revel

Sat 31 May, 2008 07:33 am
Substitute; want with happy and you got an exact quote; so where is the lie?

The problem with the explanation of the 100 year remark is that it's explanation is no better than the statement.

Quote:
"It's not a matter of how long we're in Iraq, it's if we succeed or not," McCain said to CNN's Larry King.

"And both Sen. Obama and Clinton want to set a date for withdrawal -- that means chaos, that means genocide, that means undoing all the success we've achieved and al Qaeda tells the world they defeated the United States of America.

"I won't let that happen."

Last month, at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire, a crowd member asked McCain about a Bush statement that troops could stay in Iraq for 50 years.

"Maybe 100," McCain replied. "As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, it's fine with me and I hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/14/mccain.king/index.html

Quote:
My own view is that McCain's comment, in its most benign formulation, misses the key element here: Islam. One reader helpfully pointed out that occupied Japan also had a fiercely proud populace revolted by foreign troops. Sure: but it had been defeated as a unitary state and its Emperor (which we wisely retained) gave the occcupiers sanction. No such unitary state exists in Iraq; and Islam forbids the rule of infidels in its own heartlands - and Iraq has central religious importance for its various shrines and religious centers in the Muslim mind. Secularism has been in decline for a couple of decades. There is no way an Arab Muslim country will tolerate Western troops permanently based on their land - without constant war and threat of war. To believe otherwise is to engage in a "holiday from reality." We've done enough of that.

The future of a permanently occupied Iraq is less likely to be Japan than the West Bank. And the deeper we are stuck there, the more our predicament will become the awful, morally corrosive, soul-sapping experience of the occupying Israelis.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/04/the-100-years.html

There is already a lot of unease by the leading clerics in Iraq who don't want a long term US presence. We can't just stake out a part of the world and claim it as our own because it suits either our monetary or strategist interest.

http://www.juancole.com/labels/Iraq.html
0 Replies

rabel22

Sat 31 May, 2008 10:01 am
Revel
Where have you been the last 130 years. This has been and is government policy. Look at South America and the Philippines. How do you think we aquired Hawaii.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 31 May, 2008 10:14 am
rabel22 wrote:
Revel
Where have you been the last 130 years. This has been and is government policy. Look at South America and the Philippines. How do you think we aquired Hawaii.

rable, Where have you been the last 50 years? The dynamics of world power, the colonization of foreign lands, and the pros and cons of wars and how they are fought have changed.

Most Iraqis see us as occupiers, not liberators.

Our country is in debt up to our eyeballs, and our currency continues to lose buying power in the world marketplace.

As for Hawaii, you need to study not only its history, but how Hawaiians now think about being Americans.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Sat 31 May, 2008 11:21 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Quote:
John McCain wants to continue George Bush's war in Iraq indefinitely;

This is a flat out lie and it will bite Obama in the ass later. People don't want another liar in office. They had the Clinton experience once.

I look forward to the next Obama gaffe. Shouldn't be long.

Oh really?

McCain plans on staying 'as long as it takes.' What's the operational difference between that, and 'indefinitely?'

It is very literally true; Indefinitely perfectly describes McCain's position. There has been no definition of an end date by him.

Cycloptichorn

Good Lord stop trying to shove your partisan sh*te into a package for regular consumption.

How tough is it to concieve that someone is not irrational for not wanting to declare to our enemy the date upon which we will withdraw our forces?

If you're all for someone who will do so, fine, but either accept that it's fair to judge your position as insane and defeatist or stop trying to cast the opposing position in the same dim light.

I don't care what opinion you hold about the matter. It is of course your right to be as perfectly wrong about things as you please.

But the facts are the facts. McCain has proposed an indefinite stay in Iraq. He hasn't outlined they way in which we will win in Iraq in any way, other then to say 'do what we are doing now.' He has not given any time frame for this to happen in. Therefore, Obama's comments are perfectly accurate and you know it.

