Computer Engineer Interview

doyle

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:06 am
I am doing a thing for a school engineering class. Could someone who is a computer engineer please answer some questions for me?

1. How many years of schooling did you have to go through to become an engineer?
2. What kind of things do you do on a daily basis while on the job?
3. What was the hardest thing you've had to do in your engineering career?
4. Around how long is your average work day?
5. What do you like most about your job?
6. What do you dislike most about your job?
7. What other kind of people do you work with?
8. What kind of tools or other equipment do you use frequently?
9. Where do you work at?
10. How long have you been an engineer?
11. What made you want to become an engineer?
12. What do you spend most of your time doing in your job?
13. What was the hardest class you took in high school?
14. What was the hardest class you took in college?
15. What are some of the advantages to working in your field of work?
16. What kind of qualities does an engineer have to have in order to become successful?
17. Do you need to be physically fit in your job?
18. What kind of college courses did you have to take?
19. What would an engineer who has just come out of college average salary range be?
20. What is your work environment like?
21.What type of engineer are you?
22.What is your name? (I need to know this so I can say who I interviewed)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,890 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:17 pm
Re: Computer Engineer Interview
doyle wrote:
I am doing a thing for a school engineering class. Could someone who is a computer engineer please answer some questions for me?

I hope data/business analyst qualifies for your study.

1. How many years of schooling did you have to go through to become an engineer? None. I'm serious. I have training but it was long after I graduated. I've received, all told, about two years' worth of training over the course of the past ten years
2. What kind of things do you do on a daily basis while on the job? I run database queries, create database queries and work with report requestors to determine their needs. I analyse and interpret data and present it to a mass audience, often composed of VPs and the like. I also gather report requirements. I don't do much in the way of use cases and other aspects of SDLC but my current role is changing so presumably I will be doing more of that in the future.
3. What was the hardest thing you've had to do in your engineering career? Determine what users really want versus what they ask for. Also, understand a database without much of a road map. In a job like mine, the first six months or so are very frustrating as you get up to speed, but then it gets easier.
4. Around how long is your average work day? I work a 40-hr week, total. I work it so that I'm in the office for 9 hours M - Thu and then half a day on Fridays. I work OT if it's requested or needed.
5. What do you like most about your job? Helping people and getting my organizational jollies. I like figuring out difficult problems.
6. What do you dislike most about your job? Tough users with ever-changing requirements. I worked on a report today that has been changed about 17 or 18 times in the past 12 months.
7. What other kind of people do you work with? I work on the business side. I have worked with the IT side in the past but currently I am the most technically-oriented person in my group.
8. What kind of tools or other equipment do you use frequently? I use a BI tool called Brio (Hyperion) which helps me to generate reports out of Oracle. I also use MS Access and MS Excel.
9. Where do you work at? I work as a contractor for a large contracting company. I am currently on assignment to a large financial services company and have been for a year.
10. How long have you been an engineer? I have been an analyst since the last quarter of 1998. The first time I had the specific title of engineer was early 2000 and at that time I was a QA engineer.
11. What made you want to become an engineer? I more or less fell into it. I had been working as an auditor and had technical knowhow. When the team's business analyst quit, I was given her job.
12. What do you spend most of your time doing in your job? Creating, running and distributing queries.
13. What was the hardest class you took in high school? Probably Physics.
14. What was the hardest class you took in college? Inorganic Chemistry.
15. What are some of the advantages to working in your field of work? There is always work. Every organization needs data interpretation.
16. What kind of qualities does an engineer have to have in order to become successful? Precision methodology. If you're scattershot, not only will you do a poor job but you will also waste a lot of time. There's a reason why I usually get home by 5 PM, and it's because I'm organized.
17. Do you need to be physically fit in your job? Thank God no.
18. What kind of college courses did you have to take? None. My degree is in Philosophy and was obtained long before BI software was invented.
19. What would an engineer who has just come out of college average salary range be? I have no idea. Try www.salary.com. The numbers vary in this field and a lot of it is demand-driven.
20. What is your work environment like? Casual, not just in dress but in decision-making and communications style.
21.What type of engineer are you? Database/Business
22.What is your name? (I need to know this so I can say who I interviewed) Sorry, but no, I will not tell you that on a public forum, and I'm willing to bet no one else will, either.

I hope this is of some help to you.
0 Replies

doyle

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 04:53 am
Thanks dude, that helps a lot.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 04:13 pm
I'm a dudette.
0 Replies

ishfa

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:16 am
These are just database oriented answers, a computer engineer has to do nothing with this..... you need to be more technical and broad with your answers covering all the aspects of computer engineering..
if am the one conducting the interview; i would strongly reject this sort of a candidate...
jespah

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:00 am
@ishfa,
Except I'm the only one who answered -- sometimes you take the answers you can get, yanno.
0 Replies