Intellect Vs Emotions

vinsan

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:28 am
I have a question here ...

In a test, a questioner narrated following incident ...

"It was a sports stadium.

Eight Children were standing on the track to participate in the running event. * Ready! * Steady! * Bang !!!

With the sound of Toy pistol , all eight girls started running.

Hardly have they covered ten to fifteen steps , one of the smaller girl s slipped and fell down, due to bruises and pain she started crying .
When other seven girls heard this sound , stopped running, stood for a while and turned back , they all ran back to the place where the girl fell down. One among them bent, picked and kissed the girl gently and enquired 'Now pain must get relieved'. All seven girls lifted the fallen girl, pacified her, two of them held the girl firmly and they all seven joined hands together and walked together and reached the winning post.

Officials were shocked . Clapping of thousands of spectators filled the stadium. Many eyes were filled with tears and perhaps it had reached the GOD even! " .......... Now the questioner stops and asks... analyse the behaviour of those children

A Participant says, "They are small children so they tend to think by their heart"......... He gets 0 points.

A Participant says, "May be it was a charitable Sport"...... She gets -ve for bringing a comic stupid perspective to the show. Rolling Eyes

Third one answers, "They all must be Mentally Challenged" .......... & He earns all the points.

What do you hink was that test? EQ or IQ...... & Please elaborate.

Me thinks its IQ.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,302 • Replies: 22
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:30 am
Methinks it's a bogus test....
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:32 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Methinks it's a bogus test....

bogus IQ or bogus EQ test.... ? Razz
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:34 am
Bogus test of whatever stripe the tester wants to make it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
The aim of this question may be to imply that IQ tests are misleading, but what kind of an IQ test give points for a guy who concludes that the kids are mentally challenged? That's not even correct at all.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
It isn't an IQ test question. Anyone that has spent any time with mentally challenged kids or people that have worked with them know that they wouldn't have the wherewithal to walk hand in hand to the finish line and all cross at the same time.

It is a psychologically interesting question. The man who got all the points thinks that it is "mentally retarded" to care about others when he can win by not caring. It could be part of an EQ test.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:06 am
I think its an IQ question. It needs good logical reasoning to reach an answer like that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:15 am
vinsan wrote:
I think its an IQ question. It needs good logical reasoning to reach an answer like that.

Except it isn't logical reasoning at all.

Mentally handicapped children could well stop running because they are distracted. They won't be able to, as a group, decide to cross the line together. There is a goal to reach the finish line. They are easily distracted from that goal yet somehow they can concentrate on the goal after they are distracted and function as one group? If they have that much focus and ability to concentrate then they aren't mentally challenged.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:52 pm
parados wrote:
vinsan wrote:

Except it isn't logical reasoning at all.

Mentally handicapped children could well stop running because they are distracted. They won't be able to, as a group, decide to cross the line together. There is a goal to reach the finish line. They are easily distracted from that goal yet somehow they can concentrate on the goal after they are distracted and function as one group? If they have that much focus and ability to concentrate then they aren't mentally challenged.

There are many high functioning mentally retarded people that would be very capable of making a decision to join and cross a finish line in unison. Sheltered living facilities are filled with people that are legally mentally retarded that hold jobs, manage their own money, cook their own meals and manage their own apartment - all with minimal supervision. If they can do those they can certianly decide to walk with others to a finish line.

As for the original question - I'd have to guess that it would be a question on an EQ test simply because there isn't enough information in the narative to reach the conculsion that was awarded the points. IQ test questions are designed to either point directly to the correct answers or to rule out possible answers leaving only one anser as possible (i.e. they are designed around the concept of reasoning). This narrative/question isn't which leaves EQ as the remainig possibility.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
The test is questionable. Best guess is that it is an EQ test, but that still doesn't make sense.
For one thing, mental retardation does not necessarily mean heightened emotional intelligence. That's obvious to anyone who has spent time working with people with special needs. They run the whole line of personalities and temperments. Some would plow through to win, others wouldn't.

