V for Vendetta

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:36 pm
V for Vendetta

by Butler Shaffer

I have always been a highly-critical moviegoer. I do not attend a film without first learning as much about it as I can, particularly from a synthesis of movie reviews and opinions provided by friends and relatives whose judgments I trust. As a consequence, I am not a "movie buff"; I have seen only one of the films nominated for major Oscars this year, Syriana, a picture I highly recommend.

It is for this reason that I awaited, with skeptical enthusiasm, the opening of V for Vendetta. I had heard so much about it ever since one of my daughters told me, a number of months ago, of a billboard she saw at the Warner Brothers studios with the accompanying language: "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

My eager anticipation of seeing this film was tempered, somewhat, by past experiences. Was this to be just another superficial anti-establishment flick, with a few libertarian one-liners thrown in for effect, and a sufficient amount of pyrotechnics to induce teenagers to attend? I have seen enough movies in which tyrannical statists brutalize innocent people, but with an heroic FBI or Justice Department official entering, at the end, to expose and rectify the wrongdoing and, in so doing, leave the audience with the assurance that the "system" works to correct itself.

My wife and I attended the opening day of this film and, I am happy to report, it far exceeded my expectations. Not only is this the most powerful anti-state film I have ever seen - one that makes no compromises with the system - but is, purely from a film-making perspective, one of the best movies I have seen in some time. Had the subject matter of this film been anti-vivisectionism, the depletion of the rainforests, or the sorrows of divorcées, its acting, writing, direction, and other production features would have made watching it an enjoyable experience.

The story takes place in a 21st century England that is ruled by the most vicious of tyrants, played by John Hurt. In his regime, people are continually reminded that a state-imposed curfew is "for your protection," with painful consequences awaiting those who do not comply. Into this setting steps the hero, "V" - played by Hugo Weaving - a man who had been brutalized by statist functionaries, and who is intent on destroying this most inhumane, fascistic state.

I shall not spoil the movie for you by revealing more of its story. Suffice it to say that, from a libertarian/anarchistic perspective, this film is for real! It digs beneath the surface of events to reveal the psychological factors - particularly our own fears - and institutional interests that combine to make tyranny possible. Natalie Portman - who plays the heroine, Evey - does a magnificent job playing out the sense of self-liberation so essential to a free life.

Prior to my attending this film, I encountered reviews by a few statists who saw the film as a "defense of terrorism." Such a comment reveals more about the reviewers than of the movie itself. Any kind of resistance to tyranny is bound to strike terror into the hearts of members of the established order. Thus were the American colonials and Mohandas Gandhi "terrorists" to the British; the Warsaw ghetto uprisings and the French underground movements "terrorist" actions to the German government; and the organized resistance of Algerians acts of "terrorism" to the French. Even today, the Iraqi resistance to the destruction and domination of their country is regarded as "terrorism" by the invading American state!

The openly anarchistic nature of this movie will produce shudders in well-conditioned statists who, in the words of F.A. Hayek, cling to their "fear of trusting uncontrolled social forces." Such people will trot out historic instances in which self-proclaimed "anarchists" killed a few score of people, as evidence of the need for government. That states managed, in the 20th century alone, to slaughter some 200,000,000 people in wars and genocides has never provided an occasion for defenders of political systems to do a practical cost/benefit analysis of these alternative systems!

While V for Vendetta contains a great deal of violence, "V" reminds us, early on, of the social application of Newton's Third Law of Motion: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a political context, it is as childish to posit the violence engaged in by one group as "peacekeeping" and the opposing group as "terrorism," as it is to regard one side as "good" and the other as "evil." It is the interdependent violence inherent in all political systems that is made evident in this film.

There is one poignant scene in this movie in which thousands of unarmed, peaceful individuals confront the well-armed military forces of the state. This scene, more than any other, may provide insight into how society might evolve in a world in which vertically-structured institutions are collapsing. The transformations of thinking that are arising from the study of "chaos," or "complexity," are producing changes in social behavior that make state systems obsolete. The predictability the statists imagine inheres in their structured apparatuses has been rendered illusory. Terry Pratchett's observation that "chaos always defeats order because it is better organized," reflects a world in flux. Perhaps a film such a V for Vendetta will provide us an opportunity to begin exploring the orderly nature of anarchistic systems.

