Easy Crown Molding - Peel & Stick

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:56 pm
Has anyone tried it? If you haven't seen it, google the name of it "easy crown molding" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You might also see that it's not recommended for "sprayed" ceilings, i.e. it's only meant for smooth. I don't see why. From what I can tell the sticky part is on the back of the pieces, which goes on the wall. So what if there's a small gap over it? I don't see why that would ruin it, do you?

I am REALLY tempted to get some of this stuff for my kitchen... I just can't find any reviews of it, so I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

TIA,
Deedee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 45,055 • Replies: 23
Topic Closed
No top replies

fishin

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
I suspect you'd get equeal results for a whole lot less money by buying several rolls of duct tape in the color of your choice and applying those in place of the crap you are considering. The tape will probbaly stay up longer too.

I'd out that stuff in the same category as peel-and-stick floor tiles and wall paper made to look like paneling. It'd be fine in the basement of a summer cabin for a year or two.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
My opinion is similar to fishin's. You get what you pay for. In this case, crap seems to be an appropriate term.

If the sticky part is on the back and the back is stuck to the wall, you don't really have crown moulding, you have a piece of crap stuck to the wall.
0 Replies

smyn

Sun 14 May, 2006 09:16 pm
Easy Crown Molding Experience
In case you want to hear from someone who has actually used the stuff...

When I opened the box and saw and felt the flimsy stuff, I said "no way". Its been up 2 years now, and looks great. While it is slightly narrower than I would prefer, it still is a winner. Even passes the wife approval test.

Installed over a fairly substantial knockdown texture on both ceiling and all walls. The few small problem areas that would not stick were solved with a little temporary masking tape and the final bead of caulk at top and bottom, which also adds a little visually to the depth. Gloss white paint helps too.

I am buying more for another project. My 2 cents. Very Happy
0 Replies

username

Sun 14 May, 2006 09:31 pm
I do know that a lot of moldings and ceiling rosettes are something like styrofoam or injection molded plastic. When painted they look just like the old wood or plastic ones, and who gets up on a stepladder to feel the molding or the rosette and tap it to see if it's real. And they're so much lighter than plastic or wood that once you stick them up the adhesive will hold them there for years. HOWEVER, I don't know if I hit the same site you did, but it looked to me from their pix that the adhesive was on the TOP, not the back. If that's the case, their warning that you shouldn't use them on textured ceilings makes sense, because you'll have a lot less contact surface for the adhesive to hold onto.

Try going to your local big box hardware store, like Home Depot and take a look at what they have. See if it looks the same, and where the adhesive is. I try to avoid mail or internet order when possible, because pictures rarely look like what you actually get when it arrives. But if you think it's likely to be the same, go for it. Or not.
0 Replies

zw

Sun 28 May, 2006 12:16 pm
great idea to bump selling price
I just watched the infomercial for Easy Crown Molding. This is a great way to add to the selling price of a home. You can say it's wood, and most sellers won't get close enough to the ceiling to know it's just cheap plastic.

I figure for "3 easy payments of $19.95", I can add $1,000 per room to the asking price.

great product....just be sure that you're the seller, not the buyer.
Arella Mae

Sun 28 May, 2006 12:59 pm
I looked it up on the official site and from the pictures it does look pretty good. I think I'm going to get just enough to do the hallway and see how I like it. Our home was built in the '20s so I'm not really into spending a ton of money.

Thanx for pointing this out Caroline. I hadn't heard of it before.
0 Replies

Chai

Sun 28 May, 2006 01:06 pm
You get what you pay for...

I'm just sayin'.......
0 Replies

specul8er

Mon 4 Feb, 2008 04:55 pm
FLAT
THE REASON FOR THE FLAT CEILING IS BECAUSE THE PEEL AND STICK STICKS TO THE CEILING NOT THE WALL!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
I'd rather have no molding than cheesy molding. I'D know.

Further, if your house doesn't have crown molding, perhaps it makes no sense to add it re the architectural design.

I had gorgeous redwood crown molding in my last house (sob) and none here in my new one - but crown molding would look silly here.
Not to say that your choosing to do molding is silly, but it could be a consideration.
0 Replies

katydids

Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:56 pm
peel & stick molding
you are right and you are wrong - i put it up ladt week in my bedroom as an experiment - i have popcorn ceilings so would not stick even with glue - not to be deterred, i cut off the stick on taoe area & gluedthe back of the molding - looks terrific - you would never know and it is very secure - i used loktite fastening stuff

katydids
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:13 pm
Crown molding and popcorn ceilings, nice pairing.

Yes, I'm snotty, but not as mean as I sound. In terms of style, these clash.
Popcorn ceilings go with a certain era of house or apartment, and will probably be valued as such in not too many years, if they aren't already as time marches on.

Not that one can't mix anything together and enjoy it, just saying. It's putting a feather boa on a mule, or, more closely, riding a Percheron in a dressage ring. Both have value but make an odd couple.

One can also get rid of or cover popcorn ceilings, and I used to think that was the obvious choice. Not so sure of that anymore, depending on the house.
amey

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:07 pm
@zw,
that's real ethical....lie to the buyers...good...remind me not to buy YOUR home!
amey

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:08 pm
@amey,
The last comment was addressed to the remark above re: tell the buyers it is wood....
0 Replies

mismi

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Funny you say that Osso (off topic - sorry) - the house I'm living in now - has all crown molding - in every room...no popcorn ceilings but in the den. It is the strangest thing. And there is crown molding. But believe it or not - I don't even notice the popcorn anymore. We are going to add on in a few years (maybe) and when we do that we will scrape off the popcorn. I could never figure out why the den is the only one to have the popcorn ceiling though.
DrewDad

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:25 pm
@amey,
I've actually seen a lot of wooden crown moldings that look like crap.
ossobuco

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:58 pm
@DrewDad,
Interesting, mismi. Maybe the den was an add-on or at least worked on later..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:01 pm
@DrewDad,
I have crown molding.
In a 600+ sq ft apt.
It is the funniest damn thing I ever did see. So ........out of place.. soo.. WRONG..
And.. popcorn ceilings.

Im going to remove the popcorn over the winter time. Im lucky my landlord likes me and lets me do what I want. My ceiling will be an old world aged red Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:45 pm
@mismi,
There is a popcorn ceiling in only one room in my house. Took a few years to find out why, but I finally found out. Instead of repairing the entire ceiling following a leak - they patched the problem area and then popcorned the whole ceiling.

Oh well, someday that'll be worth the investment of fixing.
ossobuco

Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I've never suffered popcorn ceiling-itis. But I remember a lot of them, perhaps around 1970? Then tended to come with olive green or orange gold wall to wall shag carpetting and brown, beige, and orange plaid sofas..

That leak and spray fix might have happened to Mismi's den, but also maybe not.