"Brokeback Mountain" Out (sic!) on DVD April 4th!

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:44 pm
Generic cowboys perhaps, but it wasn't a lable the producers or the studio placed on the film. I suppose every man that is in Wyoming and Texas, no matter if they are a stockbroker or an oilman, and wears the regalia, and rides a horse is now thought of as a "cowboy." You're not going to see the film which is still the number one DVD at Amazon today, beating out even "King Kong," anyway. If someone wants to start yet another thread in religion about the morality of homosexuality, hop to it. They also might want to go outside and stick their hand in a hornet nest.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
No, I'm not going to go see it, but I am wondering if you get a nickel for every DVD that's sold, because you're sure pitching it like you do.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:58 pm
Nope -- do you get a nickel everytime you promote the war or the current administration. I didn't think so.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 05:26 pm
This was to be expected!

Brokeback Mountain receives gay honour

29/03/2006 - 13:26:05

Golden Globe-winning movie Brokeback Mountain was named last year's Best Motion Picture at the 17th annual Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Awards in New York City last night.

Oscar-winning director Ang Lee received a standing ovation when he took to the stage to accept the award on behalf of everyone who worked on the heart-breaking tale of a secret love affair between two cowboys.

He told the audience: "Finally, an award that actually means something.

"(It will probably be) the very last award I will accept for Brokeback Mountain. And to end the journey here tonight is like coming home.

"The fact is Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world."

GLAAD was formed in New York City in 1985 in response to biased AIDS coverage by tabloid newspapers and news stations
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
We don't allow trolling on this site. The movie does nothing of the sort and you haven't seen it or you would know it is not about two gay cowboys.
Uuuhhh It ain't? Confused Because I know it ain't about cowboys going "fishing". Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 05:48 pm
Well, they are fishing for something! But it's not bass. Considering Jack Twist's lousy harmonica playing, I think it may be treble.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
This was to be expected!

Brokeback Mountain receives gay honour

29/03/2006 - 13:26:05

Golden Globe-winning movie Brokeback Mountain was named last year's Best Motion Picture at the 17th annual Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Awards in New York City last night.

Oscar-winning director Ang Lee received a standing ovation when he took to the stage to accept the award on behalf of everyone who worked on the heart-breaking tale of a secret love affair between two cowboys.

He told the audience: "Finally, an award that actually means something.

"(It will probably be) the very last award I will accept for Brokeback Mountain. And to end the journey here tonight is like coming home.

"The fact is Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world."

GLAAD was formed in New York City in 1985 in response to biased AIDS coverage by tabloid newspapers and news stations
Good for him!!!!! You know the oskers really lost some credit on this one.

Crash????? Rolling Eyes Give me a break. Ten minutes after I watched that movie I forgot I had even watched a movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:30 pm
Pros and cons on "Crash" for sure but not all critics raved about "Brokeback Mountain." It's politics.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:58 pm
Crash

The pros - The Material matter, racism, great. Racism is bad. Blah, Blah, Blah. I don't like racism either that don't make me a film maker.

The cons - The movie sucks, The performances suck and the content of the film does not even come close to the potential of how good of a movie the subject matter can produce.

Both films are about discrimination and one film is just flat out a better peice of work.

Better director, Better performances, better.........BETTER EVERYTHING! Lightwizard, I guess you just don't want to look biased. I don't care.

Crash sucked. Poorly written and executed sentimentality.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 08:43 pm
Wow! You really weren't impressed. I wasn't either. I didn't even get Matt Dillon's performance as any more than more Matt Dillon. I don't know -- it seemed like an actor's exercise even though I did appreciate what they were trying to do. I just didn't believe the did any better than other classic films incorporating racism like "To Kill a Mockingbird." Not even in the same class.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
Iv'e been hanging out in the political threads. Can you tell. Evil or Very Mad

Now in "To kill a mockingbird" you really do kind of feel racism, You feel the Characters. "Crash" is like watching an afterschool special.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
Don't quite dislike "Crash" as much as you do but I could have seen other films beating out BBM. It was actually a good year for independent films and BBM won the Independent Spirit Award for films made on small budgets. Looks to me like more actors will do these films but ask for a share of the profits!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:46 am
Still number one DVD seller at Amazon, beating out "Narnia" and "King Kong." People seem more interested in seeing a film about "gay cowboys" and a giant ape or a benevolent lion.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:57 am
I had a feeling that Brokeback would do huge on DVD sales/renting. I bet there are a bunch of interested folks out there that just couldn't bring themselves to walk up to the box office and ask to see a movie about two gay cowboys face to face but behind the anonymity of the internet...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
I haven't seen it but would like to.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:15 am
Still Number One today at Amazon, over "Narnia," "King Kong," and "Harry Potter." By nephews is a mechandiser for retail stores and is off loading up the displays with BBM.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
It JUST came to the theatre in my hometown (it's a *very* small town Laughing), and despite the complaining of one man who claimed he represented a "group of concerned citizens," there was no protest or fuss at all.

I talked (read: argued Smile ) with one woman who thought it was DISGUSTING, but the only other negative comments I heard were that it was a little slow. My mom, who works at the theatre, said she thought the turnout was actually a little higher than it would have been, considering how late they got it, due to people who turned out just to show support.

So I'm prouder of my dopey lil redneck town than I thought I would be. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:19 pm
Did this woman ever think there are many people disgusted by her behaviour. Sex in privacy between two consenting adults is basically none of her business. Although I know these people have noses long enough to shame even Pinochio and have likely had sex as much as same.

Wonder what she thinks of Sharon Stone's new sequel? A really bad movie with gratuitous sex -- that should please this woman?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:48 pm
Eggzactly, LW.

She said, "These movies are searing into the public's consciousness that it's okay to be gay--" and at that point I cut her off and said, "It IS okay, and what people do sexually that doesn't harm anyone else is no one's business but their own." Thank God we didn't get into it anymore than that, because there's no talking to these people that think it somehow affects society if consenting adults have the "wrong" kind of sex.

And yeah, Basic Instinct 2 is prolly just fine, because it's the "right" kind of sex-- gratuitous objectification of women is cool, as long as it's men gawkin' at 'em... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 04:01 pm
The double standard!

Target has Brokeback for $16.99 and it includes an audio CD of the original Annie Proulx story!
0 Replies