Why are you religious? Please give your reasons.

kevnmoon

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 06:07 pm
JLNobody wrote:
By the way, echi, perhaps, but I don't think so.

Thanks, Kev.

Echi ? What is it ?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:35 pm
kevmo--

I was asking JLN about something he's mentioned a couple times... I still don't really understand it, yet. Some kind of non-personal will, maybe.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
echi, I expound a lot on my "perspective" which is more or less an expression of zen Buddhism as I have come to understand it intellectually. But zen is not an intellectual endeavor, so much of what I say is misleading and highly personal. Moreover, I hope I will grow out of it some day.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:05 am
Doktor S wrote:
Lash wrote:
Alot of people were born into a belief, but don't most people question it at some point in their life?

Those that can generally do.
But some people are really stupid, and even more gullible.
I'd imagine those people die with unquestioned faith.

Your point?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:22 am
When you really get into the nitty gritty of it, language is quite the pain in the arse. Someone pointed out a classic phrase that we all use without thinking a while back, "it's raining", what's raining? Kind of places some of this in perspective. It can be extremely hard, if not impossible, to convey certain thoughts and feelings with some of these subjects. I know I've thought about things that I've instantly realised I'd struggle to convey in any serious sense.

Regarding the gestures and expressions of nature, I don't see it as a will but more of an is, happening or process. Again the language barrier creeps in. How about,

Quote:
Prayer is as natural an expression of faith as breathing is of life
...and as choice is of nature

------

Also, instead of looking at choice from the individual perspective, so, I could do this, that or the other and there will be a will or want to make that choice, how about taking a step back and looking at someone else's situation and seeing the choices available to said person as an inevitability of him existing. Then, when you take a further step back, you forget ego and self etc (or individuals) and see them as simply a component of a whole, choices simply become expressions of nature, inevitable ones based on what nature is (or we think it is).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:11 pm
Ashers, Very Happy
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:32 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Lash wrote:
Alot of people were born into a belief, but don't most people question it at some point in their life?

Those that can generally do.
But some people are really stupid, and even more gullible.
I'd imagine those people die with unquestioned faith.

Your point?

I would think it would be painfully obvious. Of course, I can see how you, possibly falling into the category I am describing, might choose to play dumb Smile
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:25 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Ashers, Very Happy

Laughing Thanks JL, when I see an interesting train of thought I try to run with it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
Chumly,

Haven't read all the pages (not sure if anyone else has mentioned it) but it's good to keep in mind that the reasons people give for being religious could be a very long way away from the real reasons.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:23 pm
Very good point! I wonder how to tell the rationalized justifications from the underlying facts.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm
I think it safe to assume that there is an element of rationalization in virtually all (including my) pronouncements.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:07 am
JL, I dunno if you try to be funny or not, but I've gotten many a chuckle n' smile from reading you. Laughing
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:19 am
I know, right? You're funny as hell, JL.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:30 am
The reason, and I've quoted this before, is that many people have an irrational fear of randomness and religion is a comfortable way to explain randomness. Let them have what they want. I certainly don't want it -- I would equate that to having a frontal lobotomy.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:40 am
My wife still looks at me with a certain degree of incredulousness when I tell her I have no religious beliefs. Well that is perhaps not quite the case as I have a belief in the future of man's potentiality to become godlike, but that gets an even more raised eyebrow effect from her.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:48 am
Yeah, but which god? There are nine billion names for god.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:14 am
I guess it's a "case of conscience".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:20 am
Oh, we will never hear the end of this. Infinity isn't far enough.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:05 am
Hopefully before "nightfall".
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:11 am
Chumly

"It was a dazzling four-sun afternoon...." Wink

..a big favourite that one. (The short version even more so.)
0 Replies