Letterman?

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:24 pm
It was a good film, absolutely! Nicely given form. And what a guy... Now he seems genuininely funny.

I loved the way their relationship was sketched too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:39 pm
I have seen this letterman charachter on late night tv here. I assumed the tv station was getting the show at ultra cheap rates and using it as a filler.

This show seems to be full of self congratulatory ramblings. a sort of "if I say I'm good often enough it will be true". Then I began to wonder if it was a New York kind of cultural difference that I just didnt understand.

Letterman is supported by a plethora of coat tugging yes men attatched like limpets to a percieved free ride.

I dont understand the attraction and freely admit it.

Hes a wanker I reckon.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:14 pm
When Dave had hair and white tennis shoes and a cigar, he was a riot.

Now, he's in full throttle geezerhood and watching his show is like watching some old, crotchety man for 90 minutes.

or...wanker. Yes.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
You can watch me for 90 minutes if you like, Lash.

I'll be asleep for 88 of them though.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
If Dave was half as funny as you are, I watch him again.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:00 pm
nimh wrote:
Hey I saw this (animated/live)docupic about this underground cartoonist, who was a guest on Letterman's a bunch of times but eventually walked off in an angry rage? That came back in the film too ... wait, lemme look up what I'm talking about ...yeah, film was called American Splendor, guy is Harvey Pekar. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Harvey Pekar really nailed him, and rightly so. The reason they had an actor playing Letterman is because they wouldn't allow the director to use the original footage. Pekar made Letterman look bad.

I once saw Charles Grodin make Letterman look really bad too. Grodin refused to go along with the routine.

There's another interesting story about this guy named "Pete" the dishwasher. He's a real life guy whose goal was to wash dishes in every state while he wrote a darkly comic journal on it which he published.

Pete told the story of how he was contacted by the show to be a guest-- he wasn't interested in going on the air, but he was interested in the money, so a friend went on the air for him instead. Pete went along with him to New York and enjoyed all the perks of being on the show, the food, the hotel room, and the money. The show figured it out that the guy who went on as a guest wasn't the real Pete. The only reason they didn't sue was because it wouldn't be worth their time or the cost to take Pete to court.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
Letterman is from Indiana.

From Indianapolis. I went to graduate school where he was an undergraduate in Muncie, Indiana. He is worshipped there. Can do no wrong. They even named an ally after him-- it's where all the drunken frat boys go to throw up.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 11:14 pm
Well, nimh's poll doesn't have good enough options, so there.

I still remain loyal to Dave at heart, even though I don't watch him anymore. Leno just utterly sucks, though, I don't care what anyone says, he's much suckier than Dave. And Dave was great with Bill O'Reilley. He doesn't kiss ass as much as other talkshow people, I still like that about him.

I dimly remember Harvey Pekar on Dave, it was strange. American Splendor was a great movie; Paul Giamatti is one of my favorite actors.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
Call me old fashioned but I'll always think of Carson as the best.

I haven't watched a late night show since...I guess the week that Dave moved to CBS, but I rarely ever watch regular tv either. It's either HBO, or History Channel.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:06 pm
I watch him when I'm watching tv at 11:30 and there's no SportsCenter. But half smirks is where he's at and sadly that's what I expect from tv these days.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
I think he's still the best.... therefore he is. The rest of you wankers can sniff my shorts. Dave's too.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 01:28 pm
Was actually planning on watching Dave a few nights ago, but totally forgot about it. Shooter Jennings {Waylon's son} was on, and I really wanted to see him.

My wife heard a blurb about it, and they said something about Dave being a huge Waylon fan...if that's true, then Dave just gained a notch or two in my opinion of him.
0 Replies