Why are you religious? Please give your reasons.

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:27 pm
gus wrote:
Quote:
I looked around the church -- old people, people with dementia in their eyes -- and I asked myself why I was in this situation. What did I do wrong to suffer at such a young age?

I'd like to make that my new sig line.

Beautifully said .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:28 pm
It was a lovely post, all together, sad as the content may be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:32 pm
Yes, a genuine piece of literature, and from the swamp. Wow!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
O.K., but asking for "reasons" does suggest to me a request for the basis for a choice.
To me "choice" suggests a reason regarding a goal that PULLS one from the anticipated future--if I do this I will gain this or avoid that.
A "cause", by contrast, implies a PUSH from the past--an antecedent condition or force that impels a present condition, e.g., religious belief or membership.
I did look up "reason" before I started: "an underlying fact or cause" , "the basis or motive for an action" so I figured cause was covered too.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
I guess my religion would be a faith in the future success of man to become godlike.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:06 pm
I'm not religious, because I see no real point to it other than fear of death - I don't fear death.

I know that wasn't the question exactly, but I guess I'm more of one to ASK that very question than answer it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:05 am
So I can paraphrase your question, Chumly, as "Please give your causes?" Doesn't sound right to me.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:31 am
I see what you mean, nevertheless
Chumly wrote:
It seems to me you could say "my reason for being religious is because my family insisted I go to church" or "my reason for being religious is because I am a traditional Jew" or "my reason for being religious is because I have always felt there must be something more than just the physical" or "my reason for being religious is because it has never occurred to me to not be religious" or "my reason for being religious is because it just feels right" or "my reason for being religious is because my best friend was in school and I went along".

Where is the overt conscious decision you suggest is inherent in my question if it is answered in that fashion?

It gets funner:

1) What causes the sun's heat?
2) What are the reasons for the sun's heat?
3) What causes cats to purr?
4) What are the reasons cats purr?
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 02:36 am
Xingu.. Every people is free. Because you see violent is everywhere.. God doesn't like violent or etc... He has power for everything but he doen't prevent lots of thing....Also christian's wrongs and also Muslim's wrongs.. But believe me , He supports who works. Because gave freewill to last day.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 02:42 am
Re: Why are you religious? Please give your reasons.
Chumly wrote:

There are two rules:
1) Don't say because the Bible or Torah or Koran etc tells you so.
2) Scriptural quotations longer than two sentences punishable by 20 lashings (this mean you kevnmoon!)

Because I am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 03:00 am
I'm born in a part of the country which is Catholic since more than 1200 years and in a family which is Catholic now since nearly 750 years - I didn't find a real reason to change this tradition, but don't consider me religious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 03:36 am
<nods to Gus>
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:40 am
Hinteler's reason is the reason most people are in the religion they're in; they're born in it. It's the family religion.

In my wife's family they're all Catholic because they were born and raised in a Catholic family. There's one nun and one priest in the family.

Family and local culture is one of the main reasons people are of the religion they're in. Think of how many Muslims are Muslims because of where they were born and the culture they grew up in.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
Doktor S wrote:
neologist wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Yes, choice.
The experience of choice.
That you can and wil ultimately only choose one way does not preclude the experience itself Smile
Was it a choice freely made?

Freedom too is an illusion from where I sit. Yet perhaps the most important illusion we have.
So YOU made the choice, but it was really an illusion?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
Hi Neo.
'Choice' is, from where I sit, an experience. An experience caused by the culmination of an unknown amount of deterministic factors.
As we can only experience 'things' sequentially, we do not 'know' what we will do all the time. (some of the time we have enough information to predict 'what we would do' but not always)
However, how we perceive and how things are are not mutually exclusive.
We experience 'choice' as the end result of a web of causal events. These events themselves, the results of other series' of causal events.
I don't 'make' a choice, I am a conduit for the experience of choice.
The outcome to each percieved 'choice' is inevitable as it is predictable. (given the right technology and information)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
Alot of people were born into a belief, but don't most people question it at some point in their life?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
Lash wrote:
Alot of people were born into a belief, but don't most people question it at some point in their life?

Those that can generally do.
But some people are really stupid, and even more gullible.
I'd imagine those people die with unquestioned faith.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
Well, that's one way to put it.

lol
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
Doktor S wrote:
Hi Neo.
'Choice' is, from where I sit, an experience. An experience caused by the culmination of an unknown amount of deterministic factors.
As we can only experience 'things' sequentially, we do not 'know' what we will do all the time. (some of the time we have enough information to predict 'what we would do' but not always)
However, how we perceive and how things are are not mutually exclusive.
We experience 'choice' as the end result of a web of causal events. These events themselves, the results of other series' of causal events.
I don't 'make' a choice, I am a conduit for the experience of choice.
The outcome to each percieved 'choice' is inevitable as it is predictable. (given the right technology and information)
That you may have reasons for making a choice is not proof that the choice was inevitable.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:22 am
yes, I think that what is being said here is the case. Most people do not adopt their relilgion; they are adopted by the religion of their parents or the dominant religion of their ethnic community. Some may change but most do not.

"Born again" Christian fundamentalist religiousity is essentially a "change your religion", "renew your life", conversion phenomenon, which helps to account for its fervor. Old traditional religions seem to be more staid. The major religions have theologians of high scholarship and intelligence; this is not the case for Christian fundamentalist denominations; They are populists movements in which the highest level of thinking is the same as that of the popular level. This is not the case with the two-tiered major religions of Judaism, Catholicism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam where there exist levels of thought not intellectually or spiritually accessible by the masses. But these religions also have their popular levels which are no less ridden with simplicity and superstition than seen in Christian fundamentalism.
0 Replies