Engineering Technology Outsourcing Nightmare?

aeroz

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
I am extremely interested in going to DeVry University to get my EET degree. However, my boyfriend told me that EET jobs are getting outsourced like crazy, and there will be very few opportunities left in the fields of both Engineering and related manufacturing jobs like EET, in the next 10 years.

Is it true that manufacturing jobs will be outsourced in the next 10-20 years?

Is EET & Engineering in general a dwindling field and a poor investment choice for the future? Am I wasting my time with EET?

If so then what should I choose? What's hot in technology? Or is all of technology getting outsourced from the United States into third world countries?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,486 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:10 pm
If I had it to do over again I'd earn a degree in Civil Engineering. It might not be the most glamorous field, but people will always want safe bridges to drive over and clean water to drink.

I'm a Chemical Engineer. The problem here is that most of the jobs are where the oil fields are, or at transportation hubs. Unfortunately, these rarely coincide with where I want to live. Civil Engineering jobs can be found anywhere people live.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:02 am
My father is in Electrical Engineering (he's retired now) and there will pretty much always be a market in safety, gadgetry or the like. Electrocution is still a cause of death -- why not work to combat that? Or to power the latest iPod or computer? We're a very tech-addicted society, and it all comes from electronics.
0 Replies