A Gallery of Needlework, Fiber, and Quilt Making Arts

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:30 am
The following is a gallery of needle work, fiber, and quilt making arts
-----BumbleBeeBoogie

http://pages.ivillage.com/gaius_mohaim/whatisart/id64.html
-----------------------------------

JUDY CHICAGO GALLERY - From the Dinner Party to the Birth Project to Quilts

Judy Chicago's art from THE DINNER PARTY to THE BIRTH PROJECT: From ceramics to needlework; from painting to to banners.

JUDY CHICAGO'S BIRTH PROJECT: Visit the 5 galleries at this site: Womanhouse - The Dinner Party - The Birth Project - Powerplay - Holocaust Project - Resolutions - Quilting Bee.
--------------------------

Scroll down in Gallery #13 to the Judy Chicago gallery site
http://pages.ivillage.com/gaius_mohaim/whatisart/id276.html
------------------------------

Meeting Judy Chicago - by BumbleBeeBoogie:

I first met Judy Chicago in the early 1970s. I went to her best known show "The Dinner Party" at the old San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. While the art critics and Media were praising the show, commenting mostly about the ceramics, etc., the part of the show that got very little notice was what wowed women all over the country. It was the needle work in the tapstery underneath the ceramic plates that caught everyone's attention, including mine.

Judy Chicago leased a warehouse in Benicia (near Vallejo, CA) and set up the "Birth Project." Women from all over the Greater Bay Area came to work on the embroiderary for the tapestries that Judy Chicago designed. I watched women work for hours on one square inch of tapestry---such exquisite needle work.

I donated and helped to raise money for Judy's Birth Project for several months until it took off and gained national attention.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 0
No top replies