Intelligent Design is not creationism

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
No donut for you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:13 am
That's also fine with me, 'cause all the ID, Creationism crazy, stupid talk is making my eyes glaze over.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:14 am
Hey, what th... what happened to the quick response box?? Must I now, carefully compose my thoughts? Im so used to quickly responsing that I feel like Im now in front of class reciting.

_Neo- mooga booga , check.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:15 am
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Hey Neo,
would you agree that if you could find a religion inherently more benign than the one you adhere to, it would be sensible to switch?

benign:
Of a kind and gentle disposition.
Showing gentleness and mildness.
Tending to exert a beneficial influence; favorable: a policy with benign consequences for the economy.
Having little or no detrimental effect; harmless: a chemical additive that is environmentally benign.
Medicine. Of no danger to health; not recurrent or progressive; not malignant: a benign tumor.
Not sure I understand what is meant by 'benign consequences for the economy'; but yes, I agree.

Will you also agree?

I'll define the opposite of benign consequences for the economy: religious wars / religious constraints (past or present) as to slavery / homosexuality / woman's rights / freedom of thought / freedom of action / religious intolerance.

As to your second question "Will you also agree?" given I have no religious predilection, I naturally opt for zero religion.

The question I next ask you Neo-son: given you agree if you could find a religion inherently more benign than the one you adhere to, it would be sensible to switch; have you done any comparisons to confirm your religious choice is the most benign? If not why not? If so how do you rationalize Christianity as being the most benign as compared to:

1) Some of the North American Aboriginal religions?

2) Some of the Eastern religions such as Buddhism?

3) The New Age Movement (which unlike most formal religions has no holy text, central organization, membership, formal clergy, geographic center, dogma, creed, etc) ?

4) Deism (which is based on a God who created the universe, and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation)?

5) White Magic (characterized by those rites and spells designed to produce beneficial effects for the community)?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:21 am
neologist wrote:
No donut for you.
Lightwizard wrote:
That's also fine with me, 'cause all the ID, Creationism crazy, stupid talk is making my eyes glaze over.
This guy gets stopped by a cop and the cop says to him, "Your eyes look kind of bloodshot. You been drinking?" So the guy says to the cop, "Your eyes look kinda glazed, you been eating donuts?"

(it fits in a theologically RexRedian kind'a way)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
Laughing Yes, that would get one immediately arrested!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
farmerman wrote:
Hey, what th... what happened to the quick response box?? Must I now, carefully compose my thoughts? Im so used to quickly responsing that I feel like Im now in front of class reciting.

_Neo- mooga booga , check.

See This, which is somewhat Further Addressed Here.

The work goes on, and there's much to be done, with a very small workforce having only so much time available in which to do it. Be patient; major improvements are afoot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:33 am
How much of a work force do you envision as being necessary to combat mooga-booga?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
Minions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:42 am
. A really well-funded Orthodox mooga booga assault ... dont really know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:45 am
Thanks Timber, I just stepped awy for a few hours and yesterday the whole thing was down, and all those symptoms made me feel that I was in some attack mode. Hope its resolved soon. I dont like those emoticons on my left, theyre staring at me.. I can hear their little hearts beating under the floor boards.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:58 pm
Chumly wrote:
I'll define the opposite of benign consequences for the economy: religious wars / religious constraints (past or present) as to slavery / homosexuality / woman's rights / freedom of thought / freedom of action / religious intolerance.
I'm with you. . .
Chumly wrote:
As to your second question "Will you also agree?" given I have no religious predilection, I naturally opt for zero religion.
I submit that zero religion is a belief, at least in comparison to my belief.
Chumly wrote:
The question I next ask you Neo-son: given you agree if you could find a religion inherently more benign than the one you adhere to, it would be sensible to switch; have you done any comparisons to confirm your religious choice is the most benign? If not why not? If so how do you rationalize Christianity as being the most benign as compared to:

1) Some of the North American Aboriginal religions?

2) Some of the Eastern religions such as Buddhism?

3) The New Age Movement (which unlike most formal religions has no holy text, central organization, membership, formal clergy, geographic center, dogma, creed, etc) ?

