cynthia mckinney issue

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:33 pm
Recently, Cynthia Mckinney of the US.s Congress is under investigation after she assaulted an officer who grabbed her upon entering the building. The officer had not recognized her as a member and stopped her, upon doing so, she hit him with her cell phone.

Now this brings up the issue of racial profiling and other areas of racism.

What are your perspectives on this?

For me, personally, I usually do not assume something is racist and in this case I certainly don't consider this racial profiling. Personally I believe that when an individual says "it was because i'm <insert ethnicity> when something doesn't go their way, thats the individual who I believe is the racist for making such an accusation. So with regards to the Cynthia Mckinney issue, I believe she is the racist for bringing race into the issue. To me, its not racist unless the act is blatantly a racist one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uttYsDJvboI this is the link to the video detailing the event. Hopefully im not breaking any rules with this thread and link.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,492 • Replies: 127
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 02:26 am
Maybe you need to be a black person from Georgia to understand. Black people from Dixie have good reason to fear and resent police brutality and prejudice. You choose to ignore these facts, so that makes YOU the racist.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:13 am
Wah.

She wasn't in Georgia.

Sorry folks, I'm sick of tired of people getting away with the most senseless acusations merely because they pull the 'race card.' Believe it or not, every time a black person claims they were abused or denied rights it doesn't mean they actually were. Yes, I know - their ancestors suffered through slavery, and there are still many racist folks in this world - but I think that history is taken advantage of by some black people. Of course there are many cases in which the person was indeed violated, but this is not one of them.

I wish I could whine and complain any time something logicial and explainable happened to me that I simply didn't like.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:22 am
She has already apologized for her outburst. This is soooo yesterday.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:48 am
When people pull the race card wherever two or more are gathered to promote their selfish personal agendas (see Jesse Jackson) it denigrates the experiences of those who actually suffer real police brutality and real prejudice.

Cynthia McKinney, apology notwithstanding, is at the least an opportunist (see Jesse Jackson) and most likely a racist, too.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:02 am
Im not a racist, please don't accuse me of being one. As for the apology, I was unaware of it, since all the interviews I've seen on cnn and other news stations she was evasive of direct questions. If there is a video of her apology i would like to see it if you have it.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:11 am
The "apology" - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3777516.html
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:24 am
Another black woman's perspective:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060408/COLUMNIST24/604080349&SearchID=73240944327790
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
Re: cynthia mckinney issue
crayon851 wrote:
To me, its not racist unless the act is blatantly a racist one.

That's like saying "it's not racist unless it's racist." That's no standard, that's an admission that you lack any kind of standard.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:15 am
The Screwing of Cynthia McKinney

By Greg Palast, AlterNet. Posted July

More stories by Greg Palast

Have you heard about Cynthia McKinney, former U.S. Congresswoman?

According to those quoted on National Public Radio, McKinney?s ?a loose cannon? (media expert) who ?the people of Atlanta are embarrassed and disgusted? (politician) by, and she is also ?loony? and ?dangerous? (senator from her own party).

Yow! And why is McKinney dangerous/loony/disgusting? According to NPR, ?McKinney implied that the [Bush] Administration knew in advance about September 11 and deliberately held back the information.?

The New York Times? Lynette Clemetson revealed her comments went even further over the edge: ?Ms. McKinney suggest[ed] that President Bush might have known about the September 11 attacks but did nothing so his supporters could make money in a war.?

That?s loony, all right. As an editor of the highly respected Atlanta Journal Constitution told NPR, McKinney?s ?practically accused the President of murder!?

Problem is, McKinney never said it.

That?s right. The ?quote? from McKinney is a complete fabrication. A whopper, a fabulous fib, a fake, a flim-flam. Just freakin? made up.

http://www.alternet.org/story/16172/
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:27 pm
Yeah, then she changed her hair, hit a cop, & blamed it all on racism.

Loony.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm
That's very, very interesting, Amigo.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:47 pm
Thanks Andrew.

