For ***** sake

Don1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:44 am
Will the British legal system EVER get anything right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4891052.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,870 • Replies: 37
No top replies

ffydownunder

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:45 pm
would you say this is the legal system; or the probabtion system?

I would see the two as different things. once the case has left court (after conviction and sentencing) i would say it was the resonsibility of the probabtion service to see that things like this don't happen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:50 pm
ffydownunder wrote:
would you say this is the legal system; or the probabtion system?

Well, I've asked this Don a couple of times in a similar way - early release is done by a law. So you have to change that law.

The legal system in England is a quite old one, and besides Don I'm not aware someone is asking for a change - what would be the alternative legal system?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:06 pm
ffydownunder/Walter

If your child was sexually assaulted or raped, what would you think the appropriate sentence was? For child rape I would say 25 years for the first offence and life without parole for any subsequent offence.

This child was sexually assaulted by this animal while he was in a bail hostel for ***** sake
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:08 pm
I respect your opinion - but what had that to do with the legal system?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I respect your opinion - but what had that to do with the legal system?

It's the legal system Walter that gives us these inappropriate sentences, who should we hold responsible?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:48 pm
You want the Engish legal to be changed to ... what?
No courts? More courts? A different or no prosecution system?

Or do you want different laws? (Which has nothing to little to do with legal system.)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:55 pm
Walter what I, and most people in Britain want is protection for our children, and severe penalties for those who abuse us. Is this really so difficult a concept??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:00 pm
So you don't want a legal system but lynch justice and/or arbitrary law.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:12 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So you don't want a legal system but lynch justice and/or arbitrary law.

No Walter what I want is law that protects our children, and punishes those that offend them.

Do you have an objection to that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:27 pm
If you want a different law, you haven't to change your legal system but the law.

And that is done in Parliament.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:56 pm
I know how it is done Walter, unfortunately we don't have anyone of sufficient intelligence to implement the changes neccessary to protect our children from paedophiles
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:35 am
it's not the legal system that's at fault here.... the man was sentenced according to the law, but was released according to probation... that's not the legal system of courts, judeges, juries etc.

as walter correctly said it's the LAW which must be changed...

and if you're not happy about the law then do something about it, write to your MP, MEP (and MSP in Scotland)....

there is (contrary to the popular press' belief) a lot of good work being done to protect children - I've got 7 years experience in Child Protection - both in policy and implementation. difference is that you never get to hear about the good that people do - but only when something slips through the cracks.

And the problem with the cracks is that people don't know they're there until someone get's through them!

and if the Gov't still lacks someone of "sufficient intelligence" to implment changes - then why don't you run for office yourself?

if you're not happy with someone change it!!!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 02:04 am
Don1 wrote:
No Walter what I want is law that protects our children, and punishes those that offend them.
How can you have a law "that protects our children" unless or until the crime is actually committed (at which point it is too late)?

Do you believe in arrest on suspicion of intent?

Further, how do you figure that (what I assume you mean by) "punishes" will have a deterrent effect on rapists?

Are you argue that rapists give deterrent consideration to potential penalties prior to or during a rape? If so where is your proof?

Note: I am not referring the exclusion of the rapist from society and nor did you bring up that consideration in your post above.

Note: In no way do I support, condone, rapists.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:16 am
http://www.murderuk.com/serialkillers/straffen.htm

Read the link posted above and ask yourself why this man hasn't murdered a child in fifty years.

Is it:

A. Because he turned to god
B. Because he was cured
C. Becuse he saw the error of his ways
D. Or because he has been locked in a secure prison facility with no hope of release.
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
This just knocks your argument of no-one of sufficient intelligence on the head, being that it has been each consecutive Home Secretary which has kept this man in prison.

There are differences between this case and your complaint about paedophiles - this man was found guilty of murder, not kidnap/assult. The sentencing rules are different for the crimes!

But still it's not the UK (England & Wales) legal system that is at fault here.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:10 pm
So which system IS at fault here:

Is it :

1. The catering system
2. The Film making industry
3. The Electronics industry
4. The clothing trade

5. or Could it possibly have anything to do with the LEGAL SYSTEM
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:17 pm
Damn, talk about hard-headed . . . how many times does it need to be pointed out to you that it is not the legal system which is at fault, but the laws under which it operates?

Jesus Christ . . .
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Damn, talk about hard-headed . . . how many times does it need to be pointed out to you that it is not the legal system which is at fault, but the laws under which it operates?

Jesus Christ . . .

Then the law should be changed dumbo
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:40 pm
Don1 wrote:

Then the law should be changed dumbo

I hope, you got it now.
0 Replies