okie

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:55 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Obama need not surprise

And how many people are voting FOR Obama simply because of race, Bill? Why are you obsessed with race, Bill, is the question I have, and why does anyone have to lose because of race? Have you ever thought of the possibility it might be something else?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:03 pm
Quote:

In regard to distance from work, I have always chosen to live within about 15 minutes from work, and right now it is about 9 minutes. I don't drive a Prius, but I would challenge most Prius owners to show they burn less fuel going to work than I do.

That's a challenge you would lose, for the prius would likely run the whole way - or most of it - on battery power alone, and if there's highway driving involved, you definitely would lose - if the distances traveled were the same.

Now for the fun part.

Quote:

Do you realize what is being debated here?

Yes.

Quote:
If you mandate auto manufacturers to build only vehicles that get 40 mpg as woiyo does so casually, then why not mandate size of homes, and mandate distance from work

The size of one's home and the distance that one lives from work do not materially affect the environment on a regular basis. Automobiles dump pollutants into the atmosphere as a course of their usage. Different thing completely.

Quote:
and mandate what the thermostat can be set at at home (welcome thermostat police)

See above.

Quote:
and what about outlawing any wasteful appliance or vehicle

Fine with me, as along as efficient replacements are made first.

Quote:
how about boats over a certain size

The size of a boat is not directly related to it's pollution output. Large sailboats effectively output none during usage. You didn't think this through very well.

Quote:
lawn mowers, size of yards to mow, size of gardens, rototillers, ATVs (how about farmers and ranchers using for business vs recreational use?).?

None of these are directly related to the pollutive output involved in their use. Lawnmowers with two-stroke engines need to be improved or replaced, they are pollutive as hell, but better ones are pretty clean. ATV's should have emissions standards, and I believe that they do...

You can do a lot better then this, Okie, if you spend more then 30 seconds thinking about stuff.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
You didn't make any good argument against any of my points. Most people live alot further from work that drive a Prius, I would guess. And size of home does affect energy usage. Just a couple of examples. The sailboat point was pointless. Sailboats could be exempted, it is size of boat or boat motor here that I was addressing. All of my points are valid.

If you want to control gasoline use, simply cap the amount of gas people can buy, not the vehicle they drive. Driving a tiny car means nothing if you drive it constantly. Another point, plane travel should be capped if you are serious about all of this, cyclops, as you seem to favor some sort of energy police.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:15 pm
okie wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Obama need not surprise

And how many people are voting FOR Obama simply because of race, Bill? Why are you obsessed with race, Bill, is the question I have, and why does anyone have to lose because of race? Have you ever thought of the possibility it might be something else?

You've posed two questions:

First: How many people are voting FOR Obama because of his race? I take this to mean, how many people who would otherwise vote republican will vote for Obama because he is black (since if they were going to vote Dem anyway, it's not a gain.) I think very few Republican voters are moving Obama's direction because he is black. Of course, there is not any data to support that, but that is my opinion.

Second: Why do you assume that those not voting for Obama are doing so because of race? Once again, I'm assuming your are talking about those who would ordinarily vote Dem AND don't particularly care for McCain, but still won't vote for Obama because of his race. I personally know several people who fall into this category. My next door neighbor and my mother are examples. (I'm working on Mom.) People are telling pollsters that this is the case and on some occassions making fools of themselves on TV with their racists remarks.

Do you really deny that this is a factor in this election?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:20 pm
Most say that race factor will not affect their vote: Galliup

However, majorities think the Republicans are going to TRY to make race an issue.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/426/080609Race4_erfvbcs.gif

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
I don't know anyone not voting for Obama because of race. I don't follow pollsters. I am sure a few people say they won't vote for him based on race, but do we know the actual number on election day, or should we care? I have read a few posts on this forum that indicate they are voting FOR Obama, one important reason being race. I consider people that vote based on race as being fairly naive, and I also consider it counter productive to become obsessed with talking about it and magnifying whatever the factor is. In fact, I think the continued stereotyping and racial classification as being one of the main reasons that racial bias continues to persist.

Cyclops has just posted what I think indicates Democrats want race to be an issue, not Republicans, otherwise why the polls constantly?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
I wonder, which part of what I posted proved that?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I wonder, which part of what I posted proved that?

Cycloptichorn

Really? Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:29 pm
Yes, really. Are you confused about part of it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
As a Republican, I haven't seen any polls or been questioned about Obama's race. It only seems to come from the Democratic side, as your poll demonstrates. Okie has pointed this out for you, but you appear too dense to see it as such.

Besides, you also said "most, when it is apparently blacks that believe the Republicans will make race an issue. Expecially considering:

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080609Race3_tyhnmpr.gif
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:41 pm
Lol, I don't think you are very good at reading graphs, Mcg.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/426/080609Race4_erfvbcs.gif

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080609Race3_tyhnmpr.gif

When the white opinion is split pretty much equally, and the black opinion is not split equally, the total of the two added together brings 'most.' In favor of the concept that Republicans are going to run against the Scary Black Man...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:48 pm
Well, in case you don't know, I won't be voting against Obama because of race, and I would not have voted against Clinton because she was a woman. Get over it. And I am tired of Democrats and libs on this forum constantly harping about it. Do you have an obsession or what, or is it a guilt complex?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:49 pm
That's poor logic skills you are demonstrating Cyc.

