It's springtime and an old girls fancy turns to....

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
I had the same idea last year (note date! definitely a springtime thing):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49801

The only thing that's really worked, for me, is to join a gym. :-?

I did see an absolutely awesome commercial recently, with the same basic idea as shewolf... it's part of some public service/ health initiative but I forget what it's called (I'm sure it has a website).

Anyway, it's winter, snowy, and there are some garbagemen out early-early, while it's still dark. It's a tiny bit scary/ ominous, half expecting aliens to beam down or something. Suddenly a close-up of one of the garbage guys -- "Hey, what's that?" They slow down, the garbage guy leaves the truck and inspects something (out of the frame) and then leans in to grab it; his face is neutral, we don't know what we're going to see. He pulls up into the frame some amorphous blob. He looks off into the middle distance and you see a few snowmen in someone's yard. Camera goes back to the object -- it's a jiggly large tube of some sort. Garbage guy shouts back to his friend, "It's someone's thunder thighs. Must've lost 'em when they were playing in the snow with their kids," and goes on his way.

Laughing

It's a good series, another one is a person parking way at the back of the parking lot, even though there are lots of spaces open, and as she walks towards the store gathering a cheering crowd... etc.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:43 am
shewolfnm wrote:
well, my doctor told me about it once.

he broke it down to calories per minute and .. some how.. you end up burning the same amount of calories with midl fideting all day as you would a brisk 30 minute walk.

when you dont have the option to walk, swing your legs, play with your fingers, scoot around in your seat..

i'll have to try it sometime. Laughing

Hm...I am a figeter...does that mean that without fidgeting I'd put on more weight? Yikes. Keep up the fidgeting.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
LOVE LOVE LOVE the sounds of that commercial !
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
I spent an hour today kicking around a soccer ball with the puppy. She is a natural soccer player and has become quite good.

Boomer, you have dogs, do you have a soccer ball?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
I have two dogs and six soccer balls.

But my dogs are old. One of them can hardly walk and the other is a total grouch.

I'm still coveting my neighbor's dog and have opened a line of communication so....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
Tell your neighbor that you want to play soccer with his dog.....?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
Re: It's springtime and an old girls fancy turns to....
boomerang wrote:
... busting off the winter pudge.

Usually it isn't too hard for me. I have always been pretty fit and seem to have an underlying muscle mass which springs back pretty quickly.

This year though.... ugh.....

I hear ya sister! Every year a couple more pounds creep on and a couple more refuse to leave.

Two suggestions:

One: Maybe if you buy yourself and Mo a pedometer it will motivate him walk faster. I seem to recall you can get ones that tells you how fast as well as how far you walked. He might move faster if the pedometer made it seem like a challenge or a sport.

Second: Tell your neighbor you are looking to get more exercise and would it be OK if you took Jack out for a little walk each afternoon. Tell him your dogs are too old and too slow, but Jack looks like he would keep you moving. (I would leave Mo home the first few times incase Jack is a nut case on a leash).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Maybe discuss with Mo the difference between nature walk and fast stepping?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:37 pm
Ehh, I feel ya. Can't hide behind my sweater for much longer here! Ahhk!

Well, I always do stretches in the shower. Your muscles get all warm, and *boom* that is out of the way right in the morning. Gets the blood going to start the day.

No big advice here, since I don't have a kid. Just relieved to know the spring fit-urge has come upon others too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
This is a problem I have too. I love sports but hate to exercise for the sake of itself. I had to finaly suck it up and acknowledge that I'm not a kid anymore, and I joined the Y.

But I did have one thought/suggestion. Dancing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:21 am
On fidgeting:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/NEWS/603290321

Now that the weather is civil, I've started a walking program. Starting with one lap of a parking lot (1/4 miles) in 5 minutes I've worked up to 3/4 miles in 17 minutes.

I feel better and my Glow of Virtue should be visible from the mid-Atlantic to the Pacific Rim and the polar ice to Rio.
0 Replies