Hawaii or U.S. Virgin Islands for a Honeymoon?

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Okay, I'm getting married at the end of July and we would like to travel someplace warm and inviting. We've narrowed it down to Hawaii or the US Virgin Islands. I've been to Maui once, over ten years ago, and have never seen any part of the USVI except in travel pictures I find on the internet. We'd like to be there (wherever there turns out to be) for a week. Any thoughts, advice, first-hand knowledge or direction would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my bride-to-be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,690 • Replies: 25
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
Congratulations!

She's a lucky girl.

(I've never been to either one so I'm no help. )
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:11 pm
Thanks! Actually, I'm the lucky one, though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:24 pm
virgin islands huh... well maybe when you first get there....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:27 pm
Yes, then it will be the Deflowered Islands...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 07:29 am
Well, which will afford less jet lag when you fly there?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:43 am
Hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure, but probably Hawaii.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
As the person at AAA (that's Triple A, not AA!) pointed out, it will be hurricane season in the Caribbean at that time of year. Looks like Hawaii for me and my blushing bride-to-be! Anyone know anything about Kauai?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
The Island of St Croix has a huge oil refibery on the one side and, depending on the breezes , you can smell the wonderul aroma of cracking towers. Go with the AAA advice.

"OOOOH they grow up SO quickly" boo hoo.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
Kauai is so rainy, though... I liked the big island a lot, i know it's not the glamourous one, but you can just pick what kind of weather you are in the mood for that day, and drive there. Spend a day in rainforest, a day in rolling green hills, a day in hot sun on the beaches, take a day to see the volcanoes... and it's so big that you can find out-of-the-way beaches that you have all to yourself. Oh, now I've made myself want to be in Hawaii again! Sad
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 03:05 pm
Will it be rainy in August?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 03:16 pm
I think it's basically "the rainy island" but i'm not sure. A quick google search would probably give you more info...I'll see if i can find anything...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
Change in plans. My sweetie mentioned last night that she always loved San Francisco. Now I'm thinking Amtrak to SF-- I avoid the 10 hour drive that way and besides who doesn't love a train?-- and stay up there for a week.

Besides, trying to fit Hawaii into my budget, or my budget into Hawaii, was really proving to be frustrating.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Ooh, the train and SF! That sounds great! the last time we stayed in SF, we had a great time. If you're into museums at all, the Legion of Honor museum is fantastic. Have a good time!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
I always liked the Japanese Tea Gardens and the Steinhart Aquarium.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:37 pm
So, San Fran's the answer?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:50 pm
I went to Oahu and Kauai last July and the weather was fantastic both places - no rain!

Kauai is quieter and more beautiful, I thought. More romantic place and there were a lot of honeymooners so it must be the place to go!

San Francisco will keep you busy with all that's going on there but you two have to take a day-trip to Napa (preferably a bus-tour so you can drink all you want as you visit several wineries).
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
A sidetrip to Napa/Sonoma is definitely in the plans.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:34 pm
we took a 15 day roundtrip-cruise from san diego to hawaii in nov/dec 04 - we really enjoyed it . weather was excellent - warm but not oppresive .
we didn't like the idea of a 12 hour flight from toronto to hawaii , so we flew to san diego (enjoyed our 3 day stay) and sailed from there .
we are 'water-rats' so we didn't mind being on the pacific (who wasn't always 'pacific') for 5 days going and coming back - would do it again anytime !
hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:47 pm
I'm with heeven - loved Kauai. It's less touristy and has very romantic,
quiet beaches - no rain at all. The perfect honeymoon place.

San Francisco is nice, but not that (Hawaii) nice.
0 Replies