By your logic then, most also believe majorities think the Democrats are also going to TRY to make race an issue. The numbers are right there in front of you.

Unless, that is, you mean to say that the majority of blacks polled believe the Republicans will try to make it an issue. But, that's not what you said, is it?
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:01 pm
okie wrote:
I don't know anyone not voting for Obama because of race. I don't follow pollsters. I am sure a few people say they won't vote for him based on race, but do we know the actual number on election day, or should we care? I have read a few posts on this forum that indicate they are voting FOR Obama, one important reason being race. I consider people that vote based on race as being fairly naive, and I also consider it counter productive to become obsessed with talking about it and magnifying whatever the factor is. In fact, I think the continued stereotyping and racial classification as being one of the main reasons that racial bias continues to persist.

Cyclops has just posted what I think indicates Democrats want race to be an issue, not Republicans, otherwise why the polls constantly?

Just to be clear okie, I have never thought that you are against Obama due to his race. I think you are against Obama due to his politics and that is how it should be. Since I talk to a lot of anti-war folks, perhaps I am more exposed to a group of people who are the Dem's natural constituency this year. That said, I have met several who will not vote Obama due to race. Is my small sample representative? Perhaps not, but my sample size is big enough for me to say there is a voting bloc voting against Obama due to race. I live in the South and it may not make a difference electorally since there is no difference between losing by 10% or 6%, but I have plenty of observations saying that race is an issue in this election.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:43 pm
http://cagle.com/working/080609/trever.gif
0 Replies

okie

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:18 pm
engineer wrote:
okie wrote:

Just to be clear okie, I have never thought that you are against Obama due to his race. I think you are against Obama due to his politics and that is how it should be. Since I talk to a lot of anti-war folks, perhaps I am more exposed to a group of people who are the Dem's natural constituency this year. That said, I have met several who will not vote Obama due to race. Is my small sample representative? Perhaps not, but my sample size is big enough for me to say there is a voting bloc voting against Obama due to race. I live in the South and it may not make a difference electorally since there is no difference between losing by 10% or 6%, but I have plenty of observations saying that race is an issue in this election.

Fair enough. I am of the opinion that Democrats are more tuned into groups, such as race and gender, and therefore may vote either for or against a candidate based on those characteristics. Many of Clinton's staunchest supporters were women or even radical feminists, and something similar is true for Obama, he got a very very high percentage of the black vote, which is due to not only politics but race. I also think there is a large number of people, perhaps a single digit percentage of people that want to vote for a black simply to have a black president. I don't know if it is due to guilt or what?

In contrast, I find most Republicans or at least conservatives to be independent minded as individuals, and we vote almost entirely based upon political views and perception of leadership ability, as well as character being crucial.

I have also read snood's opinion that electing Obama would be a huge boost to him as a black person because of the validation he would finally feel. I personally find this to be a very sad commentary, that he finds it necessary to have a black president to validate him. If I were him, I would be valid based on my own personal accomplishments, not on whatever everyone else may think or do. And I also would ask him if the selection of Clarence Thomas was a validation, or if he even supported him. I doubt it, and so I think his claim is probably disengenuous. Or would he support a conservative black Republican running for president? I doubt it, and in fact conservative black politicians often face some of the stiffest oppostion from their own race.

I think the continued speculation that if Obama loses, it will be because of race is another setup by race hustlers within the Democratic Party, and I think it serves nothing useful. I also think it only perpetuates the problem that it purports to combat. The sooner we could forget race and run on actual merit and political ability, the sooner the problem can be further minimized.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:39 pm
okie wrote:

I think the continued speculation that if Obama loses, it will be because of race

That's not what Bill said to start this tangent, though... Bill said that he thinks Obama is unlikely to win in a landslide because of race.

Bill still thinks Obama can win (and seems to think that's the more likely outcome).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:43 pm
Quote:

In contrast, I find most Republicans or at least conservatives to be independent minded as individuals, and we vote almost entirely based upon political views and perception of leadership ability, as well as character being crucial.

Hahha, right, right.

You are talking about the group who made it their mission to demonize Muslim and Arab people over the last several years. The group who has harassed those of other sexualities and religions constantly. The group which has exactly zero representatives or congressmen who are Black and very few who are any form of minority in this country.

It's the picture of tolerance and independence. You all just independently happen to be doing and thinking the exact same thing at the same time Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
http://cagle.com/working/080609/trever.gif

Excellent!! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:48 pm
It's too humorous to contemplate; Bush the leader is seen as the baffoon on the world stage, and the majority of Americans, both republicans and democrats, rate him below 30 - as a leader.
0 Replies