick your soother up off the floor !

Tantrums like that will get you sent to your room!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:40 am
Laughing Just following directions Mathos. You do that stern, fatherly tone very convincingly. I bet your daughters really toed the line when they were growing up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:50 am
I've only just discovered this thread. I am one who begins reading dubiously, then either get caught up in the text or reject it outright. Your strong writing pulled me in, Mathos. The more I read of it the stronger the pull. I hope to read more by you.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:18 pm
Thanks very much for the encouragement edgar, I will try not to let you down.
0 Replies