I have no doubt that this film will generate "terror" in the minds of those who regard the domination of others either as some inherent right or as an inevitable necessity for social order. But it is not the fear of violence that will be their principal concern. Violence will be the fear that the media will transmit to the boobeoisie to keep them huddled at the feet of their masters. The establishment's fear is not that buildings will be blown up - on the contrary, the destruction of the World Trade Center actually benefited the state - but that men and women will begin to dismantle the structures of political authority in their thinking. To paraphrase the words of Evey, it is not buildings that people need, but hope.

For those who are serious about living in a society in which peace, liberty, and the inviolability of the human spirit prevail, V for Vendetta provides an opportunity to rethink our social assumptions; to develop new ideas about our relationships to one another. And as "V" informs us, "ideas are bulletproof." This film is a powerful antidote to the mindset that is destroying mankind. It is not for those who wish only to reform the state and confirm beliefs that the 20th century has rendered no longer suitable to the interests of humanity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,838 • Replies: 22
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:43 am
Pretentious crap IMHO.It was a bad film,badly acted.All based on the story of Guy Faulks,an Irishman,who tried to blow up "the seat of mother government".Freedom is not obtained through violence.You get it through the ballot box,e.g. Northern Ireland.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:31 am
he wasnt the ring leader, he was just the person that got captured an blamed for it.
Poor bloke, even tho he did try to blow up the H.o.P.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:33 pm
Dude, I really looking forward to checking this out...thanks for the review. I want to try to see it on I-max...
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:07 am
material girl wrote:
he wasnt the ring leader, he was just the person that got captured an blamed for it.
Poor bloke, even tho he did try to blow up the H.o.P.

Poor bloke?????? Just because things wern't going the way he or his cronies wanted,he was prepared to blow things up and kill people! Jerry Adams in Northern Ireland,eventually,realised that this is not the way to affect change.Is Osama Bin-Laden on your Christmas card list Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:13 am
Er no, he's on my 'people id like to see tortured' list.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:22 am
Thanks for bringing this film to my attention. Its a new century, about time I watched a 21st century motion picture.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:27 am
Maybe you should do some research into it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:43 am
Its on at my local cinema, might go and watch it
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:11 am
You didnt pick up on my sarcasm.Remember Venice?
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:29 am
With Anonymouse's libertarian screed leading this topic off, I wonder if he realized that "V" was originally written as a parable against what was perceived as the authoritarian nature of Margaret Thatcher's right-wing government, which in fact privatized much of the state-owned economy, with disastrous effects for many hurt by it. Which is kinda the exact opposite lesson from what Anon thought it was.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:48 am
Wasnt it written by somebody that writes/draws comics in the UK.He also wrote From Hell and hasnt been impressed by either films.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:44 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Thanks for bringing this film to my attention. Its a new century, about time I watched a 21st century motion picture.

Post ASAP Steve,would love to hear another Brits view Cool
0 Replies

EY

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:31 am
I saw it. And i liked it. But some part like the end aren't so good. But i still liked it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:01 pm
I loved this film. It worked for me at many levels. It is an intricately woven film, in which the chalk "X"'s on cell doors turn up again later on the door of the "warden", made to put it there himself; Lots of little connected flourishes which link things together.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:15 am
well I said I would go and see it so...I'm gonna go and see it...as soon as
0 Replies

lokimonoxide

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:30 pm
This movie was pretty good but the message is so in your face. The united states, bush blah blah blah. There is no subtlety in movies anymore where you have to search for meaning, its right there on a platter for you. Same with Crash.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
well now I'm not so sure about seeing it...

If someone would kindly post a precis of the full story..it would save me time and money thanks
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:45 am
lokimonoxide wrote:
This movie was pretty good but the message is so in your face. The united states, bush blah blah blah. There is no subtlety in movies anymore where you have to search for meaning, its right there on a platter for you. Same with Crash.

it's interesting timing for the film, given present day situations, but as was stated earlier it is based on a mid 80's series of comics, aimed at margaret thatcher's government
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:59 am
I saw this movie in Orange county Calif.. Some people walked out of the Movie at the scene when they were talking about the Koran. I was surprised at how radical the film was. It was clear the film was a message to the American people.
0 Replies