Spurs/Lakers Game 2

snood

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:13 pm
I'm about two hours from leaving to go see Spurs/Lakers game 2 live at the SBC center!!! I'm excited. I HATE the Lakers! Which is ironic, because I used to be a dyed in the wool Laker man - back in the Kareem-Magic-Worthy-Cooper-Rambis days.
These punks they have today seem like a buncha despicable people. Pretty boys, egomaniacs, thugs... yuch.

I hope the Spurs whup the tar out of 'em. Not that I'm a Spurs fan - I'll root for anyone opposite the Lakers, but the Kings are my team.

Anyway, this is only the third pro game I will have seen live. Hope it's a doozy!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,107 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:21 pm
Even Kobe? I have always thought he was a pretty good guy for an athlete.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:27 pm
damn, snood, i'm one jealous, jealous man. we'll see if jackson's whining about the free throw discepancy buys them the usual brand of absurd calls.

kobe takes 38 shots, mostly jumpers, and the fool acts like he can't figure out why they're not getting to the line? he never questions the disparity when the lakers shoot 30 throws in the fourth quarter to another team's six.

no offense here -- but i want the lakers to get through so the kings can take 'em out, though i'm sure when it happens they'll just go and cry about how they didn't have rick fox and devean george (again, never mentioning that the kings played most of last year's series without stojakovic, an all-star).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 10:18 am
uh huh, yeah, that was a good game...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 10:27 am
I'm envious too, snood. What a blowout. Who woulda thought the hero would be Bowen?!?

I love the Spurs (of course I'm still a Rocket fan whenever the two play). I don't hate the Lakers but I do root for the underdog almost always; that's not necessarily the Spurs in this case, but you know what I mean.

They play such a good team game--each knows his role, play unselfishly, helping out on D--all the little things that win championships.

Spurs-Kings will be a GREAT series. IMHO this one is over.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:10 pm
Well, Game 3 changed everything - the Spurs looked like the guys last year who were afraid to chllenge the Lakers toe to toe. But about game 2-
I got to see Kareem in person, and that was special for me. I saw Bill Walton up close, but I didn't care too much about that. The game was a memory I'll take with me a long time.

In about 90 minutes (CST) game four tips off in LA. The stakes are higher still, because now Dalas is putting it to the webber-less Kings, and the Lakers have a crazed crowd and momentum on their side.

And about Kobe - he's never impressed me as anything but a Michael wannabe ballhog punk. but that's just one opinion.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:16 pm
I was talking off the court Kobe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:10 pm
Why, you lunch with him, or something?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:28 pm
I wasn't aware that was a requirement to having an opinion. Nevermind.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:02 am
Anyone who peddle's McDonalds for cash is scum in my book. You see kids wearing their NBA gear and already on their way to obesity and diabetes getting off the bus to pick up that sh!t for breakfast every morning -- no class at all.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:07 am
Greg Popovich, Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs put an end to dreams of a Laker dynasty. Boo hoo.

With a little more than two minutes left to play last night, this was the scene: the Spurs up by 25, Shaq and Kobe on the bench, that dork Jim Grey interviewing Jack Nicholson. The crowd at Staples in shock.

Watching the Lakes under Phil Jackson, they always seemed to think that they could turn it on at any time. There was a certain amount -- no, scratch that, there was a lot -- of condescension and disdain for any NBA team that didn't wear purple and gold. Remember that "Sacramento Queens" comment by Shaq?

Too much swagger. Too much arrogance.

(Reminds me of the Republican party, but I digress.)

They should have seen it coming when Duncan won league MVP and Pop won Coach of the Year.

Two humble pies and fifteen spoons, coming right up.

Three is all you get, Lakers. See ya next year.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:05 pm
Lakers are my team and will always be my team no matter what. I really like KObe
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:00 am
So, snooder, got any tickets to the Finals?
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:30 pm
NICE EXIT MR. ROBINSON

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/david1_276_030615.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:28 am
Didn't get to go to the finals, but I really enjoyed the dethroning of the Lakers. I don't think I'm a hardhearted person, but I laughed uproariously when Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher burst into tears.

These Spurs are a curious group - so low key they're kind of boring to watch, but making an effort to be men, and not just media creations.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:15 am
Awwwwwwwwwwww... I think this may be the first final I didn't watch at all, ever. Shocked (Been busy.) Love David, though. I remember when he was a gawky kid in braces and a military uniform. Steve Kerr, too. Duncan, too. Good group.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:01 am
You know, I think that Duncan kid might be a decent player some day.

(Damn Webber and his chronically crappy legs...)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:14 am
I could unabashedly love the Kings, except for the crap Webber pulls. He just can't make the kind of dominating performance that someone with his size and skills should, and it becomes very obvious at the worst times. He is just too damn satisfied to sit back and take 15 foot jumpers without following his shot for the offensive rebound. He is not fierce enough, by half, on defense. He seems to only muster up his ferocity when its time to mug for the cameras. He just ain't got no damn heart. And that's really a shame, because Bobby Jackson, Vlade Divac and Doug Christie, to name three, are warriors.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:20 am
Yeah, but that's who he is, y'know? He ain't gonna be something he ain't. Peja's gonna be the game-buster for them. The guy has become fearless on offense, and he's getting to where he can get a shot any time he wants.

Now if they could pick up a guy like Ginobili... Loved watching that kid in the playoffs. Guy's got a brain in his head.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
patiodog wrote:
Yeah, but that's who he is, y'know? He ain't gonna be something he ain't. Peja's gonna be the game-buster for them. The guy has become fearless on offense, and he's getting to where he can get a shot any time he wants.

Now if they could pick up a guy like Ginobili... Loved watching that kid in the playoffs. Guy's got a brain in his head.

I have no beef with Webber "being what he is" - but I think he's way overhyped as some kind of something he definitely ain't.

Yeah, a brain, two hands, ears, intestines....
Ginobili did some spectacular **** in the playoffs, but he did enough knucklehead stuff that I would question any contention that he's some kind of quantifiably more "heady" player than a couple dozen others I could name...
0 Replies