Honey We're Killing the Kids

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:19 pm
Saw a commercial for this new reality tv show the other day and thought it looked great. A nutrionist comes into the home and shows parents how their kids will look when they are 40 based on their dieting habits...the computer transformation is unreal. Anyone know what show I am talking about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,096 • Replies: 25
No top replies

graemedaulby

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:37 pm
yes, its scary. i shuder to think what i would look like if they put me on there
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:46 pm
I think that's a load of hooey.

I eat like crap and I don't look a day over 18. And I am not 18.

Looking old has a lot to do with genetics and the environmental factors play a part too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
or duct taping your skin behind your ears so you dont have chicken neck.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:51 am

Looking old has a lot to do with genetics and the environmental factors play a part too.

Yes it does have to do with genetics but it is also a combination. My friends parents use to be normal before having kids but now they and their kids are overweight -- if they watched what they ate, they could possibly lose a good 15-20lbs. They could be excellent candiates for this show.

And plus the show does not show that you look old -- it shows how overweight you will be based on how you eat now. I think it is a great idea to show parents the harms of eating foods with high in sugars, sodium, and fat...and the benefits of exercising.

Premieres Monday -- should be good!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:55 am
Ohhhh, ok. So they say you get fat if you eat junk. Well, duh. That's a given.

Eat McDonalds every day for 10 years and you will be fat. Hello. Do we really need to educate people on this and show them what will happen if they eat like that?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:23 pm
If they'd have checked me out when I was a kid and made predictions I'd now be made out of Quik and Pixie Stix.

Instead, at 45, I'm pretty fit and healthy.

Therefore I join in the hooey chorus.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:43 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Ohhhh, ok. So they say you get fat if you eat junk. Well, duh. That's a given.

Eat McDonalds every day for 10 years and you will be fat. Hello. Do we really need to educate people on this and show them what will happen if they eat like that?

Well it might be a given to you but to some families it is not and that is what is really sad -- there are a lot people out there that dont realize the harms of their eating habits and this show was designed to help educate them.

Here is a link to an article I read on the show...

http://www.realitytvwebsite.com/news032506b.html

I think this show will be beneficial to healthy and unhealthy people...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:44 am
It is sad that people are that dumb. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that "no exercise + fatty food = fat person"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:25 am
Bella Dea wrote:

You're correct in that genetics play a really big part...but a big part of environmental factors are the foods you eat.

For me, I compare myself to some my siblings who don't eat as well as I do. I definitley look younger than them at the same age.

Plus, when I've gone through brief spates (meaning 2 or 3 days) of garbage eating, I feel so bad it reflects on my looks....as soon as I get on track, I blossom.

I've seen your picture Bella, and you are very bella. However, have you ever considered you might be even more beautiful if you didn't eat like crap?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:26 am
Chai Tea wrote:

I've seen your picture Bella, and you are very bella. However, have you ever considered you might be even more beautiful if you didn't eat like crap?

Of couse.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
Oh, plus, believe me, it all catches up to you one day.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 08:15 am
I know....boy do I know. Combined with the meds, I've managed to pack on some pounds. Not happy about it. And changing my lifestyle because of it.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:41 pm
I always wonder what I would look like if I did not eat like crap too. Anyways, I am looking forward to this show -- think it will be a good one. Maybe it will make a light bulb spark in my head Smile
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:47 pm
I'd watch this show once at least, just to see how crappy/cool the technology is that ages the kids.

As an actual method of shaping people up, it makes me laugh - and a little p.o.ed. I'll get over it.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:41 pm
Well, geez, if this is such a big "duh" to everyone, how come so many American kids are so f*cking fat?
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
flushd wrote:
I'd watch this show once at least, just to see how crappy/cool the technology is that ages the kids.

As an actual method of shaping people up, it makes me laugh - and a little p.o.ed. I'll get over it.

Actually, The Today Show had a 10 min segment on the show this morning interviewing the nutritionist of the show and her kids...they computerized her kids when they were 40 based on their eating habits and it was unreal how much better they would look at 40 if they ate healthy compared if they did not. I was shocked! Did anyone else catch the segment this morning??
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:05 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Well, geez, if this is such a big "duh" to everyone, how come so many American kids are so f*cking fat?

You know what cypher, that is an absolutely excellent question...and I'll be damned if I can figure that one out either.

Actually, I'll take that back...it's all about selective hearing and wishful thinking.

I'll get corrected by at least one person I'm sure over what I'm gonna say, but it's what I've observed for decades and believe in my gut (pun intended)

For the last 40 years (and with the same frequency, meaning almost daily for the last 40 years) I have heard the exact same message. Eat more fruits and vegetables, move your ass around some, don't snack and if you do don't eat lard.

I think it's a total crock of sh!t when people say they don't know anything about how to eat. If they can keep up with who's marrying who in Hollywood, they can figure out fried chicken isn't health food. They just choose to not hear what's blasted over the airwaves every single day. That way, it's a big mystery and beyond their control.

Damn, I remember being about 5 years old, and some neighbor lady was making lunch for her toddler, and asked me if I wanted a sandwich....sure.
She gave me one and I took a bite, and spit it out. I didn't know what was wrong, but something was really bad. I opened the sandwich and saw all this yellow stuff on both sides of the bread, really thick. I thought it was vasaline.

She had put butter on both sides of the bread, then meat, mayo and cheese. She got mad a me when I couldn't eat it. She told me I had to learn to eat a sandwich the "right" way and my mother was doing it wrong. This woman weighed probably 250 lbs and her toddler was a porker too.

Sure, sure, that's the way she learned to do it...but you can't tell me she didn't know that was not very healthy. I mean, I was 5 and knew that much Gilbert.

And the gene factor, that only goes so far...I know all about that, my parents were both large...and I'm no longer thin. If you look back a couple generations though....well, I don't have to tell you the rest, you've all heard it.

Instead of watching this show, people should go for a walk.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:52 pm
I strongly suspect that one day they may actually prove that
there REALLY IS A VIRUS responsible for being overweight like
UV light causing aging of the skin, or that it is pure
genetic material...immutable, try as hard you may.
You are born to be what that VERY FIRST CELL DECIDED, as
it divided and divided and divided a zillion times over, then
differentiated into skin cells, bone cells, liver cells, heart cells,
muscle cells, blood cells and on and on and on ALL FROM ONE
SINGLE CELL. I've a sneaking feeling that we simply are not
powerful enough to ALTER what has been pre ordained from
the moment of our birth.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
happytaffy wrote:
flushd wrote:

Actually, The Today Show had a 10 min segment on the show this morning interviewing the nutritionist of the show and her kids...they computerized her kids when they were 40 based on their eating habits and it was unreal how much better they would look at 40 if they ate healthy compared if they did not. I was shocked! Did anyone else catch the segment this morning??

This is the reason there are so many fat kids.

Does fat travel to the brain, too? What you said ......pains me.
0 Replies