And the American people don't want to hear McCain's crap.

Yaknow, the same bunch of you who claimed the war in Iraq was necessary, and had to happen, and that there were wmd there, and things would be wrapped up quick - or at least by now - are the ones saying that we can't leave. What makes you think that your opinion is correct? You (or your side of the argument at least) has been proven to be spectacularly wrong over the last several years. It's the primary reason your party is in the shitter at the moment. And Obama is going to hit McCain over the head with this over, and over, and over this Fall. And so will I and many others here on A2K. So get used to it; you (or your side of the argument) was wrong and is wrong about Iraq. Nobody's looking to you for strategic advice any longer.

And you have nobody to blame but your own incompetent leadership. I lay the blame for a lot of this right at the top.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 31 May, 2008 11:44 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And the American people don't want to hear that crap.

No ... the left wing of the Democratic party doesn't want to hear "that crap." The left wing of the Democratic party wants to tuck tail and run.

And the left wing of the Democratic party does not speak for the American people.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Sat 31 May, 2008 11:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

No ... the left wing of the Democratic party doesn't want to hear "that crap." The left wing of the Democratic party wants to tuck tail and run.

And the left wing of the Democratic party does not speak for the American people.

You missed my update, along with the point and the boat.

You're still completely wrong on this issue, and will lose the election based upon incompetence amongst your party leaders...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Sat 31 May, 2008 12:29 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
My above post was in response to this post by McG.

McGentrix wrote:
Quote:
John McCain wants to continue George Bush's war in Iraq indefinitely;

This is a flat out lie and it will bite Obama in the ass later. People don't want another liar in office. They had the Clinton experience once.

I look forward to the next Obama gaffe. Shouldn't be long.

Who's the liar here?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would claim that McCain is in favor of a definite withdrawal date. This ai alternative reality stuff. Then to accuse Obama of lying by stating McCain's policy? That is beyond the pale.
0 Replies

rabel22

Sat 31 May, 2008 12:33 pm
CI
My point which you seem to have missed is that we have been fighting wars for big business for more than 130 years. Have the dynamics changed over the years. Of course but we are still sacrificing our young for money. Have wars and the way we fight them changed. Of course. We now string out the wars and fight them a little at a time. When one fights a war they should go with overwelming force and involve the whole country in sacrifice instead of a small portion of the population. The Iraq war is about making big business money and it started out as a way to control the oil supply. Bush and his boys, not a racial slur, really blew this one from all sides except in that realized if they went in big the people would have fought them from the start instead of letting things go for 5 years.
0 Replies

revel

Sat 31 May, 2008 12:43 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Sixty-one percent of those polled said the next president should remove most U.S. troops from Iraq "within a few months of taking office."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 31 May, 2008 07:39 pm
As I understand it, after the rather raucus meeting today re the MI and FL primaries delegates, Clinton gains 29 delegates, Not enough to keep Obama from winning the nomination.
Will she withdraw after next Tuesday (when the last primaries are held), or will she fight on?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 31 May, 2008 08:48 pm
She'll fight on to prove women don't quit - even when all evidence shows there's no hope.

I wouldn't want that kind of stubborness in our president - when it comes to personal power grubbing. We need someone with an ability to reason and common sense.
0 Replies

okie

Sat 31 May, 2008 09:49 pm
Rest assured Ms. Clinton is consulting her lawyers, and ?

Interesting, Obama finally quits the church. Just a thought, was this latest stupidity by the guest preacher a setup to give him an excuse or cover to quit the church, so Wright doesn't get blamed, and so on? I have not heard this at all, and this is only a thought of mine after seeing the announcement on the web, and no opinions at all. Only a person of questionable intelligence, or perhaps a motive?----- would say what was said to stimulate the events following.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Sat 31 May, 2008 09:51 pm
okie wrote:
Rest assured Ms. Clinton is consulting her lawyers, and ?

