What film do you call the worst of all?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:12 am
OK- How quickly we forget. I have been attempting to remember the name of a movie that was a big hit a couple of years ago. It was a horror movie that was made with a hand held camera, and no actors of any merit of which to speak. Very little plot, no characterization, lots of nothing. A total waste of time. A lot of people were very frightened by it, but I was just B-O-R-E-D!

Can anybody remember the name of that dud?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:13 am
The Blairwitch Project!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:13 am
Blair Witch has to be it
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:15 am
OOOOkkkk....fine, bash Blair Witch Project....then go see Blair Witch Project II and reasess....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:18 am
A movie about three people who can't read a map.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:21 am
Thanks, all. I had my husband looking through Leonard Maltins book looking for the title, and he just got up to the "B"s when I saw your responses. Thanks!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:29 am
The Blair Witch Project sucked BIG TIME!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:34 am
Talk about disappointing movies (not that we were, but...) I remember when The Exorcist came out. Talk was they had to have nurses in attendence -- and several people I knew who saw it said it was the most terrifying movie they had ever seen.

I don't react well to horror movies, so I was reluctant to even go see it, but finally did.

I snickered through most of it -- and don't remember a scene where I felt any fear at all.

Anyone else have that reaction???
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:37 am
Don't find it scary, but I love the movie. Very funny, 'tis. "Let Jesus f*** you! Let Jesus f*** you!" Classic bit.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:37 am
FrankApisa- The first time that I saw the "Exorcist" I went into the lobby, and laid down on the carpet. I was not alone. The scene that got to me was near the beginning, when a doctor stuck a needle in her neck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:57 am
Submitted for your approval:

(1) Battlefield Earth - John Travolta as a very tall alien with dreadlocks and odd breathing gear and a penchant for being able to speak completely without emotions. And act without emotions. I mean, the dude's arm explodes about halfway up (above the elbow) and he doesn't even complain or say "oops".

(2) Sweet November - only saw the first half or so of this turkey. Charlize Theron is quirky but dying of some disease and selects Keanu Reeves as her guy for, you guessed it, the month of November. Because she has months to live, get it? 'Cept she's beyond annoying (there's a line between quirky and annoying, and she completely crosses it), plus everything she puts Keanu through is totally dumb. She sells his clothes, or maybe just gives them away. She tells him to quit his job. She tosses his expensive watch in the trash because she "doesn't like watches" (an allusion to her running out of time, get it?). And Keanu tolerates it because ... I dunno ... 'cause she's cute? If she was even slightly less cute, he and any other person with a brain would be running, screaming, from her.

(3) My Dinner With André - it's supposed to be a classic. Roger Ebert claims it's one of his top 100 films of all time. But it's boring, repetitive, and ultimately pointless.

Props to those who mentioned
Waterworld
The Postman (aren't these the same dang film?)
Godfaddah 3 (this was a good decision of Wynona Ryder's - she was supposed to have Sofia Coppolla's part but backed out due to illness. Wynona's done dumb things in her life, but this decision makes up for at least some of those bad choices)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:02 pm
I love "My Dinner with André." But I've been around and worked with a lot of avant gardre theater folks, and the whole thing is one long in-joke.

("Gardre" probably (mis)typed thusly because of Pere Ubu's penchant for shouting "merdrrrre!")
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:49 pm
It's easy to agree with Jespah on "Battlefield Earth," possibly the worst high budget/high production value (if you can call it that) of all sci-fi flicks. The material it's taken from is pulp space opera -- Hubbard wasn't any better at writing than creating hocus pocus quasi-scientific religions. The aliens looked like some kind of peculiarly drab drag interpretation of Carmen Miranda. The dread wasn't just in the locks but in having to sit through this one in a theater after plunking down $8.00 plus for a ticket. A good reason to only go to matinees!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:21 am
Today, "The Exorcist" is somewhat tame and much of it has become cliche. But in 1973, when it came out, it was absolutely terrifying- nothing like that had been done before. Plus, it was (very loosely) based on an actual incident. Lots of people that saw "The Exorcist" were frightened out of their wits.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 10:59 am
Phoenex & Equus

I guess you two were scared by it -- but I thought it was hilarious. And like I said, I have never reacted well to horror flicks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:03 am
FrankApisa- I was not scared by the "haunting". It was the medical procedure. At one time I was very squeamish about blood and stuff like that. I nearly passed out watching a movie called "Doubles", where there was also a medical procedure involved.

Through life experience, I have gotten over that squeamishness! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:06 pm
Phoenix, perhaps that film was Dead Ringers with Jeremy Irons playing twin gynecologists? It was pretty gruesome!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:31 am
Macsm11- No, it wasn't "Dead Ringers"....... and I don't think that it was "Doubles" either. It was something about a guy who has plastic surgery on his face (that was the part that got to me). I thought it was with Rock Hudson, but I checked IMDB, and it's not there. Sad

Anybody which movie it is?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:33 am
As usual, it's hubby to the rescue. The name of the movie is "Seconds".

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0060955
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:08 am
Dead Ringers still freaks Mrs. cav out...and she is a big Jeremy Irons fan, and of Cronenberg as well. I like Cronenberg, but I would nominate 'Crash' as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Question is now: Is 'Battlefield Earth' worse than 'Waterworld?'
0 Replies