EV (electric Vehicle) conversion, has anyone done one?

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:28 am
I am looking at doing an electric conversion (from a gas vehicle) for my commute car. I travel about 30-35 miles one way so I figure this makes sense as a commuter. The info I've looked at makes this sound doable. I was wondering if any one was familiar with a conversion. I was thinking in this order for a donor car 1. VW Rabbit pick-up, 2. VW Rabbit (convertable) 3. Chevy s-10 or Ford Ranger pick-up 4.some other smaller light weight sedan.
Of course all of the above need to have "armstrong"steering. The power brakes can be assisted with a vacuum booster. Question on steering, can an auxillary motor be hooked up to the power steering pump and run on a seperate battery to facilitate using the PS? In the same vein can an auxillary motor be hooked up to run an A/C unit...this would be cool (in more than one way).
A couple of other benefits besides helping keep the air cleaner, My boss said I could have a special parking spot (killer location) with a charging station and then they could be eligible for carbon credits. The place I work is very pollution consious so this is a win-win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,510 • Replies: 1
No top replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 09:43 pm
Jackofalltrades,

Your plan to convert a gas vehicle to an electric one might possibly work. However, don't tie it to any pollution solutions. Where do you think electricity comes from?
It ain't the good fairy.

I believe coal is used for most of the production of electricity in our country. Many coal- generatiing power plants are located far from the the users. So, we pollute an environment thousands of miles and let them sort out the pollution problems!

On a vacation trip in the great northwest, we stopped at a small town in the far west of Nebraska. There was a huge coal-burning power plant on the outskirts.
I asked the proprietor what the plant was for and he said "Oh, that's generating electricity for Los Angeles."

There seems to be an awful lot of people not very well informed on environmental issues. I hope you check around to see where your electricity comes from.
0 Replies