Melted plastic inside metal pot -- argh!

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:32 am
Okay, I know this was a dumb thing to do and I need not be reminded of it.

I had a tupperware of frozen stuff in it, it wasn't defrosting fast enough and so I stuck it in a cast-iron pot and turned on the heat. When I took it out, some of the plastic had stuck to the bottom inside of the pot.

Currently, we are soaking the inside of the pot with nail polish remover (acetone, it breaks down plastics), we have also tried scraping the plastic off with a paint scraper and that works okay, but it's tough to get good leverage. Another option, if these don't work, will be to clean out the inside of the pot (because acetone is flammable) and heat up the pot again, this time trying to scrape up the heated (and presumably a little melted) plastic.

Please don't tell me to get another pot. I know what they cost. I am trying to fix the one I have.

So, anyone got any suggestions? Thank you and yes this is a serious topic.

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:04 am
OHHHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA Laughing
http://www.freebiefix.com/lmao.gif

[size=7]its only funny because I have done the same thing 2xs [/size] Embarrassed

and yup.
new pot needed.

I got all the visible plastic off the first time

then, my food tasted like plastic..

bought a new pan

Did it again.. Confused
Cleaned NEW pot

food tasted like plastic Mad

Most plastics are pretty damn toxic when melted
and ingested..
I learned this AFTER I tried 'cooking out' the taste of the first pot

Sorry dahhhhling. Get a new one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:29 am
Chunk it. Only a new one will be good enough. No money to pay for it? Beats poisoning yourself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
As the third generation owner of double-lovely much adored cast iron pots I say that throwing it out would be lunacy!

There has got to be a way to get that pot clean!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
Mr. Noddy suggests scraping with a razor blade. He sympathizes with the akward angle.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
well, after you clean it well enough in whatever manner, i suggest heating oil in it a number of times before actually using it for anything. hope your stomachs are sturdy. i wouldn't throw it out either. i'm sure it will be fine in a few months...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:07 am
I found this but it does not specify pan type:

Freeze the frying pan, then use a suitable instrument to tap the underside of the frying pan.

Steps
Freeze the frying pan in a freezer, leaving it to chill for at least a couple of hours.
Meanwhile, find a non-marring object like a piece of wood, plastic mallet, anything with some heft, but softer than the metal of the frying pan. This is to avoid damaging the finish of the pan in the next step.**
Remove the super-cooled frying pan from the freezer
Place the frying pan on a flat surface, with the bottom side turned up.
Using the striking tool, gently tap the bottom of the frying pan in the area where the plastic is pooled.
If this fails, repeat step 5, but not quite as gently

http://wiki.ehow.com/Remove-Melted-Plastic-from-Frying-Pan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:12 am
Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
Quote:

Question:
Hi! I just stumbled across this website as I was looking for help with my cast-iron skillet. I left my much-loved, used-daily skillet on a hot burner and threw a plastic microwave lid in it. The plastic melted to the surface of the skillet. I was able to scrape most of the plastic out while the skillet was still hot, but now I have a fine layer of plastic on the bottom of the skillet. Have I ruined the skillet forever? Help! Thanks, Sarah Steen (8/26/05)

Answer:
I would do some more sanding to remove the layer of thin plastic. Once sanded, re-season your cast iron pan.

Thanks so much! I reheated the pan, then wiped and wiped as much as I could then sanded lightly. I didn't actually end up losing too much of the carbonization, so when I re-seasoned it looked great. Thanks again, Sarah

from "Techniques for Restoring an old Cast-Iron Skillet"

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/SandingCastIron.htm
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
I will send you a new cast iron pot. What size do you want?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:36 am
I'd light up the fire pit outside and set the cast iron in it. A half-hour of sitting in an open fire pretty much cleans everything out of cast iron. A wire brush on a power drill may work in your case too!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:34 pm
Let us know how that turns out. I am curious to learn if you ever cook with it again.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:36 pm
you should consider using Na-palm-olive.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:52 pm
freeze it, burn it, freeze it again, burn it, freeze, burn -- should be hours of fun.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:44 pm
Some say the world will end in fire.
Some say, in ice.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:50 pm
i say flood.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:28 pm
I'd prolly try a stiff wire brush spun by a highspeed drill, but fishin's idea makes sense to me, too. No firepit, no problem; use a charcoal grill. Either way, make sure to heat-soak the pot well, and to expose the plastic-fouled area directly to live coals - constantly. I'd say 15 minutes or so oughtta do it, but that's just a guess. I figure you wouldn't wanna use any sort of forced draft to speed the process - the idea is to clean the cast iron, not to heat it to the point of being maleable enough to work the metal. Perhaps another solution might be to use a propane torch to burn off the plastic - that might do the job, too.

Once you get rid of the plastic, assuming you do, scrub the pot well with scouring powder and steel wool, then in fresh, hot, soapy water, thoroughly rinse it in hot water, dry it completely - a few minutes sitting on a rangetop burner at low heat will do - place some lard, about a couple tablespoons worth - Crisco brand would be my choice - in the pot, allow it to melt, then liberally coat the interior of the pot with the melted lard, and place it in a preheated 350º oven for about ½ an hour, turn off the oven without opening it, allow the pan to cool room temp - should take around 2 or 3 hours, overnight is fine, discard any remaining lard (there may not be any), wipe the pot's interior clean, thoroughly rinse the pot's interior in very hot running water, repeat the dry-over-low-heat, melted lard, wipe clean and hot rinse proceedures at least a couple times.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:49 pm
crisco ain't lard
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:08 pm
That's true, I think it's hydrogenated vegetable fat of some kind. Not sure it matters.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:13 pm
It doesn't matter - Crisco more or less amounts to a readily available lard substitute and for most purposes, seasoning cast iron included, it seves just as`well as lard. Just about any edible fat or grease would work, bacon drippings, for instance, though with Crisco there's no residual flavor.
0 Replies