Telecommuting

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:53 am
I've been looking into telecommuting for several years now and have waited for it to grow, so about 6 years later, I see it has grown quite a bit and I notice there are much more people working from their home office.
This is what I would like to do, so I plan on taking some online courses to learn something that will allow me to work from home.
My problem is trying to figure out what I want to do and so far I'm looking at maybe accounting or business courses, but I would like other ideas on where I can go with this and that's where you guys come in.

I'd like to know what kind of jobs are available for people who want to work at home and any thoughts would be appreciated :-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:23 am
There are really a ton of home-based jobs available.

I'd suggest looking at a job site to see what seems to be most frequently cited. The thing about telecommuting is that you can do the search in most any area. I've been doing part-time, home-based work through craigslist for the past several months. Just go to www.craigslist.org, then click on one of the big cities. There is a search box to the left; type "telecommuting" and search in the "jobs" category. Here's a sample result, for New York:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=3&subAreaID=&query=telecommuting&catAbbreviation=jjj
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
I did some extensive research on telecommuting on line about 6 years ago and I couldn't find anything legit, so I truly appreciate the lead, Soz.

Thanks a bunch.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:29 am
This can give you an idea, but do keep in mind that not everything on craigslist is legit. Some is, some isn't.

Happy to answer any questions you might have as you look around.

Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:42 pm
One big area of telecommuting is transcriptionist work. If you can type, there's work to be had with typing up doctors' and lawyers' reports. Often firms or hospitals will want you to take some sort of a terminology course so as to make sure that you know how to spell words like hepatocyte.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:33 pm
Jes
That sounds exactly like something I'd be interested in. I've always been interested in Law, so working for a law firm would be a huge interest to me.
I'm a one finger typer, but I know my keys and move pretty fast ;-)

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:43 pm
I wouldn't take courses in transcriptions though, as there are
so many Indian firms who have taken over this market and
their prices are hardly to beat. Many hospitals use them due to
cost efficiency besides accuracy.

A friend of mine who is at home with her children got into
jewelry making and sells it through ebay/craigslist.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:59 pm
I've done a lot of research on the ebay corner and talked with some of the sellers, but it wouldn't generate the income I've got in mind, unless I was willing to work 24/7.
There's a whole lot of competition on ebay these days as well, so I just don't feel secure enough about it to jump in.
Also, I want absolutely nothing to do with sales!

I'd like to work for a firm where I'm given the work I need to do and when my work is done, my day is done.
0 Replies