Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
It exists only in the realm of imagination at the moment. I have to make it and it's low on my list of priorities. :-)
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 06:19 am
Well then--tell us when, and if, you ever finish it!
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
i applied for dmoz months ago - guess those human editors, err, don't like me!
also, when i applied, it was a horror show - the page kept timing out until it finally took
and i did apply to some other categories recently - geez, poor gadgetaddict - nobody wants to indes his site (sniff) Sad
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:27 am
Applying when your site constantly returns errors or is clearly under constuction is prolly the best way to ensure that directories refuse your site.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:30 pm
He was probably talking about the Dmoz site.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:01 am
Ah. Sorry, my bad. Embarrassed
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:36 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
He was probably talking about the Dmoz site.

Craven's right - dmoz was returning errors...then again, so is mine Shocked
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
thought you'd get a kick out of this - google spidered A2K and posted my request of 3 days ago - good spidering ala optomized A2k!!!! (or is that because the dance just finished?)

here's the results from my search for gadgetaddict
Able2Know.com :: Web Design & Development
... Charlie Chan and the case of the missing avatars... Posted by gadgetaddict on Sun
Jul 06, 2003 at 6:43 am ... Posted by gadgetaddict on Wed Jul 02, 2003 at 9:13 am ...
www.able2know.com/aa_webdesign.php - 31k - Jul 8, 2003 - Cached - Similar pages

btw - it looked much better on google's site with the html, etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:43 pm
The dance happens around every 30 days. But there are two ways Google spiders.

One is the freshbot, the other is the deepcrawl.

We get deepcrawled about once every 30 days but the freshbot is on the site daily.

It's hard to tell which bot is indexing, due to the amount of pages we are serving up for the spiders it literally takes days for them to spider.

Now that google ads are running here they also send another bot to cache the pages and determine ad relevancy so it's even harder to track.

Either way, I don't try to track the spidering yet. I have not yet begun any search engine optimization for this site yet.

When I do, I'll track bots and if all goes well I'll have many bots other than Google to track.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
can you recommend any decent google dance watchers? so far my favorite is fergusons which i think is in denmark, i can send the link if interested...i must check google 10 times/day hoping to see my site properly listed and potentially even indexed! what a disappointment - i do want a page rank about 0, truly Smile
funny, a small site i write for had a page rank of 6 (which amazed me) - after the last dance it dropped to 4 - oh well!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:36 pm
Ya know, wathing the dance is a huge waste of time. After some experience most webmasters stop worying so much.

On any webmaster site I am absolutely tired of the people crying about the dance and how they feel jilted (or rather they think they might be jilted).

The secret is this:

Do it right and don't worry about the search engines. They are algos. If you do it right it works. If you don't it won't.

Watching doesn't help.

Of course if you ahve to watch watch!

I use a custom application for this that I wrote. It's very simple and all it does is pass a query to all of google's servers.

You can find identical applications just by searching for the dance.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:18 am
okay, i'll stop crying (for now).
here's question number 158:
www.pocketpcthtoughs.com is a popular site, lots of viewers, links, etc. - i think they popped up to a rank of recently 7.
anyway, they just launched a sister site, www.smartphonethoughts.com
smartphone has been live for about 4 days, and has a page rank of 0, with no google links showing - anyway, google is caching the site on a daily basis.
any idea what's up with that? i can't get google to give poor gadetaddict the time of day...actually google did cache the mobile version of my site roughly june 18 (and not since), and still looks for forums/portal.php for the main site (which it doesn't find)
just curious

Question 159: by shamelessly having my site's links in my signature file for this and other sites, does that potentially help my page rank if/when it ever happens? and if so, how come you don't do that? i know you do most of the seo "tricks" so i guess if it was beneficial you'd do it - or did i miss something?
Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:50 am
The page rank for that site hasn't been calculated yet, but there must be inbound links.

------

Yes, having the links in your sig IS gonna help you. It will give you an inbound link from this site.

I don't do it because my main project right now is this site. And a link from my sig doesn't help (every link actually hurts, because my pagerank distribution is diluted).

One of the main projects I'm working on in my next release of this site is a huge reduction is links. The forum navigation will eliminate as many useless links as possible. So on teh index page, for examle, I will not link to the user profile in the last post column etc etc.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
So what can I do to be even more friendly to google? It did cache the site (once) on July 17, and I want to encourage it to come back. I had a bunch of links to the site from other locales, some with decent page ranks, but those kind of fell off of google's radar (they were a few weeks ago) - so I suppose I have to plaster the internet with my link, and hope for the best...unless of course you have some suggestions? Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 08:15 am
Well, Google tries to avoid letting you acheive a high rank artificially so the trick is to not use any of the "get PR fast" schemes. A few work but most don't so the trick is to make a solid site and the rest will fall in place.

Getting the DMOZ links is the #1 priority. Almost all search engines start their crawl will DMOZ.

I'd contact other related sites and ask to exchange links as well. Don't post your links to FFA pages and don't use any automated submission programs.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:29 am
i re-applied to dmoz - they didn't nibble when i applied previously - argh! what's a FFA page?
btw - i don't know if it was google's latest dance - previously i had a bunch of sites mention/link to gadgetaddict - the last time i checked google's backwards links, there were very few - it seems like all the prior links dried up - very frustrating.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
FFA is "Free For All". Many automated submission scripts blast your site to a bunch of these lists and Google actually penalizes for this in many cases.

Dmoz is your key.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
well, i hope dmoz finally accepts me - i've joined a few webrings - hey, for free the price is right.
i'm going to run another contest, which helped drive a bit of traffic to the site - "thinking like craven" i'm hoping publicising the giveaway will have other sites link to me (i'm always thinking of those inbound links)
otherwise, i guess it's just a waiting game, and posting all over the net so i get more inbound links - not to mention, adding some more content so sites actually link to me - anything else obvious i'm missing?
Thanks CdK!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 02:15 pm
Webrings smack of amateur sites. If you use them put them on "orphan pages".
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Webrings smack of amateur sites. If you use them put them on "orphan pages".

um, err, of course i knew that! everyone knew that! <whisper - i didn't know that>

okay, here's the deal:
1) I resubmitted to dmoz about 1 week ago
2) i have my signature linking to my site whereever i go (as in the shameless plug attached to this and every other of my posts)
3) i post on various sites, and also make mention/link to my site from there
4) i moderate on various sites, and have the aforementioned signatures
5) once in a VERY rare while, i can get a web site to link to something i've posted

can you think of any other way to improve my rankings (hell, even an improvement over a rank of zippo!!! yes, i've been a zero since february!)

google did spider my front page july 12, and i think it crawled a bit the other day, though the cache has not been updated. other than waiting, anything else you can think of?
thanks! Smile
UPDATE: i just did a search for gadgetaddict, and it appears google did in fact cache/update as of july 22 - so i guess it's starting to work....
btw - are you using automation, or are you changing your avatars more often than fletch's identity? Smile
0 Replies