Name our new pet

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:48 pm
PatrICK!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:59 pm
Quote:
Amaurobius ferox, a half-inch-long spider common in European woodlands, practices matriphagy. Within a week after the young hatch, according to entomologists Kil-Won Kim and Andre Horel, at Universite Henri Poincare in Nancy, France, the mother spider actively solicits them to kill and devour her. For three weeks in late spring and early summer, the mother spider sits in close contact with her egg sac until eighty to a hundred spiderlings emerge. She then lays a second batch of eggs, on which the young immediately feed. Three to four days later, the spiderlings molt. The next day, the mother increases her activity, drumming with her legs, jumping around, and pressing intermittently against the clustered brood. Within half an hour, they swarm over her body and begin to feed. Mothers never attempt to escape or fend off the fatal attacks. ("Matriphagy in the spider Amaurobius ferox: an example of mother-offspring interactions," Ethology 104, 1998)
Advertisement
Article
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:33 am
holy mother... that is some devotion.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:48 am
Quote:
The next day, the mother increases her activity, drumming with her legs, jumping around, and pressing intermittently against the clustered brood

I guess I've never heard it called the "clustered brood" before.

Must be a term the Brits use.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:33 am
oh brits and their clustered broods..... scrumptious!
0 Replies

sweandog

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:44 am
Hacklemesh Weaver
We think my 20yr old daughter was bit by a Hacklemesh Weaver (1.5cm long, 2.5cm leg span, reddish legs, browinish-grey body, dark brown head) while sitting at work. She thinks it had crawled into her sweatpants before she went to work as she had seen it earlier and tried to kill it but it got away. Anyway, the bite turned red and swollen which was no shock. What was frightening is that the next morning it looked like she had many bites up her hip, waist and torso and down her leg all about 2" apart. After a day or two of feeling ill, dizzy, nauseous and developing a low grade fever she went to the doctor and was told that the venom traveled through her body and presented every 2" like another bite. They drew blood, did a culture and a CBC. They tested and treated her for a staff infection that they said was a risk. She's quite healthy and athletic. Has anyone ever heard of that? Does this ring true?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:11 am
However, there are no indications that these spiders will readily bite or that the bites are medically important.
0 Replies

sweandog

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:05 am
Thanks! I appreciate your help. I think I'm going to like a2k...
0 Replies