Another Cyclone

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:17 pm
Well, I'm in prediction mode. Monica is about to hit Cape York near the aboriginal community of Lockhart River. It's bucketing down in Cairns but no winds for us.

My thoughts are of the aftermath. Will Australians be as generous as they were with Innisfail?

Can't see the govt helping out with industry - there isn't any. Soon it'll just be another isolated community fuelled by suicide, anger and a sense of hopelessness. Working for the Noel the most they can hope for...

Not to mention Mapoon and Arakun.

Coen, Kowanyama, Pormpuraaw miss out this time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,454 • Replies: 32
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
Noel?

We'd BETTER be generous.

Looks like this is the brave new world of global warming...just as predicted.

More extreme weather events....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:32 pm
Soft rain falling here.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:54 pm
Hope you dressed warm.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:51 pm
My prediction is the media won't give a toss, unless there's a way to tie it to Innisfail or maybe Darwin. There's already reports about "what this means for the people in the region being hit again", like 1000 kms is nuthin'.

..and besides, shouldn't be too many white people hurt Rolling Eyes

(Some of my rellies rode out Ingrid at Cat 5 on the very small and flat Golbourn Island last year....I thought they were gone for sure. No media at all.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:21 pm
Sheeesh! Hinge - I'm there in a month! Get rid of this crazy weather - f'gudnesssake!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:37 pm
Apparently this has been the first 'proper' wet season for yonks. It's been raining for ages can't think of a 24 hour period when it hasn't at least sprinkled.

Should be fine by the time you get here - really. Unless global warming has really changed things....
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:24 pm
There have been cyclones as late as June.... !
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:36 pm
What a cheerful thought.

Lockhart River has regular suicides and riots. It's a very dysfunctional community - but it only just got a mention in last weekend's Cairns Post. An auditor up there to check the 'councils' books spent three nights there a suicide the first night, a suicide the second night, a riot the third. Nothing in the news about it. It's Australia's ugly backside.

I think your media prediction is right. I'm sure Johnny wouldn't like to see any focus on it - seeing how the Cape York Authority (aka Noel Pearson) runs the place, and he is John's coconut of choice....
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:13 pm
hmmm, looks like they got a nasty graze but escaped the full force of the inner eye wall. Will we see pictures tonight? Probably handycam stuff.

Should we start bets on the point of NT landfall?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:18 pm
OK - I pick Gove/Nhulunbuy
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:21 pm
Damn!

Alright, I'll take Groote Eylandt, but only because I like long odds.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 11:59 pm
A few roads cut off by flooding in and around Cairns - but I could still get to work - damn. Took some people 45 minutes to travel 4 km.

Near wet myself when I heard someone say 'Yorkey's knob has been cut off!'
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:53 am
Is the flooding gonna get much worse hinge? Monica seemed to amble pretty slowly across the cape.

(oh, and pass on our best wishes to Yorkey)

My bet is looking better, btw.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:14 am
hingehead wrote:
What a cheerful thought.

Lockhart River has regular suicides and riots. It's a very dysfunctional community - but it only just got a mention in last weekend's Cairns Post. An auditor up there to check the 'councils' books spent three nights there a suicide the first night, a suicide the second night, a riot the third. Nothing in the news about it. It's Australia's ugly backside.

I think your media prediction is right. I'm sure Johnny wouldn't like to see any focus on it - seeing how the Cape York Authority (aka Noel Pearson) runs the place, and he is John's coconut of choice....

More info?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 06:27 pm
On what Deb?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 06:37 pm
Lockhart River/Pearson etc. if you please.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 06:49 pm
<listening in ignorance>
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
Gawd. Noel Pearson heads up Cape York Partnerships, he's also one to make 'The Australian's pages for his 'hard line' on passive welfare in indigenous communities.

You can read more about CYP at http://www.capeyorkpartnerships.com, but I haven't seen a site that says less specifics about an organisation for a long time.

The current government loves him and is quite willing to bend it's own rules to accomodate him. Which is fine, rules are for bending. The question is whether they are worth bending for him? Does he have the support of his 'people'? Are things getting, or even looking like getting, better for them?

The government (shock horror) seems to be taking the strategy of distancing itself form aboriginal affairs first by closing ATSIS (the service delivery part of ATSIC) then pursuing an outsourcing model of service delivery, ie requesting tenders for service delivery contracts from non government/private organisations, like CYP.

My problem is with that model. The government may argue that private organisations are more efficient in fund use than the public sector (at least the public sector doesn't have to turn a profit, John) but I would argue that their chief aim is to abrogate their responsibility for their own citizens.

They do it over and over again, to achieve plausible deniability. Something bad happens and they say 'we're not responsible - we hired someone to look after that for us' and it will happen with the Cape York communities.

Enough waffle for now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 07:14 pm
Oh, I agree re the outsourcing...thank you.

You do not like Noel, I take it? Interesting...

I opened a thread about the welfare stuff a while back....do you think it all bad? I don't....and neither do a number of Aboriginal organisations, I gather.

Mind you....trusting THIS government with stuff like that....uggh.

But...I DO think they have had some ok ideas..especially in concert with communities. Like the no school attendance/no swimming pool, stuff like that.

Interested in your views.

You work in that area?
0 Replies