Cleaning Grills on Stove Top...

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:18 pm
My new(ish) stove is gas and has two grills that fit over the 4 burners.

Spills and such have baked in on them, and I can't get them off with soft scrub

any suggestions?

oh, I think the metal is coated iron. (?)
anyway, it's some kind of metal that's coated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,428 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
This reminds me of a thread a while ago on cleaning burned pots. What I learned from that thread was to add baking soda to boiling water and let the pot soak with it - I tried that now a few times and it has always worked, though I've had to do it more than once to get all the gunk off. So, any way to soak those grills?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:55 pm
Dishwasher for the removable parts, Dawn Power Dissolver for anything you can't remove and, in the future, cover 'em with burner covers or shape tinfoil if you can't find burner covers (it was a massive pain to find burner covers for a gas stove in our area, so I used to buy the store out when they were in stock and I'm sure others did, too).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:01 pm
There is something called "Dawn Power Dissolver" designed to removed burned on grease. It comes in a blue spray bottle, costs a somewhat startling amount (compared with dish detergent) but it works.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:03 pm
http://www.pg.com/images/product_card/v3/dawn/hh_dawn_prod06.jpg

Noddy, you been lookin' in my cabinets again? :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:15 pm
Jes--

We just have so much in common, starting with an aversion to elbow grease when battling filth.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:26 pm
jespah wrote:
Dishwasher for the removable parts, Dawn Power Dissolver for anything you can't remove and, in the future, cover 'em with burner covers or shape tinfoil if you can't find burner covers (it was a massive pain to find burner covers for a gas stove in our area, so I used to buy the store out when they were in stock and I'm sure others did, too).

Thanks all....I think I'm going to start with the least chemical-ly, soaking in baking soda and water.

Jespah - This isn't the type that has burner covers...it's 2 big racks that covers the left 1/2 and the right half of the stove.

I always wipe up as soon as spills are made (once the metal cools down) but like I've mention before...I live with a wild wolverine , and they can never be completely tamed. They get into all sorts of mischief when you turn your head.

If the baking soda doesn't work, I'll see what the dishwasher does, then progress to the stuff with the astounding price.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:39 pm
Before you spend big $$ on anything try taking the grill and put them in a blcak plastic garbage bag with some amonia and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours.

Works better than anything else I've tried for cleaning oven racks and broiling pans.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:47 pm
The amonia won't harm the metal or the paint/coating on the metal?

I've never used amonia much.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:35 pm
I expect they're enameled, so vinegar won't harm it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
listening...

A tangent, but related issue - not to distract, but just in case anyone has any bright ideas...

My new to me house has kitchen cabinets with twenty years worth of sticky over seemingly calcified grease on various doors and drawers. I've tried a lot of stuff, but I manage to take the varnish off. Am considering stripping the whole lot, but sanity keeps me wondering if ... there is something that takes off 20 yr old grease and not the varnish, as in, stop me before I go too far. At this point, I've only "ruined" one drawer front, and one cabinet front for a few inches, and assume I can revarnish that.

Alternately, I may strip them and paint, or strip them and stain them whitish. Girl is not buying new cabinets, or paying for new finish purveyors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:55 pm
listening...

A tangent, but related issue - not to distract, but just in case anyone has any bright ideas...

My new to me house has kitchen cabinets with twenty years worth of sticky over seemingly calcified grease on various doors and drawers. I've tried a lot of stuff, but I manage to take the varnish off. Am considering stripping the whole lot, but sanity keeps me wondering if ... there is something that takes off 20 yr old grease and not the varnish, as in, stop me before I go too far. At this point, I've only "ruined" one drawer front, and one cabinet front for a few inches, and assume I can revarnish that.

Alternately, I may strip them and paint, or strip them and stain them whitish. Girl is not buying new cabinets, or paying for new finish purveyors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:56 pm
Here's the old thread re burnt pots...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21673&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=burned+pot&start=0

This may not be the only thread, I think there might have been a followup thread.. but the thread is an oldie but goodie.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:11 pm
Osso--

You have my sympathy. Other people's left behind grease is so much dirtier than your own grease.

Have you tried wiping down with ammonia?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:06 pm
No, I haven't tried ammonia, cough. I wasn't raised with ammonia, but, y'know, I've heard of it.

Will get back to you on that. (I usually use it for snails...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:07 pm
Sorry for the double post..
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 06:52 am
Chai Tea wrote:
The amonia won't harm the metal or the paint/coating on the metal?

I've never used amonia much.

It shouldn't. Grills used for that sort of thing has a very heavy coat of enamel that will stand up to pretty much any sort of sovlents.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 11:15 am
By God then fishin', that's what I'll try.

Yeah osso, I wasn't raised with amonia, we were a "Comet" family.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
Y'all could afford Comet? Actually we had a can, kept up high by my mom, and we had to ask for it. We had to show her the dirt we intended to clean, then she'd sprinkle "enough" on a damp cloth for us.

But mostly ammonia and water, or Spic-n-Span and water. Ammonia comes lemon scented now; that might be more bearable.
0 Replies