Intelligent Design is not creationism

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:07 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The shrill reactions of all of the opponents here of any questioning of the presumed completeness of materialist-evolutionary models for not only the observable processes of the natural world, but also its, and our, existence, is a sad thing to see. -- Usually I am bemused by the ad hominem attacks, the demands for credentials on the part of antagonists who will not themselves under any circumstances engage the basic questions, the overwrought conspiracy theories, and the unthinking and thoughtless mockery on the part of those who react with horror to any questioning of an obviously incomplete doctrine which evidently they accept with the same fervor with which they accuse those who oppose them. However the intensity of the pileing on here is far out of proportion to the provocation (if indeed that is what it is.) A most unscientific and unphilosophic, display on the part of a mob of offended true believers.

... And the award for the largest vocabulary goes to ...

LOL, I'm humbled.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:10 am
Can you point to the ad hominem attacks which were made against this member? If you refer to Mr. Dembski, can you point to the ad hominem attacks on Mr. Dembski? Do you consider that pointing out that someone is an employee of a religiously funded institution and holds a chair in studies either theological or religious constitutes an ad hominem attack? Do you seriously contend that asking someone to back up a claim that there is empirical evidence for "intelligent design" constitutes "those who react with horror to any questioning of an obviously incomplete doctrine which evidently they accept with the same fervor with which they accuse those who oppose them?"

If that is so, please demonstrate (and this is not an unreasonable request in the context of this thread) the extent to which a theory of evolution is commensurately "an obviously incomplete doctrine" as opposed to the proposition of "intelligent design." That is not to say that i would deny that a theory of evolution has no lacunae--i simply wish to know what preponderance of evidence can be adduced for "intelligent design" which even remotely approaches that which is available for a theory of evolution.

The shrill hysteria of the "secular humanist conspiracy" true believers when they lay about them with accusations is quite a unique sight. This is a transparent and pathetic attempt to employ ad hominem fallacies, and the attacks are leveled at those who will not blindly accept an unsubstantiated claim that "intelligent design" and creationism are not the same thing--"intelligent design," the very quintessence of "an obviously incomplete doctrine."
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:17 am
Word fight! Vocabulary....GO!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
Setanta wrote:

If that is so, please demonstrate (and this is not an unreasonable request in the context of this thread) the extent to which a theory of evolution is commensurately "an obviously incomplete doctrine" as opposed to the proposition of "intelligent design." That is not to say that i would deny that a theory of evolution has no lacunae--i simply wish to know what preponderance of evidence can be adduced for "intelligent design" which even remotely approaches that which is available for a theory of evolution.

I don't believe there is any reason at all to doubt the accuracy of the evolutionary model for the unfolding of the variety of types and species we observe among self-replecating organisms. However, I note that it doesn't explain the origin of life - the first self-replecating organism. Moreover neither it nor physics explains or attempts to explain the source of our existence and that of the material world. Such an explanation would necessarily be outside science as we know it. I don't claim to have one myself either. However I do recognize that an intelligent creator is a possibility, and that the alrernative - here at least - seems to be a denial of the question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
The Secular Humanists are coming ! ! ! The Secular Humanists are coming ! ! !

Good God, Man, don't stand there gawping, get the women and children to safety!

Screw the children!

Priest: Do you think we'll have enough time?

Secular Humanism makes Baby Jesus cry.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:24 am
Was that an example of your dispassionate reasoning?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I don't believe there is any reason at all to doubt the accuracy of the evolutionary model for the unfolding of the variety of types and species we observe among self-replecating organisms. However, I note that it doesn't explain the origin of life - the first self-replecating organism. Moreover neither it nor physics explains or attempts to explain the source of our existence and that of the material world. Such an explanation would necessarily be outside science as we know it. I don't claim to have one myself either. However I do recognize that an intelligent creator is a possibility, and that the alrernative - here at least - seems to be a denial of the question. (emphasis added)

BANG ! ! !

What was that ? ! ? ! ?

Oh, nothing, George just shot himself in the foot again.

Yes, George, you are absolutely correct, there is denial here--the author of this thread denies that "intelligent design" is the same as creationism. The use of an expression such as "intelligent creator" will hardly be charming support from such a point of view.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:31 am
Setanta wrote:

Yes, George, you are absolutely correct, there is denial here--the author of this thread denies that "intelligent design" is the same as creationism. The use of an expression such as "intelligent creator" will hardly be charming support from such a point of view.

My post, quoted by you, had to do with the unfortunate character of your reaction and those of the familiar posters here to his proposition. I have little interest in such definitional questions such as whether creationism is or is not the same as intelligent design.
0 Replies

Teleologist

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:34 am
Quote:
Moreover, it is notable that both Professors Behe and Minnich admitted their personal view is that the designer is God and Professor Minnich testified that he understands many leading advocates of ID to believe the designer to be God.

So what! No one is denying that most ID proponents are theists and therefore BELIEVE the designer is God. In this regard they are no different from theistic evolutionists. Is this judge suggesting that for a theory to be scientific its proponents must all be atheists! In science it doesn't matter what one BELIEVES. What counts is what one HYPOTHESIZES. Now show me where any design theorist posits a supernatural entity as part of a design hypothesis. I haven't seen it. It doesn't matter at all if an ID theorist BELIEVES the designer is God so long as he leaves the supernatural out of his hypotheses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

My post, quoted by you, had to do with the unfortunate character of your reaction and those of the familiar posters here to his proposition. I have little interest in such definitional questions such as whether creationism is or is not the same as intelligent design.

