Cynna

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:05 pm
My buddy was doing some upgrades on my 'puter the other night, added a firewall, etc. He noticed the Broadjump stuff pretty quick (he's a 'net security expert, teaches classes at a college on this). From what he could ascertain this is a spyware program, though he wasn't sure how malicious it might be.

Calling Telus (my ISP) got a techie who played dumb, but finally admitted that the Broadjump program is not required at all by me.

So we uninstalled it, rebooted. Surprise surprise - it reappeared. Nothing we could do would kill this program. We googled like mad and didn't find any solutions, just further info on people with the same experiences. One site explained that Broadjump also leaves some holes, making you very vulnerable to viruses slipping in.

I'm fairly bothered that Telus would put this on, and moreso that they act completely daft about it's existance (it sounded like the tech really had no choice there).

None of the 'uninstall' solutions have worked so far here - I'd love to see one that kills it if anyone has that info. Also, anything definitive on what it does exactly would be appreciates.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:39 pm
That site you linked to is a tad hyperbolic, overrating the "threat" to sell software.

And I suspect it's just plain wrong on a few points.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

KristyMia

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:06 pm
Broad Jump Client Foundation
As my lovely child downloaded a stupid "arcade" type game that had a virus attached to it I was trying uninstall anything and everything that I didn't need and same as the rest of you guys, ran across this BJCF program. On the onset of the uninstallation process, I got that "threat warning" ... "don't do it...it will screw your computer all up". So I searched around and found this discussion in addition to other various sites basically saying the same thing that you have already discussed. As I am running XP, I did a quick rollback save "just in case"... I shut the .exe file running in the task manager and went ahead and deleted it. Upon deletion, it said that one file was left in the registry that had to be deleted, which I did and restarted my PC, and "wha-la", it's gone. I am not familiar with the ISP that guys mentioned, but I am running DSL through Eatel. There isn't any "specific" program that is needed to run the DSL as so many other ISP make you install. Maybe this is why I didn't have a problem. (???) I previously had Cox cable which required a program to run it and I believe this is where the BJCF came from. Again ????. I had noticed the BJCF before and just left it because I didn't feel like fooling with it..but after the virus incident, I really needed to clean things up. On the Add/Remove section, it indicated that the file was "rarely" used, however, what struck me odd was that the last day of use was none other than "today". Idea So, I ponder on this...I KNOW this was not installed through my current DSL ISP, Eatel, as I previously said, it was already there. In fact, upon installation of DSL, the tech didn't even install anything..I know, because I watched "everything" he was doing. So my pondering is this, "WHO" or "HOW' was the program initiated if it wasn't by me? After much reading about the BJCF I am "convinced" this is indeed spyware. As always, I could be wrong...but "I" have "never" touched the program...in fact; 1) Since I didn't know what it was, I didn't have a need to execute it, and 2) It doesn't show up in the "All Programs" list, so it didn't just "accidently" get executed. So, if I didn't do execute it and Eatel didn't install it, exactly "who" activated it?????? Yet another mystery... 2 Cents for your thought!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:24 am
It's only spyware depending on what you consider spyware.

IMO fishin' nailed it here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=581248#581248

Then again, I did not verify this but I trust fishin' when it comes to computers (and most other stuff since he'll rarely say anything without knowing what he's talkin' about. ;-) ).

Welcome to A2K KristyMia!
0 Replies

KristyMia

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:08 pm
Twisted Evil Okay, this is really buggin' me now! I hate "not knowing"...I am really aggravating in that degree! Drunk Although, I fortunately Very Happy didn't have any problems uninstalling this silly little program, it just bugs me not knowing...so I e-mailed my ISP, Eatel and basically asked them the same questions that I posted last night. Eatel has a "wonderful" tech support and generally get back to me within a day or two via e-mail. Since they are not the ones that installed in on my PC (as I had Cox previously) they should give me the low-down on it. I e-mailed them so I could copy/paste their exact response. If they give me a "squirly" answer, I guess I will just have to call them and "force" it out 'em. Twisted Evil But again, I add, they have a great service and a wonderful tech support team, I really don't think I will have a problem getting a decent response. As soon as I hear back from them I will let you guys know!
0 Replies

floating bard

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:18 pm
Broadjump
Does anybody really have the lowdown on Broadjump. A friend of mine had peoplesoft and he ran out of space on his hard drive. A computer programmer deleted it, and he had tons of space. The tech said it had grown very large by storing everything my friend had done on the interet.
Sounds like a cancer. Does anybody have info.?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:00 pm
Odd that it would create a file large enough to impact on a hard drive, but I suppose it certainly could. Broadjump is unnescessary to the operation either of your machine or your internet connection. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, it is used by some ISPS and some peripheral vendors as a sort of backchannel communication service, ostensibly, if you go for the most common answer, to facillitate product updates for software and to aid ISPs in load balancing. Dump it.
0 Replies

