The Smash Fat Diet -- a new diet fad?

Zedd

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:40 pm
I recently watched the Today's Show which interviewed Ian Smith who is the creator of this new diet called Smash Fat Diet. The link to his website is below.

EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed)

It basically contains 4 phases. They are detox, foundation, construction, and temple.

I am thinking of trying this diet. It seems pretty simple and low costs, and it's something that I can do. (unlike other diets which requires excessive cooking and or shopping).

Has anyone tried this diet before? Has it worked for you? Do you know of any online support group for this diet? If you have stories, please share!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,954 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:23 am
I can tell you it's a fad diet just from hearing what the names of the four phases are. Heck, even the name of the Diet itself sounds "fad-ish".

Thing is, this guy does have an MD and he does state in his website that exercise is vital. Maybe taking this diet isn't a bad idea. However, I severely doubt anyone can achieve anything in 90 days.

By all means, take the diet. I don't see anything too bad with some of the recipes he prescribes. However, don't expect any miracles.

EDIT: You know what I find suspicious though? The fact that he's written another diet book called the "Take Control" diet. What? Something wrong with the first diet book, perhaps?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:09 am
All diet plans are fads but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't work. The differences between the two books is how much medical/technical info they contain. The "Smash Fat" book is just the diet and exercise plan without the background info that he provided in his earlier book "Take Control". You're looking for something you can live with long term.

Quote:
Dr. Smith graduated from Harvard College with an AB and received a master's in science education from Columbia University. He attended Dartmouth Medical School and completed the last two years of his medical education and graduated from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. source

He's certainly got the credentials.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:51 pm
I actually tried this diet out just for the fun of it and I lasted about a day. And then afterwards, I developed this pain in my stomach where if I dont eat within 30 minutes of when I feel hungry, my stomach will hurt and then I dont want to eat. Hm, it's very strange. But I think the sudden "detox" was having some negative effect on me. So needless to say, I stopped immediately and just went on to eat my cheesecake, french fries, and junk food....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:39 pm
Any new diet on tv is a fad diet. Newsflash: there is no new dieting methods out there that can replace excercise, or doing your f'n homework and structuring a healthy, well-balanced diet. Spend some time reading about nutrition, it's better than wasting your time relying on someone trying to make a quick buck.

Fad diets are a reason so many people in this country are fat. You end up worse off than when you started.
0 Replies

bobcat26tx

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 04:33 pm
not a fad diet..
I first heard about the Fat Smash Diet on Opie & Anthony (XM channel 202) when the Dr. was on. The concept sounded pretty simple: start with 9 days of getting rid of all the junk in your body by eating only fruits and veg. Spend the rest of the 81 days adding more and more foods to the list that you can eat in the various stages. At the same time you are increasing exercise as well.

The end result is more that your eating and exercise habits will be retrained so that you live a healthier lifestyle. Sure you will drop weight with it, but it's more about changing the habits than just losing XX amount of weight in 90 days. On second thought, this is America.. A diet plan which includes exercise and smarter eating habits?? Must be a fad..
0 Replies