Portable GPS/Navigation...

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
I'm looking for ideas for a portable GPS. I've had some exposure to some of the older hiking models from when I used to do that sort of thing, but I was thinking its about time to put one in my ride.

Some of the searching I've done thus fars shows some new stuff coming out this spring- the TomTom 910 series looks pretty cool. Can anyone provide some feedback on that/GPS's stuff ya'll have used recently? Its something I'm playing around with...figured that I might learn all that I could!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:25 pm
sg, Just type "portable GPS" in a search engine.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:22 pm
fair enough:)

I was just thinking might be hear some opinions from my fellow A2K-ers. See if they have an particular opinion- one over the other.

I had the chance to mess around with a TomTom Go 300 earlier this week (co-worker had one) and I thought that was pretty cool. Definately found it easy to use too! Does anyone have one a TomTom and used the bluetooth on it yet? Does it work well? I didn't get a chance to try that out- but its intriguing.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:25 pm
And here we are, presented with another thing to do with children. Tape one to your dashboard and give him or her a map. Voila! GPS. And if they know how to walk, they are portable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:25 pm
I got a Magellan 800 that has GPS and some memory like an MP3. It's a fun toy, but have yet to use its practical applications for drives outside our area.

You may also want to look at some PDAs with GPS and 811-wireless.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:39 pm
Hahah! I'm a little young to have any kids. I'm 23 so I don't forsee taping kids to the dashboard for at least a couple years or more (more like 10!).
Certainly a good solution though. hah!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:42 am
I been pleased with the performance and features of Garmin's GPS units, based on experience with a variety of their products over many years, handheld, vehicle, marine, and aircraft. Good stuff, easily updatable, accurate, legible mapsets, with all units pretty much able to use any of Garmin's excellent map software, other than the aviation-specific mapsets, and all can interface with a laptop or handheld, driving either Garmin's map software or most 3rd Party map software - something I really appreciate.

My advice to you would be to read as many revieews as you can, narrow down your list of candidates, and get as much hands-on familiarization with the units you decide are on your short list before making any purchase ... and I'll opine that a good, dedicated sporting goods store is probably the best place to really get the best demonstrations and explanations of consumer GPS gear.
0 Replies