Mustang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:40 pm
Was going through all the mixture of items shown in my Control Panel and came upon 'Broad Jump Client Foundation.' Tossed it into Google and can't get a really definitive description of what it is. Should I get rid of it and if I do, will I mess up anything else on my computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 147,374 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:47 pm
I'm fairly certain that uninstalling it will not harm your computer but it might be hard to uninstall.

If you want you can test it by renaming its files or its folder and waiting a while.

What OS are you using?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:59 pm
BTW, to uninstall it you will probably need to kill CFD.exe's processes in task manager.

To get to task manager you can press CTRL + ALT + DEL or right click on your tsk bar and select task manager.

You will need to end CFD.exe if you want to uninstall it.

Before you take my word for it you should contac your ISP.

This program is spyware/supportware, depending on who you believe, and is commonly bundled in broadband software (I've seen it in Brazil even!).
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:28 pm
From my google search, I picked up that it may be spyware that's why I thought I'd ask our experts. I'm using Windows 98 (don't have the need to upgrade). And--lucky me! Laughing --Comcast Cable is my ISP. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks, Craven.
0 Replies

Aenigma

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:33 pm
Broad Jump
:wink: Has anyone deleted this out as of yet? What were the results if so? I just got Yahoo DSL and now have this Broad Jump on my system and since I have the DSL, I cannot defrag my system. I get an error saying that Windows is still writing to that drive and to shut down some applications, which the only thing running in the background that would be any different is this Broad Jump. Everything else is the usual programs that need to run. I assume that this is going to be one of those things where I'll have to delete out the key as well? Thanks for any information. Aenigma.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:36 pm
Yeah, on one of my company's employees boxes I removed it with no problems.

I once removed it from a computer in Brazil as well.

IMO, it's completely unecessary.

BTW, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

highlander0069

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:05 am
I removed it and it was installed the same day as my new dsl so tomarrow morning im calling the company and asking just what the hell it is and why its there to see what they said. I remember getting a warning a few months ago stating that the data bases of most servers was going to be recording every thing maybe this is it. Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:22 am
highlander,

Welcome to A2K. I do not think it is as malicious as you suspect but it certainly is unecessary. If you get an answer from your ISP about why it was installed please let us know.
0 Replies

maxoverdrive

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:49 pm
Broad Jump Client Foundation
My internet security software is notifying me every few minutes that this application is attempting to access the internet. After looking at its supporting files I suspected that this is spyware automatically installed by my ISP or some other application. I have been content with simply denying its access to the internet via my internet security software. However, after reading this string of correspondences, I question if I should go ahead and attempt deleting the application or continue denying its access to the internet.

I also have two other computers on my Ethernet LAN and the other computers are not running the internet security software yet. However, both of the other computers are running antivirus and parental control software. I am concerned that if I were to remove this program, will it interfere with the operation of other programs that I use? Also, will my ISP (COMCAST) attempt to reinstall the app? Or, should I continue to be content with denying the application's attempts to access the internet? All replies are appreciated.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 11:15 pm
Safest solution = Deny it internet access. It's not really malicious and this is safe.

Removing it won't hurt. Unless of course you do something that causes damage to your computer.

As to whether comcast will reinstall it I do not know. As far as I know they do not auto update any software so it should only get reinstalled if you reinstall their software.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 11:56 pm
I'm wondering if it has something to do with AT&T becoming Comcast in the past year?
0 Replies

PrettyNJPrincess

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:05 pm
Broad Jump Client
I found it on my computer too and deleted it everything is still working fine for me Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:36 pm
BroadJump is a company that produces software that allows ISPs to know if/when you are on your broadband connection. It doesn't tell them anything other than that you are on or when you were last on. That does help the ISP with load balancing.

A lot of ISPs (Comcast included) package it with the software they deliver with your cable/DSL modem. But you don't actually need any of that software they give you. Your connection will still work just fine without it.
0 Replies

Noah

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
I noticed this program showed up as well when I got Yahoo DSL. Thing is, though, i've got 2; "Broadjump Client Foundation" and "Broadjump Correct Connect Engine". If I try to uninstall the first one, Client Foundation, the scroll bar returns to the top item and nothing happens...when I try to remove the second I get an error reading "Unable to locate the installion log fole C:\Program Files\Broadjump\CorrectConnect Engine\uninst.isu'. Uninstallation will not continue." Then it resets. Boy, there's always something wrong with my machine. =\ Any ideas? Should I just remove them manually off the C drive, then maybe from the registry? Or just try not to let it bug me?
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:34 pm
Sorry I didn't get back to all of you sooner. Craven, I tried the CTR + ALT + DEL several times, but the next time I got on the 'puter--it was back. A few days after my last post, I called Comcast. I used my authoritative voice that made me sound as though I knew what I was talking about (not!). The gal told me there was no harm in leaving it on. My reply: "I didn't ask for it. You put it on, so you take it off." She told me to hold. About three minutes later she returned, told me it was removed and it shouldn't cause a problem any longer.

Wow! See the confidence all of you on this forum give me? Twisted Evil
Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:10 pm
LOL, that's cool. I've never heard of someone getting them to do that over the phone.
0 Replies

GregK

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
Broad Jump
A Comcast Tech replaced my cable modem the other day (they blew out mine and many others in my area - another story). After he left, my firewall was asking permission to let CFD.exe out to the Net.

Apparently he put Broad Jump on my PC. Its located in "program files\broadjump"

Like others, I'm not sure to what extent it is spyware or supportware but it sure is a for-shame sneaky for Comcast to put it on your system without an explanation, etc.

Some words to the wise: Disabling Internet access to CFD.exe is not enough. There are about 15 processes (.dlls) that Boadjump runs that also access the net (at least they are on my firewalls component list). These must be internet disabled. Check the broadjump directory for the dlls and then deny them permissions in your firewall.

Or better yet, if you don't want Broadjump to run at all (who wants the overhead?) you could uninstall it or go into the registry (I run XP Home)and in key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run delete the key for auto-running CFD.exe. This will stop it from automatically running at system startup.

Also, in the Windows\system32 directory you should find an ".xml" file that broadjump creates. I didn't see anything of interest in it but then again I caught Broadjump at first statup after installation. Others may find it interesting if it has been spying for awhile. I renamed it, just to be safe.

I left everything in place, except for the above changes, and I'm interested to see if Comcast tries to do anything to get it back running on my machine.

One thing does puzzle me. Although my firewall (Zone Alarm) did not give permission for CFD.exe to get out, the Broadjump .dlls did have permission. Did Zone Alarm let me down or did the Comcast Tech fool with the firewall?? I'll ask ZA and Comcast and let y'all know.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:35 pm
I'm not sure that dlls will access the internet at all. They will probably be used by a program that does.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:41 am
From as far as I can tell.... (I have Yahoo DSL) this is the program for Connection Manager??
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:01 am
soserene wrote:
From as far as I can tell.... (I have Yahoo DSL) this is the program for Connection Manager??

Yes. Connection Manager is based on the Broadjump Client Foundation.
0 Replies