The art of the first snow storm

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:36 am
We have just had it. The perfect first snow storm.Three perfect inches of snow on every wrought iron fence , balcony and winding staircase to the heavens. Trees both barren and full add to the sympony of flakes, with counter horizontal lines carrying the bars of music. A perfect 3 hours in which for the world to make it's mark and eventually change all together and eventually leave no trace . The palatte of winter is indeed a sight to behold. ....

What do you look for and see ? Remember it only happens once a year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,630 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:39 am
Lucky you. Here in Boston it's raining, a miserable cold drizzle that chills the soul and lends a bittersweet coda to the multiple debacles at the polls yesterday. Ah, to be in Montreal now that winter's here.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
The first snow in its first hours is a fairy tale come true. I especially love the trees coated in ice after and ice storm.

In Fort Worth, Texas, today we woke to sunshine for the first time in about two weeks. What a relief to know sunshine still exists and I feel exlierated by the brightness. The sun shines so much down here that a cloudy rainy and stormy day is often welcome. But over two weeks of rain with not sun is not good.

Snow in the DFW area, yike, you do not want to be here for that. It isn't pretty. Texas trucks slippin and a slidden. They don't seeme to understand that you cannot drive 57 miles per on snow and ice.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:00 am
Joanne, know what you mean. I've seen the laughable results of a minor storm in Washington, DC. What would be considered a minor dusting of snow in Boston becomes a major catstrophic event in DC. People living south of the Mason-Dixon line just don't have any idea of how to handle their vehicles when there's snow and ice on the ground. It's hilarious.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:11 am
Once in D.C. they predicted snow and during the evening rush hours there were over 350 fender benders on a sprinkling of snow that barely made the road wet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 02:34 pm
L.A. gets like that about rain. Ridiculous.

Algis, yes, the poetry of first snowfall... few things are lovelier.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 04:34 pm
Winter Boarding of the Epp Farm

Beneath the frozen pole star, a barn
shoulders into the cold

air stretched crystalline tight
like barbed wire from dark mast to dark mast

Black rooster on the prow of the farmhouse
shivers, wide-eyed as

whispering, knives in their teeth
each swashbuckle snowflake
fixes soft grapples
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 06:37 am
I´m in Scandinavia and am used to the snow but the Danes are getting less and less of it.
Snow in a large city is never fun for more than an hour.I´m a cyclist and dislike being covered in tsunami like sprays of freezing cold black sludge from passing vehicles.It´s more effective than a pot of coffee for waking up in the morning though.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 01:39 pm
Algis, your description of the first snow is lovely.

My first snow came when I was a child in Tucson, AZ. I think the thing I first noticed, even before I knew it had snowed, was the silence. Snow really is a blanket, absorbing all the usual noises we take for granted.

I remember waking and wondering at the quiet, then looking out the window in wonder. It was the first time it had snowed in Tucson for several years and I was in junior high school.

I raced outside and made a snowman, using almost all the snow on the lawn. I didn't own any warm caps so I put a sun hat on his head. He looked pretty ridiculous, but he was wonderful--my first snow and my first snowman.

The first snow of the season remains magical for me, even in Connecticut. The world changes and watching the beauty of it is as mesmerizing as watching a fire or the ocean's waves breaking on shore.

Blatham, I love the poem. Did you write it?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 02:26 pm
I am inspired by all..............

I think a new poem is going to come from this.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:58 pm
Algis we are, well I am waiting. Love poetry.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 07:41 am
We just had our second snow falling.
It really was not that appauling
In fact, it had no feeling or personality at all.
Like Tuesday.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
The sequel is never as good as the original.
0 Replies