Spring Cleaning/Spring Winnowing

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:08 am
My mother was a lax housekeeper, but in Spring and Fall the light of battle crept into her eyes and she tackled six months of sordid accumulated crud and clutter.

I'm a bit more conscientious than my mother was--although not by much--but in both Spring and Fall I feel inspired to subdue chaos.

My system this year is Dump A Drawer--or a shelf or a cupboard or a closet--one itty-bitty accomplishment a day may result in a clean house by the end of April.

Do you spring clean? Do you consider winnowing possessions part of cleaning?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
Yes and yes.

We went on a bit of a rampage about a month ago, with an emphasis on complete re-organization of the kitchen -- that was fun. It's a kind of non-intuitive set-up, and was the first thing we moved into, rather willy-nilly. (You need pots and pans and dishes and silverware and such pretty much immediately.)

So I decided it was unacceptable and lit into it, and everything has settled into a much more intuitive and accessible order, and this makes me happy.

Winnowed a fair amount in that whole project, too. Next up for winnowing is baby stuff -- cleaning it up and selling it via craigslist. We're virtually certain we're not having another, but even if we decide to, we can buy more stuff if we absolutely have to. Right now it's just taking up space.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
"If you don't know it to be useful, or believe it to be beautiful, chuck it"

Forget who said that, and never followed it myself, but it sounds kind of neat.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
Roger--

My watchword is, "Do I really want to dust this."

Soz--

Congratulations on your move-without-conscious-though kitchen.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:05 am
Oh yeah. Depending on some, er, things, my wardrobe will either be winnowed considerably or that will defer for a little while longer. I have more formal work clothes and haven't needed them for 5 years, but I might soon, so that has to wait. I'm rather itchy to stop waiting on it. Assuming it all goes well, I can haul a lot off to the Red Cross collection station -- and take it all off next year's taxes.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:10 am
Oh yes.

I start a 'pile'.

I find those drawers that now house junk, and shelves that, according to the dust layer, have not had a single fingerprint in months , and I pile that unused stuff in the middle of the floor some where.

Usually a place where I have to see it for the entire day ,because it is easy for me to START on a project and never finish.

I start with 2 bags and 1 box.
both bags are for trash, the box is for things I will sort again one week later.

If it has not been warn for 2 months ( unless it is my winter clothing..) it gets thrown out for donations.
So are old books, old electronics, and other stuff .

By the time I finish one pile ( i do one a week , and it takes about 2 -3 days to finish sometimes..)
I start another one and I usually have2 bags of useable stuff to take to goodwill, or even make a garage sale out of

The rest of the year is spent sculpting those junk drawers, and dusty shelves with beautiful ,useless junk.. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:24 am
Jespah--

I know that, "If it were done, 'twere well it was done quickly," feeling. "Out, out, damned spot!".

Shewolf--

Every woman needs a hobby. Go for it.

Today's target is nightgowns and my sewing drawer (with its magnificent shoelace collection).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:11 pm
Let us not forget the leaves in the flowerbeds. Is it really safe to put the snow shovel and Ice Chopper away?
0 Replies