Life On Mars & Religion?

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:26 am
How are you and your religion going to deal with life on Mars, (assuming we find it) given that the popular creation theologies (that I am aware of) do not encompass Martian life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,398 • Replies: 76
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:07 am
I bet we don't find life on Mars, but I bet we do find it elsewhere - in some fashion. Carry on.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:19 am
Mars does have an alluringly watery past, so I bet we either find life in some form, or fossil records. However, I don't recall any of the popular creation theologies mentioning life on mars.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:21 am
Ok, maybe fossil records.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:25 am
Fossils would still upset the creation theology apple cart, just the same as 'real life' would it not?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:33 am
I don't really know creationist theory well enough tosay. I believe you when you say it will upset the cart.....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:36 am
Here you go kids
http://www.rael.org/rael_content/intro.php?elan=English

and No. I am not a raelian.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:29 am
Chumly- Whew! I read your question wrong. I thought that you were referring to having a religion on Mars. We have enough trouble with religion right here on earth! :wink:

Hmmm................Maybe if we landed on Mars, and there WERE Martians, the Martians would worship the earthlings as gods!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:56 am
Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Conservative Christians believe that we humans are God's ultimate creation. All other forms of life are inferior to us and I suppose that would include life forms outside of our planet.

We are the apple of God's eye and the Universe was created for us. We are so special that God created us in his image.

Anyway that's the impression I get when I hear Christians yalk about the relationship between humans and God.

Now if I can just remember what the Bible says about pride, vanity and egotism. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:59 am
What if aliens have the one true religion and it ain't like ours?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:46 am
Re: Life On Mars & Religion?
Chumly wrote:
How are you and your religion going to deal with life on Mars, (assuming we find it) given that the popular creation theologies (that I am aware of) do not encompass Martian life.
Sounds like you should check in with the folks from Eckankar, Chum.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
Assuming life is found on Mars, if one of the functions of religion is to "account for life", then religion will adapt. If we discount the lunacy of "denial" by fundamentalists, it has already adapted to terrestrial fossil records by changing the status of the "holy books" towards the allegorical.

However,religion is no longer needed to account for "life" so those with a vested interest in "deities" for other reasons will be unaffected by "life elsewhere".

So either way we are going to be stuck with religion !
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
Jesus said, "Every Martian who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them will be like a wise Martian who built his house upon the red sand. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall". And the Martains saw that the terraforming was good.

New Solar Testament 7:28.29
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:19 pm
Somehow, some way, some religious yahoo will find a way to make money off of proselytizing the Martians....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
Wanna get in on the ground floor?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:10 pm
And God said, go up now to Mars City and make your living-place there: and put up an altar there to the God who came to you when you were in flight from your brother Esau of Earth.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:45 pm
During the 70's an astronaut imported some spiders from Mars, didn't he?....like some cat from Japan?

Chumly, I'm certain that when life is eventually found elsewhere, half the "church" will adapt and adjust ......and the other half won't. Same as always.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:56 pm
I like the cut of your jibe (sic) laddy!

That kind of math (½ of ½ of ½) suggests perhaps religious people are in some sense radioactive! Or that androgynous pop stars are the new messiahs?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:14 am
I doubt confirmed life on mars would upset the creationists one bit. they would simply invent a new biblical interpretation, heavy on exegesis, to explain it away.
Just like every other time something didn't congrue with their superstitions has been discovered.
Just how much time is in a 'day' anyhow?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:17 am
I just realized I have reiterated what fresco has already said.
Oh well, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread before replying Razz
0 Replies