KristyMia

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:08 pm
Eatel never got back to me...I guess it might be because I cancelled their DSL service. As great as their Customer Support "was"... my Cable is MUCH better. So, I didn't get the low down and dirty from them. I DID however, get the low down and dirty from "The Cable Guy". When the guy came to install the cable stuff I asked him about it. He said they don't use BJCF, but he previously had COX and they do use it. He said that was one of the "first" things he deleted off his machine once he got it installed. ISP's "claim" that it is for monitoring how many people are on the net, but we all know, "that really isn't the truth" as they already "know" who is on the net "without" the program. Idea Think about... He said that he personally feels that it is Spyware. So, if it is Spyware, herein lies the problem Evil or Very Mad - Even though the ISP put it on the PC with their software, "for their nosy use", other people could possibly use it to their advantage. Therein lies the problem!!!!! DELETE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Nosy people!!!!!! Like we don't have enough aggravation with everyone else putting trash on our computers, we got our very own ISP's (which might I add, pay very well for) doing the same and helping to contribute to their funky cause. Fortunately for me, I don't have this problem any longer as my current cable service doesn't use it. But for those of you that keep getting re-installed by your provider is pure CRAP!!!!! Me personally, if it got re-installed on my PC after I deleted it by my ISP, I would be doing some SERIOUS hell raising! If the hell raising didn't work, I would most definitely cancel my service and make sure that "EVERYONE" knew how crappy they are!!!! Drunk But that's just me!
0 Replies

Madscotsman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
Hello

The truth is I'm not even certain what the forum is all about yet, quite frankly because you are the first site Google brought me to on the subject of Broad Jump.

At the time my Firewall, called Advanced from Freedom, which I rent from my ISP Bell Sympatico, was prompting me as to blocking or allowing BJCF. While it waited for me to make a decision I read this thread and decided on BLOCK.

...To which I get a screen something akin to the Blue Screen of Death I used to get on my old, buggy 386!

It said something about having to shut down, to contact a techy and that my physical memory was being dumped (I'm not even sure what that means).

I promptly freaked out, reset the comp and uninstalled the bastard as quickly as I could manage. I haven't reset since then, so I don't know if it'll come back. Before uninstallation it claimed to not have been used since 2002...

please ponder on this. I would like to bring up the idea of actually finding and contacting this company, not our ISPs, and finding out what they are all about.

Thank you
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
Here ya go Madscotsman:
You wrote:

The truth is I'm not even certain what the forum is all about yet, quite frankly because you are the first site Google brought me to on the subject of Broad Jump ... please ponder on this. I would like to bring up the idea of actually finding and contacting this company, not our ISPs, and finding out what they are all about ...

BroadJump Inc
9715 Burnet Road Building 6, Suite 500
Austin TX 78758
United States
Phone: 512-908-4400
FAX: 512-908-4450
Email: [email protected]
http://www.broadjump.com

Enjoy.

Oh, and this forum is all about just about whatever you want it to be about ... its of, for, and by its members, a group among which now you are numbered. Welcome aboard.
0 Replies

JMFRITZ

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
I was having trouble the first time I brought up Internet Explorer EVERY DAY! IE would hang the computer so tightly that the only recourse was to do a power down/up. The problem was eliminated once I uninstalled Broadjump. Everything is now working fine so I recommend removing it as it is obviously using PC resources.

I'm running Windows 98 and connecting through a 2Wire HomePortal router to SBC Yahoo DSL. I had SBC Yahoo DSL before I installed the router so I'm not sure how long Broadjump has had free room and board.

Good Luck!!!
0 Replies

imallens

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
Thank you for the Broadjump info
Just deleted Broadjump....hopefully the problems will go away.
Very Happy
0 Replies

jkgirl43701

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 06:24 pm
Thanks guys and gals for all the advice. It's amazing what SBC Yahoo won't tell you. I emailed them today and asked why, after getting SBC Yahoo DSL, I am now getting all kinds of virus warnings. They told me to call McAfee because that's who I was getting the virus warnings from. Geez...I just deleted Broadjump, so let's see if the viruses don't stop! Very Happy
0 Replies

jkgirl43701

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
I wanted to add also, that I was having trouble printing from Adobe and now, since I have deleted Broadjump, it is working...amazing huh?
0 Replies

boomerex

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:16 am
FANTASTIC info at this site. My CFD.exe question was answered within 5 minutes.