HALLIBURTON REIMBURSEMENT -- (House of Representatives - March 01, 2006)

Ms. McKINNEY. Mr. Speaker, yesterday the Pentagon announced that it is returning $288 out of $300 million it was holding while investigating Halliburton for overcharging, even though Halliburton was previously caught overcharging the Pentagon by $27 million for meals for our troops.

Mr. Speaker, even as tens of thousands of Hurricane Katrina survivors face eviction due to FEMA, the United States Government is handing hundreds of millions of dollars to a company which has been plagued by allegations and admissions of fraud, waste, abuse, bribery and kickbacks.

The Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq was itself unable to account for $9 billion, with over a billion of this reportedly having been lost to Halliburton.

Today, I urge Congress to establish a permanent war profiteering committee modeled after the Truman Commission after the Second World War.

Before this Congress writes the President another blank check, we need to investigate the gross incompetence and even corruption that exists with this administration.

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
I do love the trouble-makers.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:01 pm
http://bioguide.congress.gov/bioguide/photo/M/M000523.jpg

McKINNEY, Cynthia Ann, a Representative from Georgia; born in Atlanta, Fulton County, Ga., March 17, 1955; graduated St. Joseph High School; B.A., University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif., 1978; attended Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Medford, Mass.; diplomatic fellow, Spellman College, Atlanta, Ga., 1984; faculty member, Clark Atlanta University and Agnes Scott College; member of the Georgia state house of representatives, 1988-1992; elected as a Democrat to the One Hundred Third and to the four succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1993-January 3, 2003); unsuccessful candidate for nomination to the One Hundred Eighth Congress in 2002; elected as a Democrat to the One Hundred Ninth Congress (January 3, 2005-present).
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I do love the trouble-makers.
She's a trouble maker alright.

Cynthia McKinney has made her concern for and commitment to America's valiant veterans in no uncertain terms:

"America needs to make a greater effort to care for those who have fought for our nation's independence. We need to ensure that quality veterans' medical centers are available to help our nation's veterans.

There is no reason why someone who is retired from the military should have to choose their pension over any veterans' disability benefits. While in Congress, I cosponsored legislation that would end this inequity and permit concurrent receipt of both retired pay and veterans' disability benefits.

While in Congress, I introduced legislation which passed and is now law, that corrects an unjust provision of Agent Orange compensation. People who had respiratory cancers from their exposure were getting denied their benefits, and that will no longer happen. (Agent Orange Respiratory Cancer Act of 2001, H.R. 1587)

http://www.cynthiaforcongress.com/issues.html

"We know there were numerous warnings of the events to
come on September 11," McKinney said that day. "What did this administration know and when did it know it, about the events of September 11? Who else knew, and why did they not warn the innocent people of New York who were needlessly murdered? What do they have to hide?" McKinney thought she knew the answer. "What is undeniable," she explained, "is that corporations close to the administration have directly benefited from the increased defense spending arising from the aftermath of September 11th." -Cynthia Mckinny From the January 3 / January 10, 2005

Very Happy Peace, Freedom, Justice!!!! -amigo
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:13 pm
contrex wrote:
Maybe you need to be a black person from Georgia to understand. Black people from Dixie have good reason to fear and resent police brutality and prejudice. You choose to ignore these facts, so that makes YOU the racist.

Bullshit.

Racism had nothing to do with it.

Elitism was to blame.

Hers.

Either wear your friggin badge or walk through the friggin sensor.

Interestingly, Naomi Campbell assaulted her maid with a cell phone, recently.

Cell phone assault: It's de riguer among the Diva set!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:13 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:20 pm
Lash wrote:
contrex wrote:

Bullshit.

Racism had nothing to do with it.

Elitism was to blame.

Hers.

Either wear your friggin badge or walk through the friggin sensor.

Interestingly, Naomi Campbell assaulted her maid with a cell phone, recently.

Cell phone assault: It's de riguer among the Diva set!!

You're right, Lash. That Cynthia girl is just an uppity nigra.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 01:26 pm
She's an uppity asshole. I think it's weird you try to make it about race.

Do you think it would be acceptable if she'd been white?
0 Replies