A2K--ITS BORRRING. (is it just me?)

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:23 am
this is a great concept. however it lacks life. There should be more of a celebration of opinions that we dont agree with. I cannot believe that , even on the art lines , there is no passionate debate. theres either "pats on the cyber back" or else, people just dont post.

Or we show how smart we are by posting inane clips from dead people. (Me included) Maybe its an apparent lack of spontaneity that is bugging me. Knock off the word smith functions for a day and lets see if we cant liven it up.

I still say, part of the problem is the cutesy format. Discussions are packaged as "billboards" complete with our kids picture and some dead guy quote on the bottom. I keep going back to abuzz, even with all its faults AND, Ive noticed some return of others also

I kind of miss the barbarians, (not the potty mouth weirdos but the -"no prisoners debators" that A2K hasnt cultivated .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,963 • Replies: 201
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:49 am
Some like it hot some like it cold. You can never get the thermostat just right for everyone.

Have a debate in mind? Start one. I love a debate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:52 am
Re: A2K--ITS BORRRING. (is it just me?)
farmerman wrote:
this is a great concept. however it lacks life. There should be more of a celebration of opinions that we dont agree with.I still say, part of the problem is the cutesy format. Discussions are packaged as "billboards" complete with our kids picture and some dead guy quote on the bottom. I keep going back to abuzz, even with all its faults AND, Ive noticed some return of others also
I kind of miss the barbarians, (not the potty mouth weirdos but the -"no prisoners debators" that A2K hasnt cultivated .

Well, some like it here. others there.
You have your choice - others ("we") ours.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:04 am
CMON CRAVEN AND WALTER--be a little more "colorful" in your response. . ANyway, youre both Hall Monitors and Id expect nothing else from you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:10 am
farmerman- The ball is in your court. Why don't you start a controversial discussion, and send me a link?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:21 am
farmerman - it's not just you. I've had more fun lobbing balls at the fake ragman on Abuzz lately than anywhere else on Abuzz or here. I still come to check in here, but my posting has slowwwwwed way down (which many may celebrate, so i'm cool with my decision). Most of my posting is at an another site now - which has a cool 'woodshed tavern' for strongly worded discussion (and a decent moderator function reserved for handling trolls).

I guess we all have to find our homes and communities, and this one has turned out not to be ours. It is nice to come in and say hello to friends here once in a while, but chatting, well, it's not enough for me.

I was gonna send this as a PM, but decided that would sort of defeat farmerman's purpose.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:23 am
Wondering if the same thing has happened to Setanta??
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:04 am
There's plenty of lively discourse in here, farm. Look a little deeper.

What there is NOT (mostly) is obscene neoconservative jackasses.

And there are no impersonators.

I too wish that the site weren't so--what's the right word? clique-ish?; I think that there would be more contribution from newbies and more enrollment by the many 'guests' if it didn't always seem like one was eavesdropping on a group of teenagers' cell phone party line.

But hey, differ'nt strokes for differ'nt folks.

Click over to a political thread and stir up some sh*t.

I dare ya.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:20 am
PDiddie-

Quote:
What there is NOT (mostly) is obscene neoconservative jackasses.

Now, it is a definite plus that there are not many obscene jackasses. I do think though, that discussions across the broad spectrum of political thought (including thoughtful neo-conservatives) would be most welcome, and would add interest to the site.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:33 am
Phee:

"thoughtful neoconservatives" is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:50 am
PDiddie has always been a lively poster here, farm, think the two of you should definitely get it on...I'll join...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:01 am
Well, a friend of mine once said when things get to going good we just have to fook it up.....

So........................................................................

"..........and the horse you rode in on Farmer..... Evil or Very Mad

Nope, that just ain't me. sorry Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:14 am
Got any good ideas Farmerman? I'm just spoiling for a fierce debate - but I am soooo sick of the same politocal debate that happens on a hundred different threads....got anything different?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:31 am
Yeah, what d- said....bring it on m8 Twisted Evil Where the heck are ya on yer own thread here anyway?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:40 am
I don't participate in any other web discussion web and i wouldn't. i looked around and around and around and didn't like what i saw. I like A2K precisely for those reasons that you, farmerman, dislike it for. I don't seek any heated debate, especially not in art or literature, my impression is that people do express their true opinions here. The fact that it is done in a civilized and cultivated matter I see as a major plus. I hope it won't change much in the long run.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:48 am
look clown, Ive been working the lamb pen this AM and Im taking a break. Ill check in perodically but I cant sit here and wait for Mcshit from you.
i dont think Id make a good argue opponent for P Diddie, I find That, on the (BArroom brawl site of abuzz) , I agree with him most often. so it would be diisingenuous at best. We could set up one of the potty mouths and whack at him like a pack of dingos but Diddie and I are gentlemen.

Lowan and Cav-heres an idea. We start some posts , wherein each opponent take the OTHER GUYS SIDE and try to argue to win. Like id start with Lowan and show how John Howard is most competent to run Australia and the uS because(>>>>>>>>>>>add arguments here>>>>>>>)
And Lowan would convince me how Bush is most competent. In the points we discuss how each of our argument adopted forms of government are most appropriate. nAaah, sounds too boring

Its easier just calling Lowan names, but I cant do it and mean it with that stupid rabbit starin at me. Or youre Ronnie McD with the "Eat ****" admonition I cant get serious.

I have only praise for the information threads especially art. they stay on topic but , I think, they are a meager parish of devotees. Kind of like the Reformed Russian Orthodox church of Frackville pA. only 6 regulars. I know , arts are tough to drag people in , and in this forum, they are especially friendly and non-judgemental. That aint the way I learned my art. You can be respectful and demanding at the same time. I dont think, overall, that were too demanding on this line. nuff said, Ill respond to anything-even the rabbit.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:51 am
Here here dag...I am certain farmerman can inspire a lively debate here if he wants to...there are obviously plenty of intelligent people here who would be willing to take it on...rather than go back to Abuzz, I don't understand why he just doesn't be a little more 'proactive' in this matter...personally, I have found A2K to be very 'celebratory' in embracing a difference of opinion. Maybe farm ain't lookin' in the right places Confused Some threads here do tend to digress to the silly and personal (and I am as guilty as anyone on that count), but I don't see much difference on Abuzz....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:53 am
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ok Mr Greenjeans Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

so dagmarka, you, like commute between slovakia and boston? do you have any short connections by canoe or jitney?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Heh heh, well said farm... Very Happy Lemme think of something provocative....
0 Replies