Interesting, Obama finally quits the church. Just a thought, was this latest stupidity by the guest preacher a setup to give him an excuse or cover to quit the church, so Wright doesn't get blamed, and so on? I have not heard this at all, and this is only a thought of mine after seeing the announcement on the web, and no opinions at all. Only a person of questionable intelligence, or perhaps a motive?----- would say what was said to stimulate the events following.

Wow!
0 Replies

okie

Sat 31 May, 2008 09:56 pm
Who knows? I am not making a claim, just speculating on a possibility, based on the proven phoniness of politicians, thats all. The timing would be real nice for Obama to try to put all of that behind him right now, as the campaign begins to get past the point of disposing of Clinton and facing off with McCain. Even if it wasn't a setup, which it probably wasn't, Obama is using the opportunity nicely. An opportunity he chose not to use for 20 years on many previous occasions.

Question, where do these dandies of preachers or priests come from anyway?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 31 May, 2008 09:59 pm
They exist in many neighborhood churches - around the world.
0 Replies

okie

Sat 31 May, 2008 10:03 pm
So people like this are screaming obcenities and hatred about Bush, Clinton, and other chosen targets as part of practicing their religion each week, ci? I think we are in big trouble if these towering examples of virtue are the norm.

At any rate, I am calling it a day, and will check in tomorrow or the next day to see what other people think. I don't really care what Roxi thinks anyway, I guess it it not much more than "wow," whatever that means.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 31 May, 2008 10:16 pm
Here's the video of the news conference statement about Obama's resignation from Trinity Church for anyone who wants to hear it from the man himself and not the filters.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NeAxPDdmCKE

And here's a transcript of the Q&A session regarding that statement. Haven't seen a video of that portion yet.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=41DB29F8-3048-5C12-00A362AF6DC4B6AD
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 31 May, 2008 10:21 pm
And here's the final count on the numbers needed to win the majority and become the presumptive nominee:

Saturday, May 31, 2008
It's 2117.0 to win
With Al Wynn's resignation tomorrow, there will be 823.5 superdelegate votes. There are 3409.5 pledged delegate votes. That's a total of 4233 delegate votes. A majority of those votes is 2,117. If you include Al Wynn, it would be 2,117.5, and the media organizations are rounding up to 2,118.
But the number Obama will be trying to reach on Tuesday is 2,117.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 31 May, 2008 11:04 pm
okie wrote:
So people like this are screaming obcenities and hatred about Bush, Clinton, and other chosen targets as part of practicing their religion each week, ci? I think we are in big trouble if these towering examples of virtue are the norm.

At any rate, I am calling it a day, and will check in tomorrow or the next day to see what other people think. I don't really care what Roxi thinks anyway, I guess it it not much more than "wow," whatever that means.

okie, You must learn to expand your thinking ability; to include not only the local government officials - both elected and not elected, no matter which country. I'm sure you've heard of the Inquisition and other religiously primed "sins" of the church including molestation of children by the priests.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sat 31 May, 2008 11:06 pm
sozobe wrote:

They didn't lie, they didn't make anything up -- they went ahead and drew the press' attention to stuff from third parties (Olbermann). This is substantially different from Hillary's mailers re: his "present" votes on abortion issues in the Illinois State Senate, for example. (Mailers -- he's anti-abortion. Reality -- many of the "present" votes were strategic, and he did so at the request of abortion-rights groups.)

But Hillary isn't running on being above this kind of gotcha politics. Obama attacked others politicians for "gotcha" politics but doesn't refrain from playing the same game. He makes appeals for unity after friction his campaign actively propagated, in this case off of the "gotcha" politics he promises to "change".

Obama will play dirty with the best of them, his short political history is already full of great strategic, and sometimes dirty, moves. And I wish he'd truly take the higher road he professes to because his campaign depends on selling his character and judgment in lieu of experience.
0 Replies