A2K--ITS BORRRING. (is it just me?)

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:05 am
let me say, in my own defense, I am a passionately empathetic guy. I told jespah on abuzz awhile back, that I thought the Abuzz conferred "tin foil hat crap" was ill conceived , cruel and (Although I never said it, I meant "cowardly). The tinfoil committees would highlight posts behind the posters back and hold each up for ridicule by all the other "sane" members. I felt that confronting the nominees as to their silly points, in an equally silly way, was more appropriate and less cowardly.
Now abuzz is pretty much, all confrontation all the time. I, however do go and join in when one appeals to me. the fact that I havent seen one of these on a2k concerns me, because most everybody is a recovering abuzzer. The newbies like dagmarka dont recognize that we are the same people who mixed it up over there. WHAA HOPPENED?

now, I gotta get ready for a noon bottle feeding of 20+ orphaned or rejected lambs this will take awhile so I may not get back for several hours . But I will respond by this PM sometime and I hope some constructive criticism that results in new ways to guide my own posts will be forwarded.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:07 am
Farmerman - I was, strangely, thinking of starting a fight/debate thread after I saw your first postings on this thread - a place where people could post contentious - but genuine -opinions on any topic, and get a debate. If they got long and fascinating they could move to their own thread?

OR

A thread where debate on a named - sometimes silly, sometimes serious, topic could occur.

or both

What do people think?

Sort of something to get the synapses crackling.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:08 am
Only Craven couldn't use any smegging Latin.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:09 am
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! As long as it's explicit in the definition, let's do it Very Happy Cav promises at least one post that is completely not his opinion...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:14 am
What happened?

To me, not a lot.

I do enjoy fierce but non-abusive debate, (though I am bad when I get me dander up) but avoided it on Abuzz most times, because it was often conducive to endless, mindless name calling, or the production of pages of copied crap. Don't know which was worse.

Farmerman - I do see some pretty fierce debate here - could you give us a clearer example of what you mean?

I weary of the political debates here, often, cos they just go on and on with the same points of view....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:15 am
Ever heard of rabbit soup??
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:19 am
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
When is rabbit soup not good?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

When there's a hare in it!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

just kidd'n
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:20 am
Well, that is certainly a consistent source of silly debate here - get the Wabbit - but there are already plenty of get the wabbit threads.

What IS it about the smegging wabbit, by the way? Is it the avatar or is it me?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:24 am
actually gang; this is why I started the "SoapBox" thread
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6731&highlight=
which bombed seriously; I was trying to provide a consistant "place" for individuals to post a specifically aimed comment for debate (kind'of Hyde Park like) but noone came Rolling Eyes

It seems people want their topic predefined? Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:34 am
Despite some hare-iness with the bunny, I love the bunny, and I think the bunny makes some good points. If you want mindless heated debate, watch wrestling. If you truly want a proper debate, post your topic, defend it valiantly, and bugger off if you are proven wrong. Cav will check out BoGoWo's thread...sounds like a good idea gone awry...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:45 am
and;

This is mostly aimed at Craven's ears (if he can take that tongue out of his head long enough for us to get through) and is to do with the actual site design.
Me thinks the site is too damned big!!!
And there are too many threads to ever be able to share yourself around without thinning down your attention span to the "sniper" level.
I would prefer to see a tree'd system where one can actually respond to a specific post, and then that interaction can proceed, or not, from there; so often I read a post from three or four days ago, that I find fascinating, and demands a response, but quoting it and pratling on doesn't really do it, and it requires that the "poster" who has gone on by now, is not currently online, and may never come back, see your comments to accept praise, or have a chance to rebut the arguement. -frustrating-
I would also suggest an expiry limit for threads with, perhaps an archive backup where one could go for a little "rumaging" if so inclined, without the option of comment (could perhaps initiate a new thread if keen).
Reduction of the site overall size would tend to bring ideas and people closer together, and would result in more effective interaction; we could even perhaps have a back room thread where those so inclined could go and "neck" in voyeur mode. (sorry, I found I was being a little too serious for my own liking)
0 Replies

Gen

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:40 am
Quote:
What there is NOT (mostly) is obscene neoconservative jackasses.

Naw, they are here.. they just are keeping their fingers off the keys. Why do you think things are so quiet?

They figured you abandoned abuzz for this because of them. Their views are their views. They can't help how they feel, because its how they feel. Just like you feel the way you do.

Perhaps they just want to express their opinion without running the risk of creating animosity? Even if their opinions wont create animosity perhaps they don't know it.

People express where they feel most comfortable. If they don't fit into the "clique" they won't express.

Just an off point of view.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 11:40 am
Ho hum...Farmerman, were you always this tiresome or did you have to practice? Listen, if you want to stir things up, be my guest. If I'm interested, I might even join in. Why do you feel the need to have a group of sycophants to back you up, fer chrissake!?!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 11:59 am
Laughing
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 12:13 pm
farmerman<

Do you have a case of acid reflux disease?

If you don't like A2k, stick with Abuzz. Or, you might wish to stick it somewhere else. Idea
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 12:37 pm
Gen- I don't think your point is "off" at all. I think that it is right on target!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 12:53 pm
wH, youre not paying attention, try to focus. This is not a bad forum, its just too cutesy,
Im certainly not looking for any me- toos, as stimpy said, if she remembers , I asked the question in 2 parts "Or am I the only one?" was the second part.
From some responses , Ive seen that there is a recognition that this forum can be spiffed up by "celebrating" greater diversity in opinions coupled with a more passionate debate style. I dont think itll be world class until then.
What the hell do I know, Im not the one bearing the cost of this effort.
I think that, with many of you, there is a disdain of abuzz because of its overpopulation of US centered Rush limbaugh clones. Whereas here its a 180 difference . Im calling for a more visible mix cause I get tired of listening to the same choirs all the time. Thats all. My problem with buzz is one has to wade through 50 posts by the same guy whose gotten some link from the limbaugh letter and he runs with it in variable forms. here, I just challenge any of you to go down the forum list and find one thats really compelling.
Yell at me and call names if you want, at least youll be evidencing a pulse

GEN, I just scrolled up and caught your post. so I had to edit from here on YOUVE CAPTURED A VERY IMPORTANT POINT. mAYBE THEY ARE HERE(I admit to conservatists thinking in a few areas but dont mix it up because i feel that UNCLE MODERATOR will clip me in mid sent...)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 12:57 pm
stimpy...cute
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:01 pm
sorry, swimpy. Are you the same one married to the BEAR who left abuzz then came back?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:04 pm
swimpy = squinny?
0 Replies