I salute you, George, on this candid admission that you did not come to this thread to discuss the titular subject, but only to snipe at those whom you dislike for doctrinal reasons.

The Secular Humanists are coming ! ! ! The sky is falling ! ! !
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:48 am
Setanta wrote:
Change the noun/subject and that is exactly your reaction and that of the others here to both the proposition in this thread and the question of intelligent design generally. QED

Setanta wrote:
I salute you, George, on this candid admission that you did not come to this thread to discuss the titular subject, but only to snipe at those whom you dislike for doctrinal reasons.

I hope that twist pleased you.

I offered a serious criticism of the general reaction here. The fact is I don't dislike you, Timber or others for doctrinal reasons or any other. You do occasionally irritate me with your bombast, but I have observed that I evidently reciprocate in kind. I do seriously disagree with you, Timber, etc. and regret the collective evasion of the central issue on your parts which pervades this and other threads on the subject.
0 Replies

Teleologist

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
Quote:
Do you seriously contend that asking someone to back up a claim that there is empirical evidence for "intelligent design" constitutes "those who react with horror to any questioning of an obviously incomplete doctrine which evidently they accept with the same fervor with which they accuse those who oppose them?"

The opening post to this thread makes two points. ID isn't creationism and ID isn't anti-evolution. I've yet to see any evidence or valid argument that refutes my positon. Most of the responses consist of insults.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Change the noun/subject and that is exactly your reaction and that of the others here to both the proposition in this thread and the question of intelligent design generally. QED

No, nothing of the kind was to have been demonstrated, and you only make mention of it now because this lampoon of your typical conspiracy hysteria embarrasses you.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:

I hope that twist pleased you.

I offered a serious criticism of the general reaction here. The fact is I don't dislike you, Timber or others for doctrinal reasons or any other. You do occasionally irritate me with your bombast, but I have observed that I evidently reciprocate in kind. I do seriously disagree with you, Timber, etc. and regret the collective evasion of the central issue on your parts which pervades this and other threads on the subject.
[/quote]

The "general reaction" here is one which is germane to contemporary political events in this nation. The people of Dover, Pennsylvania are now saddled with an enormous bill for litigation arising from the attempt to include ID in their school's curricula, by members of the school board who hid their agenda when they ran for the seats on the board. Mr. Justice Jones has all but called the ID proponents liars in their claim that ID is not the same as creationism. The author here makes a hero of Dembsky, and uses pre-Dover quotes of Dembsky to make a claim that ID and creationism are not the same. Dembsky and Behe both got badly burned in the Dover debacle.

This joker shows up here, and attempts to trot out the claim which the court figuratively laughed to scorn. I have greately entertained myself laughing at the proposition. I did not make any ad hominem attacks on the author of this thread, nor on Mssers. Dembsky, et al. You show up, though, with your righteous anger inflamed, playing Knight Templar, or however it is you see yourself, with extravagent charges against those who have laughed at the titular proposition--but have signally failed to prove any of those charges--and have, in fact, articulated a position which also contradicts the titular proposition.

You've got a gall to accuse anyone else of bombast.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:00 pm
There's a lot of boxcar sentences filled with overloaded multi-syllable words that appears to be headed for a train wreck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:01 pm
Teleologist wrote:
The opening post to this thread makes two points. ID isn't creationism and ID isn't anti-evolution. I've yet to see any evidence or valid argument that refutes my positon. Most of the responses consist of insults.

It should be a simple matter to quote the insults, in that case.

You are advancing an extraordinary proposition, especially in light of the ruling in the Dover, Pennsylvania case. Those who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proving them, no one has the burden of disproving them.

Who is your intelligent designer? How is your intelligent designer to be distinguished from any garden variety deity? How does the thesis of intelligent design materially differ from the Reverend Paley's "watch in a field" proposition first published in 1802, and now known as the "watchmaker thesis?"

I've yet to see any evidence to support your position.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:04 pm
I am neither self-righteous nor angry - only disappointed that discussions on this subject so frequently degenerate to shrill name-calling, indignation and denial - all while missing the rather obvious central question.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:05 pm
I think this is being telegraphed into the fact that failing to get Creationism into the schools, the same factions are attempting to boil up a new pot of quasi-religious theories in the attempt to pass them off as science. It's label is ID and it's not fooling any intelligent people including the courts -- a conservative judge threw the attempt out of court, I do believe.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:09 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I am neither self-righteous nor angry - only disappointed that discussions on this subject so frequently degenerate to shrill name-calling, indignation and denial - all while missing the rather obvious central question.

The obvious central question, as you would have it, is what the author of this thread denies to be the truth--that ID is, in fact, creationism by other terms. I've asked you and the author of this thread to point to the "shrill name-calling," and i ask you for your evidence of indignation and denial/

So far, although you've already been asked for such evidence, you have been silent. It is an eloquent silence, however.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:09 pm
Where is this "shrill name calling?" Shrill is by the definition of the word auditory -- it has no translation to the written word UNLESS IT IS IN ALL CAPS. They I might give you shrill.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:23 pm
QED
0 Replies