4) Deism (which is based on a God who created the universe, and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation)?

5) White Magic (characterized by those rites and spells designed to produce beneficial effects for the community)?
I've pretty much kissed all the toads, Chumly. I'm quite the old geezer, you know.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:15 pm
neologist wrote:
If you are inferring that an individual cannot escape being subjective I agree. If you are inferring that by my zero religion action, I therefore hold a belief I disagree. Why? Because I have zero religion on the rational grounds of zero proof, massive logical fallacies, and pragmatic realism, etc. I would however be willing to change that view pending proof. So in my case zero religion is not a belief based perception, it is a rationally based action.
neologist wrote:
I've pretty much kissed all the toads, Chumly. I'm quite the old geezer, you know.
That should make you most aptly able to address my still unanswered question: "how do you rationalize Christianity as being the most benign?"
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:28 pm
I find it hard to believe that some people believe in "white magic". Obviously their rituals have no effect as they would like it, and also they do not hide double meanings in their hypotheses (well from what I've seen anyway). I recently saw a (very) short documentary on a Wiccan woman (who was married to a snake god). She performed a spell that she said would make the presenter rich within the month. Nothing happened.

What do they gain from this belief?

There is the problem, that, if a woman believes wearing a special item will make her lucky, and she becomes no luckier, there is no way of telling how lucky she would have been if she hadn't worn the item. (This is ignoring the fact that (from my point of view anyway) luck is a theoretical thing and does not actually exist).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
If you are inferring that an individual cannot escape being subjective I agree. If you are inferring that by my zero religion action, I therefore hold a belief I disagree. Why? Because I have zero religion on the rational grounds of zero proof, massive logical fallacies, and pragmatic realism, etc. I would however be willing to change that view pending proof. So in my case zero religion is not a belief based perception, it is a rationally based action.
Yer splittin' hairs, Chum.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
That should make you most aptly able to address my still unanswered question: "how do you rationalize Christianity as being the most benign?"
Are you talking about nominal christianity? I wouldn't consider it benign at all.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:31 pm
WhoodaThunk wrote:
I did a fast scroll-through of this thread ... the usual suspects hurling the usual invectives at the usual targets by-and-large ... I really have neither the time nor the stomach to read nine pages of the stuff.

Having said that ... just thought I'd share some tales from the school where I teach. Apparently this is Big Bang Week in the science department. One poor first-year teacher is doing her very best to teach a concept she does not believe, but must impart as proven fact as required by law here in the Great State of Ohio. Apparently that's the easy part. The hard part is when she has to field questions after the lecture. Some of this spilled over into my class and I, too, did my level best to maintain the party line without compromising my own principles.

Is ID a theory with obvious flaws? Sure. But so is Darwinism. Yet which is being taught as unquestioned fact and which is the subject of litigation and ridicule? The bottom line is a bunch of savvy 15-year-olds did an admirable job of asking the right questions and exposing some very gaping holes in the fabric of evolutionary "science" despite the efforts of very many adults trying to teach them otherwise.

Yes, it's great fun to hoot and sneer at the author of this thread through the insular protection of the internet, but it would be even greater fun to watch said hooters defend their "facts" in a real world classroom - an actual level playing field, God forbid. 'Twould be quite a different shooting gallery, actually, and great, great fun, indeed!

Laughing holy moly
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:39 am
The demographics must be drastically different from mine as all the schools I went to had absolutely no problem with the students understanding concepts of the Big Bang, the paleoanthropoly study of evolution nor any other science for that matter. Each on their own level depending on how good a student they were but even the Catholic students had no problem understanding. I'd like to know what these "holes" in evolution study are as opposed to the gaping holes of ID or Creationism (they are virtually interchangeable, just a wolf in sheep's clothing).
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:30 pm
Intelligent design is not creationism but,

Milk is not non dairy creamer.

Still works the same.

Dilutes the bitter taste of coffee...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:02 pm
Intelligent Design is to Creationism, as Peanut Butter is to peanuts.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:07 pm
farmerman wrote:
Intelligent Design is to Creationism, as Peanut Butter is to peanuts.

Like science is to the nutty professor?
0 Replies