Consumer Reports on Cookware. Is this credible?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:44 pm
But I meant in the dump... how long for total pan breakdown...

I have no clue about teflon or other coated aluminum or cast iron breakdown in the soil. Just musing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:48 pm
Oh. Well, neither do I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:50 pm
In the meantime, happy cooking to you..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:51 pm
You chuck pots and pans in the dump?

We have big recycling centres that have different bins for all this type of stuff. Don't you?

Car batteries, glass, clothes, cardboard, paper, paint pots, various metal items, tin cans, garden waste, electrical items etc etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:01 am
No. It's a very small town.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:49 pm
After having used this stuff for a half year, it gets my endorsement. After heavy use, the skillet is still not sticking, and the surface hasn't begun to degrade.

It is quite a bit lighter than most good cookwear, yet it cooks evenly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
On the dump issue, I've almost never gotten rid of cookware. Indeed I bought a Belgian made enamelled cast iron pot at the Salvation Army about fifteen years ago and still use it. I've a bunch of Le Cruset pots, mostly gifts as they cost an arm and a leg. Still have a wedding gift Dansk pot, long after the marriage frittered. Still have my Army Surplus cast iron pans and dutch oven... (I may be repeating myself, haven't reread the thread.)

I do admit to tossing a cheap frying pan from time to time.

Glad you like your cookware, Roger...
0 Replies

Gourmand

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:06 pm
La Creuset is the best of several sets of premium brand stuff. On the cheap side is Faberware any good? My Creuset set is heavy but cooks beautifully and after a suds soak wipes clean with a plastic scrubee. The enamel is the trick. Goin on twenty years now -(not day to day stuff)- but looks/works brand new.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:40 pm
@Gourmand,
I use one of my Le Creuset pots a few times a week; it's still in terrific shape, as I expect it to be. I also have one of their big somewhat curve shaped pots with lid. Talk about heavy. I use that for braising sometimes.

Just looked it up (freaked at the price) - I see it's called a Bouillabaisse Pot
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/c318_1/index.cfm?pkey=ccookware%2Dle%2Dcreuset&ckey=cookware%2Dle%2Dcreuset

couldn't get the william-sonoma photo to link (probably my fault) but here's an amazon one of the bouillabaisse pot -
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NHJ8S7EXL._AA280_.jpg

By the way, welcome to a2k, gourmand.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@Tomkitten,
My favorite is a four quart Revere Ware copper bottom pot that I got with GREEN STAMPS (If you can remember those, you are as old as I am), around 45 years ago. Would not get a replacement for that pot!
0 Replies

Eslica52

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:47 am
I bought flavorstone for 149 US. it was a rated through cooking forum reviews that it was a durable non stick cook ware set.
0 Replies