The whole test kinda confuses me. Someone made up a story? That's all I can figure. Or had some time on their hands and wanted to make some sort of point.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
I understand that there are functioning mentally retarded people fishin.

I just don't buy that the logical answer is they must be mentally retarded. flushd stated it much better than I could about the different personalities.

It would be more likely that they are all friends and the mental capacity has no bearing at all.

I think it is an EQ test because the person that gets the points seems to think that caring about others more than you do about winning is mentally retarded.

If we look at it from the standpoint of group dynamics. It is a group that spends time together. I would think there must be a dominate personality (A) in the group. The race starts, one of the other girls falls. A stops, the other follow A's lead. A decides (suggests) they will all cross together, the others follow again. The lack of competition in the group leads me to think there must be one person that is viewed as the leader. There is no requirement that they be mentally challenged. If 6 year olds did this they would get the response from the audience.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
parados wrote:
I just don't buy that the logical answer is they must be mentally retarded.

I think it is an EQ test because the person that gets the points seems to think that caring about others more than you do about winning is mentally retarded.

We come to the same conclusion but by different means. I get there because, as you state, the answer that was awarded points is NOT a logical answer (based on the info given in the narrative).

Quote:
If we look at it from the standpoint of group dynamics. It is a group that spends time together. I would think there must be a dominate personality (A) in the group. The race starts, one of the other girls falls. A stops, the other follow A's lead. A decides (suggests) they will all cross together, the others follow again. The lack of competition in the group leads me to think there must be one person that is viewed as the leader. There is no requirement that they be mentally challenged. If 6 year olds did this they would get the response from the audience.

IMO, you are over-thinking the question here and missing the main point. The question here isn't about group dynamics or how the people in the group might react. You are analyzing the respondant's motivations and getting wrapped up in it at depths that aren't necessary.

The only question is whether the narrative is from an an EQ or IQ test. The answer that was awarded points was not a logical answer - something an IQ test wouldn't present. That leaves us with it being from an EQ test (which doesn't require that it be logical).
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:10 am
What on earth is that rubbish Vinsan?
You made that up right? it doesnt even make sense.
What is a EQ test anyway?
In my opinion it would not be too wrong to say EQ is the opposite of IQ. Emotional people tend to be more stupid. Instead of thinking things through in conflict, i have found emotional people just attack the things that were said by "how could you say that" or "so you think this this and this"(said in a mocking/shocked tone), instead of forming a logical opinion/answer.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
RaceDriver205 wrote:
You made that up right? it doesnt even make sense.

It isn't fake. Its from Reader's Digest's Riddle page. I don't remember the issue date though. Embarrassed

What made you think that I made that in first place?

Why getting enraged with this.... I mean I found it absolutely concerting and opt for the question raised there.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
It's alright vinsan. I think that riddle doesn't make sense. The kids don't seem retarded to me, they seem the sanest of all kids. I don't get why the guy got points.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:36 pm
Parados, I do not see any "test" here, only a beautiful, if fictive, description of a spiritual moment. Got any more?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:28 am
hey, there's no test. I'd have to agree with JL.

Those girls trancended the whole notion of competition, showing a capacity for emotion and intellect wich blows the entire test away
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:08 pm
i can't believe that such a question can be part of a test. i dont know--it just seems like it's not the typical question to ask...there's too many choices.
0 Replies

Openmindedone1678

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:16 pm
EQ vs IQ which applies to Human Nature
EQ measures Emotional no? and IQ measures intellectual? well, for 7 other girls to put aside their competitive nature as human beings is remarkable. Every human being is competitive in their own right, and so I think this test measured on Emotional because compassion is an emotion and not an intellectual frame of mind per say.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 03:33 am
vinsan wrote:

I agree it appears to be a question of judgment. I think judgment is always a mixture of emotion and reason and thus it must be testing our IQ, I guess. I am not sure what an IQ test discovers. Does it discover our innate potential or does it test our judgmental ability?
0 Replies