Upstairs-Downstairs

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
I recently received a "mega-set" of all the episodes of "Upstairs-Downstairs." Never before have I viewed such an excellent production. The set covers about 68 hour long episodes over a five year run (1971-75.)

I have viewed about half dozen episodes and so far the topics of infidelity, homosexuality, abortion, suicide and this evening, kidnapping have been touched upon.

Although the central point is a well-to-do English family and their servants around the early nineteen hundreds each episode stands alone much like our better crime series are produced. There is no long, boring, piecemeal continuation as with day time soaps.

If I ever get around to attempting to write for profit I am going to go with short stories rather than a novel. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,460 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
I enjoyed the program years back.

This mega-set of which you speak, is it DVD or tapes?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:20 pm
DVD.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
I absolutely loved that series! Great storyline set in Edwardian England, wonderful acting, interesting characters....
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:43 pm
Yes, Stray Cat. The funny part of it is I really like that period of history both in England as well as America. Nevertheless some people were treated absolutely awful, like those in "the servant class."

The "Bellamy family" probably represents one of the better employers of servants and even they do some pretty awful things in keeping with the times. The servants really don't have much of a life or identity of their own. The last episode I watched, WWI has begun and one of the patriotic gestures being made by the genteel people in polite society is sacrificing a servant or two for the British Army. They are willing to "do without" and encouraged Alfred the footman to enlist. Smile

The more I watch the series the more I realize how lucky I am to be living in 2006. I suspect servants were treated, in many cases, worse than the way they are portrayed in "Upstairs - Downstairs. They can't fool me. Very Happy
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:30 pm
Yes, and how about the ep in which the servants are allowed to go out for a picnic -- but only after they've done their work, and only if they return in time to make dinner, etc. They also have to prepare the food they're taking on the picnic.

But the servants picnic is thwarted when the little Irish housemaid commits suicide (because she was in love with a footman from another household and servants weren't allowed to date each other).

Of course, there was an exception made in the case of Edward and Daisy. I guess a few servants were allowed to get away with it, under certain conditions.

Speaking of servants, I can't help admiring Mr. Hudson. You don't see dedication to a profession (let alone a "trade") like that anymore. He had to be one of the most dedicated butlers who ever butled.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:22 pm
Yes Stray Cat, by the way it was Edward that joined the Army not Alfred. Alfred was taken away for allegedly murdering his boss at another job. Smile

I just finished watching the episode where Mr. Hudson tried to join the Army but his eyesight was too poor. He now is a "special constable." Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:02 am
Oh I loved that series.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:32 pm
Alfred was quite a character alright. Have you seen the one featuring the Swedish count who was robbing them?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:05 am
Yes, I saw the episode with the Swedish Count. I was not paying enough attention. I kept wondering what his associate was doing, how he figured into the story. I am going to have to pay more attention the next time around. Smile

You know, some friends have asked my why I buy some movies rather than renting them. Well, you would certainly get bored if you watched the same story enough times but when I buy a good movie or in this case the mega-set of "Upstairs - Downstairs" I always enjoy it at least several times because running it by again, I pick up on things I missed the first time. It might be what was said, it could be the scenery, the set design. There are always interesting things to be found in a movie by me for several viewings.

Right now I have two used, old movies coming to me in the mail that I purchased on-line: "Cotton Comes to Harlem" and "Duel."

It's a hobby. Sometimes I trade them off or sell them. I retain my favorites. I have a pretty nice collection of old movies. At least I think so.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:54 am
I have a good collection of old movies too, and yes, you can often pick up on different things with each viewing.

I sometimes play movies while I go about my business, the way other people play music. It's a comforting, background "white noise" for me.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:49 am
I think one of the marks of a really good movie or even TV show is how it stands up to repeated viewings. Do you see something new in it? A new laugh? A new wrinkle? A new clue? I think that's the mark of a good film or show and a part of that is the expense and detail that went into a production -- writing, costumes, cinematography, etc. There really is a difference between productions made by people really into it and really interested in making a successful product versus films, etc. where the actors, crew, writers, etc. are only going through the motions.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:26 am
I read a number of comments on-line about "Upstairs - Downstairs" and one or two of them briefly mentioned that Gordan Jackson did not care for the character Angus Hudson the butler. He claimed he never watched the series but you can tell he was very much into playing the role.

In a small way I can empathize with him. I once ran for Mayor of the town more for fun than any seriousness of purpose. The candidates were given the opportunity to make a five minute video presentation that was televised. I watched mine the first time it ran. I was so embarrassed and it was so awful I refused to watch it again. I felt like hiding every time someone mentioned to me they had seen it. Very startling to see and hear myself speaking!
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:08 pm
I enjoyed the series. One thing very unusual was the way both James and Georgina were presented.

I disliked James very much from the beginning and there were a number of times when I began to think he might not be the wimp that he was. I expected him to be exposed as a coward, a disgrace early on when he first went to war but it did not happen. I could see where the writers purposely cast him in the role of the mythical English military officer that is generally held in disfavor my many Americans, especially military men. While not really the case there are enough of them to give the impression they are pompous, ineffective, lazy and not particularly brave.

On the other hand this series was primarily written for British viewers and their view of James might possibly be entirely different than my take. At any rate although I too was shocked, I was satisfied when he took his own life. I didn't like him at all. Very Happy

Georgina reminded me of some of the characters in "The Great Gatsby", although there are several years difference in time (Upstairs Downstairs segment where Georgina runs over the man and kills him is in the mid twenties and Gatsby was in the thirties. I believe) the attitudes of young people, young rich people, are portrayed much the same: I will say "elitist" but that is not the word I am looking for. Anyway they are portrayed as being so self absorbed that nothing else in the world counts other than themselves having fun. She shows not the least bit of remorse over the death of the man and several times alludes to the situation as being funny.

While James' death provided me with good closure (I felt satisfied that he got what was coming to him. Laughing ) I was no happy with Georgina's situation. My God what a fickle person. I cannot imagine any woman in our time delaying a wedding and even considering postponing it because it would not be fancy enough. Her uncle, her uncle's wife (who eventually paid for the wedding anonymously) as well as the guy that eventually married her all seemed to understand her and agree with her. I guess that was a sign of those times in Victorian England.

No, the fact that Georgina went on to have a huge wedding and be so happy just didn't seem right. What do you think?

Things ended pretty well for the Downstairs people I think. I felt it was abrupt, happened to fast but I believe that was mainly due to the fact that I enjoyed the series so much.

I had entertained the idea of selling the set but I am in no hurry. I am looking forward to watching the entire series again. Before I do though I plan on reading all the background that is available on the Internet. Most of the key players have now passed on you know?

Also included in the deal was another series titled "Thomas & Sarah" starring one of the footman and a maid that appeared early in "Upstairs Downstairs." I believe there are 13 segments of that from start to finish. I have not viewed it yet.
0 Replies