"soserene" rhetorically asked if this was the program for Connection Manager, to which "fishin'" replied Connection Manager is based on Broadjump Client Foundation. IF I remove or deny Internet access to CFD.exe, what affect is that going to have with the Connection Manager?

Other posts have said deleting the file will not affect our 'puters, OR connection capabilities.

Thanks ALL for your insights and help.... Laughing
0 Replies

elvia311

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:39 pm
so i can delete it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
elvia311 wrote:
so i can delete it?

Unless you happen to be one of the few people out there that have a lot of connection problems that you need to rely heavily on your ISP's support to reslove it's perfectly safe to delete it. If you do fall into that small subset of users you might be better off keeping it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:33 pm
If you're real nervous about it, just rename it to something like (filename).old untill you're sure you're comfortable without it. If things turn out unwell, you can always revert it back to the original filename and things will be as they were before you started playin' with 'em.
0 Replies

serenas-favorite

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:50 am
Re: Broad Jump
GregK wrote:

Some words to the wise: Disabling Internet access to CFD.exe is not enough. There are about 15 processes (.dlls) that Boadjump runs that also access the net (at least they are on my firewalls component list). These must be internet disabled. Check the broadjump directory for the dlls and then deny them permissions in your firewall.

Rolling Eyes CAN YOU LIST THE DLLS? AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN "INTERNET DISABLED?" I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED BOTH BROADJUMP SOFTWARE BEFORE I CHECKED THE DIRECTORY.

Or better yet, if you don't want Broadjump to run at all (who wants the overhead?) you could uninstall it or go into the registry (I run XP Home)and in key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run delete the key for auto-running CFD.exe. This will stop it from automatically running at system startup.

Rolling Eyes I DIDN'T SEE THIS IN THAT PART OF THE REGISTRY. I HAVE XP HOME TOO, SERVICE PACK 2.

Also, in the Windows\system32 directory you should find an ".xml" file that broadjump creates. I didn't see anything of interest in it but then again I caught Broadjump at first statup after installation. Others may find it interesting if it has been spying for awhile. I renamed it, just to be safe.

Rolling Eyes WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE XML FILE? I SAW ONLY ONE NAMED WMPSCHEME. IS THIS IT?

P.S. I TOO GOT THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT BROAD JUMP WAS BEING USED BY SBC DSL'S CONNECTION MANAGER AND DELETING IT COULD AFFECT INTERNET CONNECTION. I CALLED SBC'S TECH SUPPORT AND THE GUY OVER 4 TIMES SKIRTED THE CFD.EXE ISSUE. HE KEPT TELLING ME THAT IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM, THAT I SHOULD DISABLE ALL FIREWALLS AND ONLY RUN 1 ANTIVIRUS (DID NOT HAVE ANY RUNNING AT THE TIME). HE SENT ME GO TO NETWORK CONNECTIONS AND RIGHT-CLICK ON LOCAL AREA CONNECTION UNDER LAN. PROPERTIES, CLICK ON INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) AND HIT THE PROPERTIES BUTTON. HE HAD ME CLICK THE DOT THAT SAID USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES: PREFERRED: 151.164.1.8 AND FOR ALTERNATE: 206.13.28.12. HOPE HE DIDN'T MESS WITH ME IN ANY WAY AND FIX IT SO CMD GETS BACK ON. ALREADY AFTER UNINSTALLING THE #$%@ THING THIS COMPUTER SEEMS TO RACE ALONG!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT MY OWN ISP WOULD DO SOMETHING SO NASTY!
AND MAKE ME PAY FOR IT AS WELL WITH THEIR HIGH PRICES!
THIS TECH IDIOT SUGGESTED I REFORMAT THE COMPUTER. WELL, WE ALREADY DID THAT 3 MONTHS AGO BECAUSE NOTHING WAS FIXING THE SLOWNESS. IT TOOK ABOUT 60-90 SECONDS JUST TO OPEN A FOLDER, IF IT WOULD AT ALL. NOW IT IS 1/4 SECOND. Laughing Laughing Laughing

THANK GOD I FOUND THIS FORUM. BLESS YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR TIPS. Very Happy
0 Replies

lighty

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
Thank you all for your help. Yet another side effect - my wireless internet would disconnect every 3 minutes, thanks to bjcfd. I've done the registry edit as suggested (wth is all that junk?!) but uninstall won't work for me - it did nothing. So I've copied the file to trash... but if anyone knows how to force-uninstall, I'd appreciate a heads-up.
Lighty
0 Replies