Are women banned from playing professional baseball?

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:23 pm
My daughter and I just recently read together the book "Mighty Jackie - the Strikeout Queen." At the end it stated that after Jackie striking out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig (sp?), women were banned from professional baseball.

Out of curiosity - are women still banned from playing professional baseball?

Fantastic true story too - highly recommended for any young girls who love sports/baseball.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 3
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
I don't know about the story you are relating. Could you elucidate?

I think baseball will include women as soon as they find somebody that they think can compete. It's all about winning and money for the owners.

It certainly would be good for baseball to inlcude women if only for the publicity to gain the attention of the casual fan.

The same goes for golf. I look forward when women can be included in the men's tournaments. Maybe Michell Wei will be up to the challange. Hope so!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:46 pm
Women (including Wie) already are playing in men's golf tournaments.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:48 pm
Jackie Mitchell was a 17 year old woman pitcher for a minor league Tennessee baseball team. In an exhibition game in 1931 she struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Shortly after that professional baseball banned women from playing.

My daughter so loved this book - my normally shy girl asked the teacher if she could bring it in so the teacher could read it during their story time.

Here is a link regarding Jackie Mitchell - http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/mitchell.html
0 Replies