It's springtime and an old girls fancy turns to....

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
... busting off the winter pudge.

Usually it isn't too hard for me. I have always been pretty fit and seem to have an underlying muscle mass which springs back pretty quickly.

This year though.... ugh.....

First, the excuses:

I took a sabatical from work this year. My job was always pretty physical so I missed out on that. (Seriously, it was like 8 hours of step aerobics.)

Mr. B started a new business and he has been very busy so a lot of our going out and goofing off (hiking, etc.) hasn't happened.

It was a dreadful, wet winter. Mo was sick a lot. We essentially stopped swimming because he couldn't get well thanks to the whole asthma thing.

Second, the what I am doing....

The weather has turned nice so we are back to our 19th century gardening and lawn care rituals. Other than a lawn mower we don't use any power tools.

We've been digging and tilling and today we sawed major limbs off trees and did some other pruning.

I do maybe 50, 52 pound Mo dead lifts along with innumerable 52 pound Mo leg presses each day.

We play soccer, tag, and golf in the back yard.

I park at the outer limits of the parking lot.

I use the stairs.

By the end of the days I feel exhausted and this is not like me.

We have started swimming again but swimming with a 5 year old does not provide the cardio that I think I need.

Mo has gotten too fast on his bike for me to keep up jogging so I try to convince him to walk with me but he ambles and stops and inspects and I can't really bitch about that because the world is interesting and he wants to look at it.

I don't like gyms and the whole mundane excercise deal but I really feel unfit.

Do you have any simple suggestions for work or play that amp up your fitness level? Things that can be done with a kid in tow? Things that do not require going to a special place at a special time (that's what pisses me off about swimming)?

What extra little things do you add to your every day life that you believe work together to increase your fitness level?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,754 • Replies: 30
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
do your house work 2 times as hard.

run up the stairs to get the laundry.
If you are picking it up off the floor, pick up one at a time.

sweep the floor faster, mop with more strength

when you walk, take a bit longer of a stride, that makes your muscles pull harder.

fidget.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:49 pm
Fidget is about right. I used to be tagged as "serene". Bonnie, a friend, fidgeted. Well, she did more than that, she taught soccer, bicycled at length, always stopped and still stops to hike mountains... but just in a living room chat situation, she was always moving. And being a nurse and a phys ed major before that, she'd done the research re moving throughout the day. But ne'er mind the research, that was how she was/is.

Simple semidancing through the day, whatever the official exercise, seems to take up a bunch of calories.

I'm presently way too fulking serene and need to go walkabout, as does my local pal, Diane. Any day now, we'll get started.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
Laughing

I will come over when ya do..
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
Re: It's springtime and an old girls fancy turns to....
boomerang wrote:
... busting off the winter pudge.

Usually it isn't too hard for me. I have always been pretty fit and seem to have an underlying muscle mass which springs back pretty quickly.

This year though.... ugh.....

First, the excuses:

I took a sabatical from work this year. My job was always pretty physical so I missed out on that. (Seriously, it was like 8 hours of step aerobics.)

Mr. B started a new business and he has been very busy so a lot of our going out and goofing off (hiking, etc.) hasn't happened.

It was a dreadful, wet winter. Mo was sick a lot. We essentially stopped swimming because he couldn't get well thanks to the whole asthma thing.

Second, the what I am doing....

The weather has turned nice so we are back to our 19th century gardening and lawn care rituals. Other than a lawn mower we don't use any power tools.

We've been digging and tilling and today we sawed major limbs off trees and did some other pruning.

I do maybe 50, 52 pound Mo dead lifts along with innumerable 52 pound Mo leg presses each day.

We play soccer, tag, and golf in the back yard.

I park at the outer limits of the parking lot.

I use the stairs.

By the end of the days I feel exhausted and this is not like me.

We have started swimming again but swimming with a 5 year old does not provide the cardio that I think I need.

Mo has gotten too fast on his bike for me to keep up jogging so I try to convince him to walk with me but he ambles and stops and inspects and I can't really bitch about that because the world is interesting and he wants to look at it.

I don't like gyms and the whole mundane excercise deal but I really feel unfit.

Do you have any simple suggestions for work or play that amp up your fitness level? Things that can be done with a kid in tow? Things that do not require going to a special place at a special time (that's what pisses me off about swimming)?

What extra little things do you add to your every day life that you believe work together to increase your fitness level?

Boomerang, regarding what you said: I appreciate you sharing that with me. My intent was not to say anything to make you feel bad or like you had said anything wrong. I hope that is not how it was taken. I just wanted to present another side of the story because every story is different and needs to be handled differently. Which of course I know you realize that. How you feel is completely understandable and I have nothing against that or your views. It was actually meant more as just a general statement for anyone reading to hopefully realize that there is much more to this situation than it appears. To hopefully prevent someone from coming in there and making a bunch of unnecessary hurtful comments out of ignorance. I apologize though if it seems I was attacking you or your view of the situation. That is sincerely not how I meant it.

P.S. Sorry for derailing this thread to respond... Razz
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:49 pm
Interesting, the idea of fidgeting...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:49 pm
it works
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
well, my doctor told me about it once.

he broke it down to calories per minute and .. some how.. you end up burning the same amount of calories with midl fideting all day as you would a brisk 30 minute walk.

when you dont have the option to walk, swing your legs, play with your fingers, scoot around in your seat..

i'll have to try it sometime. Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
Fumbling usually works for me.

Or tickling.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
smoking crack works the best..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
Maybe not crack but cigarettes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:08 pm
Shewolf, if you visit o'er here, we can go for a nice long walk before hitting the Flying Star...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:15 am
There is a thing called "Callanetics".

A woman I find a pain in the bum does it.....it is on video, and, I suppose by now, DVD.

It is an hour's worth of stretches and such that somehow makes you firm up and such.

You can do it any time, and it isn't so bad...and it works well if you persist. I have to watch the knee related stuff, I can't do the deep squat stuff, and I have to guard my neck, but I am a bloody cripple in those areas.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:55 am
I'ma fidgeting...

Actually I'm chairdancing while A2King. That theory is quite intriguing. Think I'll add it to my excercise regiment. Constant movement.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:11 am
I tried that last night too Eoe.

i got my heart rate up, but swinging my legs while crossed, back and forth ........

i could actually feel a diffrence and I was slightly winded..

hmm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:26 am
This has all got to be nonsense . . . why, they ain't nothin' but ol' girls in this thread . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:28 am
you gots some kinda secret there unner them britches set??
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:35 am
I ain't no dummy, i ain'ta sayin' nothin' . . . that girl packs a wallop, so we don't do nothin' to get her needlessly riled . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:38 am
uhhh huh..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
My house is pretty small so cleaning it up does not require too much energy expenditure! I have no idea why people want big houses.

I'm already a real fidgeter. I can't sit still. I can't even sit with my feet on the floor because it limits the amount of bounce I'm capable of.

The whole trying to move more purposefully makes a lot of sense. I'll try to exaggerate my movements and see what happens!

Great idea - thanks!
0 Replies