Women's Soccer

fbaezer

Wed 7 May, 2003 01:12 pm
SARS has forced a relocation of the Football (soccer) 2003 Women's World Cup, to be held in China during september-october.

Australia and the USA are bidding for being host.
Are you interested on the event?
What do you think of women's soccer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,447 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 7 May, 2003 01:17 pm
I like that the women don't dive as much.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Wed 7 May, 2003 01:25 pm
In another thread (International Hockey Championship) cjhsa wrote:

What about [futbol/soccer] women's rankings, though? I wonder how good that Iraqi or Afghani women's team is?

The only more or less known women's ranking is unofficial.

Germany is #1,
USA, #2
Norway # 3
China # 4
(Australia # 13)

No Iraqi or Afghani teams.

Iranian women do like soccer. In 1998, they staged a protest march against regulations that forbid them to go to the soccer games. Clad with their traditional chador, thousands of them occupied part of Teheran's main stadium and cheered the Iranian national team during practice.
I don't know if the regulation still persists.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 8 May, 2003 10:02 am
All I can say is that watching my 10 year old daughter play in her U12 league is a heck of a lot more exciting than watching youth baseball. That is like watching paint dry.

Soccer is very popular in the U.S., expecially among young women. I'm surprised to see that we aren't ranked #1. Mia Hamm is still considered to be the best woman player in the world. She plays for the Washington Freedom.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 May, 2003 10:43 am
cjhsa

Actually, those ranks are made of international results.

The USA-women team made quite a lot, unfortunately with not so good results as the German team.
However, I really think, your actual team is better than the Germans.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 8 May, 2003 11:04 am
Mia Hamm at rest. Not only is she a great soccer player...

http://www.celebritywizard.com/images/image_galleries/mia_hamm/images/miahamm14_jpg.jpg

If you can't see the picture, right click on the image, select "Properties", then copy the URL and paste it into your browser's URL bar. I tried posting the URL but if you click on it from within A2K it takes you to an adult site. If you do what I said above, it works correctly (and yes, she's fully clothed! Embarrassed
0 Replies

fbaezer

Thu 8 May, 2003 01:09 pm
It's a paradox that so many Americans consider football (soccer) a "women's game", only because it is so widely played among girls in the US.

Elsewhere, football is considered a "boy's game", even where women are catching up at a fast rate. Women's soccer is Olympic only since 1996.

Obviously, the more gender equality, the greater the capacity of women's teams to surpass men's teams in the ranking.

Also, bigger qualitative differences are present today at women's level, compared to men. Whippings are relatively normal. This will diminish as more women get hooked on playing the sport.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 8 May, 2003 02:06 pm
No paradox - the three biggies take up so much of the boy's time that it leaves little room for soccer, unless you specialize. Brandy Chastain's goal at the 1999 World Cup convinced a lot of young girls that they wanted to focus on soccer.

There's a lot more fame and recognition, even at the high school level, if you play on the football, basketball, or baseball team, not to mention college and the $$$ of pro.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Thu 8 May, 2003 02:16 pm
Right, cjhsa. Here and in many other countries it's the other way round. The High School captain of the boys' soccer team is a demigod.

We have our own paradox. While soccer is the sport that can "give the money", american football is more useful for college scholarships.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 May, 2003 02:19 pm
When my niece played in the national Austrian U 17 team - she was playing in boy's team at home the years before (until she was 16). That's five years ago. (Now she is playing First Austrian Bundesliga)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 8 May, 2003 02:47 pm
It's sad but understandable that it's a game for females in the US, there is no equivalent to American footbal for females so Football it is.

I think Mia is over the hill. Pretinho and many many others are far better than she is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 8 May, 2003 03:25 pm
Craven you have no respect for your elders! Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 8 May, 2003 03:28 pm
I also can't type:

pretinha*
0 Replies

fbaezer

Thu 8 May, 2003 04:48 pm
Walter, I believe that your niece's experience (playing in boys' clubs) is not unique in countries with less women soccer players.

My sons went to soccer school since they were 4. The elder one (turned 22 this year) belongs to the first generation who had one girl in every team. There were no girls' leagues at the time (we're talking about late 80's, early 90's), but the gender barrier was truly broken.
Now they have girl's leagues and many schools have a women's football (soccer) team.

Craven,
I've seen both Hamm and Pretinha on TV (the American, several times; the Brazilian, in the World Cup game against Mexico Sad ). Hamm, already a veteran, is superstrong and can read the game very well, like an offensive Beckenbauer. Pretinha is like a female Garrincha: artful and witty, she plays more beautifully, but Hamm is more effective.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 8 May, 2003 05:37 pm
Do you think she is still effective?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Thu 8 May, 2003 05:43 pm
I dunno. She's past her football prime.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 9 May, 2003 09:25 am
What just happened?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Mon 26 May, 2003 01:22 pm
Women's World Cup will be played in the US

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-SOC-Womens-World-Cup.html

Good news for your daughter, cjhsa. Smile
0 Replies

RobDL96

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 05:00 am
@fbaezer,
I think that woman’s soccer is a very dull and boring watch. There is very minimal contact and not a lot of technical ability on show. The game lacks ambition and commitment and is not very well publicized or watched. I think this is because although women go on about how they think there should be more opportunities for women in sport but when the opportunities, such as football, come up they do not take the chance to play as they are afraid of what people may think of them. Women’s football also has a very think fan base. If you watch on the rare occasion that women’s football is on there is a very little amount of fan support. Most women would much rather go and watch men play football as it is a much higher quality. Women’s football is not all bad though as it does give women more opportunities in sport. Another good part about women’s football is that there is a lot less foul play and play acting. In women’s there is a lot less money due to lack of publicity, fan base and sponsorship. This is because the level at which they play is not as high as what the men’s game is.
0 Replies