Do you see dead people?

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:03 pm
Preface: I am not a religious person. I just say that all I know about God is that I don't know. I like to think there is some thing bigger and smarter than the human race somewhere in the universe and he/she is keeping a list of who has been naughty or nice, but I have no evidence either way. I like to think that death is not the end, just a transition to something different. That said...

I have a friend who is in hospice and will probably die within the next few weeks. Her body is falling apart, but her mind is still working. She speaks clearly and her memory is fine. The odd thing is that twice now she has mentioned to me that her mother and her mother's sister have visited her. Her mother died at least 10 years ago and she never met her mother's sister (her aunt) because she died in a concentration camp around 1942. She says they don't actually speak to her but stand at her bedside and make her feel loved. She says both of them look to be in their 20's, but she knows who they are and she is comforted by their presence. I just tell her she is lucky to be having such an experience.

I had one such odd experience a few of years ago while house sitting. The oldest part of the house was built in 1789 and had been in the same family for generations. It was rumored to be haunted. It was sold to two male friends of mine who did some respectful restoration, especially in the old keeping room that had a walk in fireplace complete with cooking apparatus. I was in a little room that had been turned into a pantry and was connected to the keeping room by a narrow hallway. I could see the fireplace when looking from the pantry down the little hallway. I was getting some food for the cat when I suddenly saw an elderly black man standing in profile next to the fireplace smoking a pipe. He had on dark brown pants and a white shirt with yellow stains. I froze and I wanted to scream but my throat closed up. I couldn't imagine how he got into the house - and then it was like I blinked and he was gone. I told my friends what happened when they returned and they informed me that the house was owned for years by the same black family who had farmed it from the late 1700's until the depression of the 1930's. They said they had never seen anything, but the electrician who worked on the place said he saw a black man walking into the barn one day at dusk and when he went in to confront him he couldn't find him. I have no idea if what I saw was a ghost (I do not claim they exist), but I do know I saw something or someone.

So do you see dead people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,906 • Replies: 98
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:50 pm
My grandmother was dying of lymphoma and had much the same experience. She would come in and out of consciousness at the end and at one point she said that she had seen her mother and grandmother and that they were there to take care of her when her time came. It was a very eery and moving experience.

In the cold light of day, it's arguable that it was just a dream or hallucination or the efforts of a dying consciousness to ease the path to death, or some other rational and scientific explanation. Personally, I just don't know.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:16 pm
Even if you do see them, doesn't mean they are there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:38 pm
Simple answer - yes

( this serves as a book mark, as I dont have time to write more)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:41 pm
Do come back when you have time SheWolf. I understand what Eorl is saying, but when it happens you sure know it and I have no logical explanation for my own experience.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:47 pm
<turns down corner of the page to bookmark>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
I have not 'seen' anything, but on a number of occasions i felt a presence. Strange thing to me was that rather than scary, freaky or unsettling, it was immensely soothing and empowering. I felt i could do anything. It was an old house, from 1835, and all I know is that it was a female presence... errr, no idea how or why, it just felt that way.

Question though. Why is it always old houses that are haunted? Why not an apartment in a modern building where somebody died tragically or whatnot... what's up with the old houses? There is no justification for that.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
Schizophrenics will happily tell you that what they see and feel is absolutely real too. So will some religious folk who feel stuff they later understand to be self delusion. That leaves us with only one way to determine the truth. Objective measurement. Boring, I know.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm
I see dead people in Washington. Well, at least mentally.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
I once looked at an apartment in a building circa 1950 and was warned it was haunted by a hippie girl. I was told she looked like Twiggy and tenants saw her in various parts of the building. Maybe she died of a drug overdose or some other 60's malady. I didn't get the apartment so I never had the opportunity to find out if there was anything behind the rumors.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:59 pm
Not religious, Eorl - I was born a heathen and will die one. Not schizophrenic, or depressive, or even ADD - nada. I believe in science, but that doesn't mean I will shut my eyes and mind from something I cannot rationally explain.

LW - you're talking sense. I see those too!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:00 pm
I've had a number of people tell me they've seen dead people. They always see them when I'm not there.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:36 am
I've seen alot and when it does happen to you, it takes on a whole new meaning then what you are use to seeing in everday life. The veil between worlds is lifted and it can be quite frightning until you are use to it.

I'm sorry this is happening GreenWitch. I do believe there is an afterlife. It would just seem so pointless to die and that's it.

Man...I was just thinking how crazy everyone thinks I am. But I don't care.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:02 am
Dreams. I sometimes "see" & talk to my (dead) father in my dreams. I awake with a very comforted & warm feeling. I miss him a lot.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:05 am
Some people have seen others while astral traveling and thought they were dead too.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:20 am
Seems like a good time to remind everyone that James Randi has a million bucks up for grabs....for anyone who can prove anything supernatural at all (gods, ghosts and gremlins included)
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:56 am
msolga wrote:
Dreams. I sometimes "see" & talk to my (dead) father in my dreams. I awake with a very comforted & warm feeling. I miss him a lot.

Same here. My dead grandmother visits me frequently in my dreams...I talk to her and wake up happy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 02:09 am
sakhi wrote:
msolga wrote:

Same here. My dead grandmother visits me frequently in my dreams...I talk to her and wake up happy.

Very Happy

Yes, sakhi.

Sometimes I forget just how much the presence of my father made me feel OK in a very dysfunctional family. After one of these dreams it all comes back to me. His presence made life so much warmer for everyone, not just me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:09 am
Oy! I wish I had kindly dead folk visit me in MY dreams.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:03 am
I see my mom and dad in my dreams all the time. They've been gone for many years. But that's not quite the same as running into them -- or any other dead person -- in the waking state, is it?
0 Replies