ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:32 pm
Sure you do...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:33 pm
You know what is really delicious, dys? A mayo and olive sandwich. Not bad in a martini, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:36 pm
My mother used to make those, Letty, I remember liking them. Heh, MsOlga would hate that...

She used the little cans of sliced black olives and I think it was Wonder Bread.

Hmmm, maybe that's where my olive liking all started.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:53 pm
Well, Osso. I could sit and eat an entire jar of the pimento stuffed olives, but not too fond of a Greek salad with those black olives in it.

Believe it or not, olives and pickles are marvelous together. I also like hot and I mean hot finger peppers.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:10 pm
Letty wrote:
You know what is really delicious, dys? A mayo and olive sandwich. Not bad in a martini, either.

Shocked , mayo in a martini
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:11 pm
Black olives, cream cheese, and sprouts on a bagel. One of the great sandwiches of the western world...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:17 pm
dj, you're funny, but after one or two martini's who cares what you eat or drink. <smile>

Oh, Wow! Wy. (omit the black olives) and stick with the cream cheese on a bagel, and you have the greatest sandwich of the sub tropical world. <smile>
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:18 pm
had a really nice focacia type bread a while back with black olives and rosemary in it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
My Market Bakery in Kensington Market carries a phenomenal olive bread.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
i think that's the place i got my bagels, i saw some amazing looking olive bread in that bakery, kept thinking i should have bought some

next time i guess
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:43 pm
from www.virtualitalia.com -

Grilled Black Olive and Rosemary Focaccia - Focaccia al Rosemarino ed Olive alla Griglia

Although focaccia is traditionally baked in an oven, this recipe employs the use of a grill, enabling the bread to take on a hint of smoky smell and flavor. Preparation time: 3 hours 55 minutes.

6 fl oz water, 105º-115ºF (40º-45ºC)
2 3/4 c bread flour, more as needed
1/4 oz active dry yeast 1/4 tsp granulated sugar, or honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more, to taste
24 calamata olives, pitted and halved
1 tsp rosemary, chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper, fresh cracked, to taste
2 fl oz extra-virgin olive oil

Make a sponge by thoroughly combining the water, 1 3/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and sugar or honey in a large bowl, or the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with a dough hook. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The sponge should be thick, foamy, and bubbly with a strong yeasty aroma. Blend in the remaining 1 cup flour and the salt. Knead the dough until a smooth, elastic dough is formed. Shape the dough into a ball and rub it lightly with olive oil, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Shape into rounds and let rest while preparing the pans: Lightly coat two 8-inch round cake pans with olive oil and sprinkle generously with cornmeal. Gently tap out the excess. Place a ball of dough in each pan. With your fingertips, push the dough out, working from the center, until it covers the pan. (If the dough sticks to your fingers, dip them in some olive oil.). Press the olives into the dough. Sprinkle with the rosemary and pepper.

Cover the pans with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat a grill to high heat. Place the pans on the upper shelf, cover the grill and cook the focaccia until done. While still warm, brush generously with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cool on wire racks. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.

Yields: 2 Loaves.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:58 pm
I have two things to report:

First: my favorite lunch is Mediterranean.

Olives, lots of different kinds, slices of cheese and Prosciutto, a crunchy hunk of crusty bread drizzled with, or dunked in, a nice olive oil and salt. There should be a dark red wine nearby.

Second: There is nothing better in a hamburger than green olives. Try it.
Slice the olives pretty thin and cook as you would normally.

Or, if you want to try the original, go to McIntrye's Drive-in in San Angelo and order one from the waitress who strides up to your car on a brilliantly hot West Texas afternoon and asks "Yeah? What ya'll want?"

Joe(Order it with a Dr. Pepper and Peanuts and a piece of Blackbottom Pie)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:03 pm
Mmmmmmm.

Osso[I've put olives in meatloaf]buco
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:23 pm
A local fast food franchise here, Burger Street, has an olive burger with mayo and green olives. It's the only reason I stop there.

I stop by the gourmet store every so often for those tiny Spanish green olives...what are they called?

My very favorite, though, is the oil-cured French black olives with herbs de Provence. Discovered them at a street market in Arles a few years ago, then became ecstatic when I discovered the gourmet shop here imports them. I like to make a lunch of them with a French baguette and some garlicky hummus.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
Whole Foods olive bar

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/cary/images/olives.jpg

mmmmmmm

I bought a container of the spicey European mix yesterday
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
mmmmmm
0 Replies