Used RainSoft Amazon Gold Question

CStone

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:41 pm
Hey!

Stumbled across this site whilst attemting to learn about water softeners. Long and short of it is this:

Currently building a 4BR, 3BTH home in Tennessee. City water is available, though it's very hard.

I stumbled across an ad for a used (1YO) RainSoft Amazon Gold water conditioner for a stupid price of $150. Seller says he bought the house 6 months ago and has no use for the softener. Too good to be true, right? I called the nearest Rainsoft dealer and asked what to look for, etc. He offered to talk to me on the phone while I looked at the softener in question that evening. General conclusion was that I'd be stupid not to buy it. It was in pristine condition and was indeed an Amazon Gold.

Questions I have are these:

1. This model has two tanks, resin and brine. Will I need a 3rd tank (charcoal) in order for the system to operate nominally on a chlorinated water supply? Above mentioned dealer says so, but I'm not sure if he's trying to get some unnecessary $ out of me.

2. Controller for this unit booted and showed o error messages. Displayed time was incorrect, but that's all. Can I take this as proof that the electronics are OK and that any issues with the unit will be hardware related, i.e. valves, etc? If that is indeed the case, how much $ should it take to get this into working order?

3. Was I dumb to buy this thing for $150, not knowing for sure if it works or not? (Was disconnected from seller's water.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Re: Used RainSoft Amazon Gold Question
CStone wrote:

1. This model has two tanks, resin and brine. Will I need a 3rd tank (charcoal) in order for the system to operate nominally on a chlorinated water supply? Above mentioned dealer says so, but I'm not sure if he's trying to get some unnecessary $ out of me.

If you don't like chlorine in your water a backwashing carbon filter is a great item to install ahead of your softener.
Use coconut shell GAC and backwash once a week.

Quote:
2. Controller for this unit booted and showed o error messages. Displayed time was incorrect, but that's all. Can I take this as proof that the electronics are OK and that any issues with the unit will be hardware related, i.e. valves, etc? If that is indeed the case, how much $ should it take to get this into working order?

Program the unit according to your specific needs and see what happens.
It sounds like you are good to go. The valve is a bastardized FLECK, but should serve you well.

Quote:
3. Was I dumb to buy this thing for $150, not knowing for sure if it works or not? (Was disconnected from seller's water.)

I think you did great!

Good luck with your new home.
0 Replies

CStone

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 01:27 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
CStone wrote:

If you don't like chlorine in your water a backwashing carbon filter is a great item to install ahead of your softener.
Use coconut shell GAC and backwash once a week.

H20_MAN,

Thanks for the responses! I've got a followup on the one above, however. I agree that non-cholrinated water tastes betterm but the dealer is telling me that the 3rd tank is REQUIRED for a chlorinated supply, stating that the chlorine damages the resin in short order. Is this true or can/should I call "Shenannigans" on this one?

Would I not be better off having a local charcoal filter at the sink tap I plan to drink from instead?

How much should this charcoal tank cost?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 02:14 pm
CStone wrote:

H20_MAN,

Thanks for the responses! I've got a followup on the one above, however. I agree that non-cholrinated water tastes betterm but the dealer is telling me that the 3rd tank is REQUIRED for a chlorinated supply, stating that the chlorine damages the resin in short order. Is this true or can/should I call "Shenannigans" on this one?

Would I not be better off having a local charcoal filter at the sink tap I plan to drink from instead?

How much should this charcoal tank cost?

Chlorine can damage some resin. RS marketed Ion-X 100 resin as a chlorine resistant resin.
Most Gold series systems came with this resin.

A GAC filter is not required, but I install carbon filters with all chlorinated city systems.
It makes the water that much better and protects the softener from chlorine, dirt, debris plus organic contaminants and byproducts of chlorination.
Expect to pay $1K +/- for a quality 1 cu. ft. automatic backwashing whole house carbon filter.

An NSF certified solid carbon block point of use drinking water system is great insurance against Crypto, Giardia etc...
0 Replies