H2O MAN

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:04 am
@H2O MAN,
If only parasite could read, what a dumb ass.
0 Replies

revelette

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:37 am
Quote:
My opinion is, either they go to work, or let the state of Wisconsin find people that want to work to get the job done, don't ya think? With all the unemployed out there, they shouldn't have much trouble finding people that need work and want to work.

I doubt you would find that many people willing to work for government jobs if they are not allowed to bargain for their wages and benefits. One person going against the government is not going to be very successful; which is why unions were formed in the first place. Teachers and mail workers don't get paid very much as it is; why would would anyone be willing to work in a place where you can't even protest low wages and benefits. We already have a shortage of teachers in this country because of low pay for teachers. Moreover, this bill in Wisconsin will not only affect teachers which you guys love to pick on, but many other government workers.

The governor of Wisconsin says this was a move to balance the budget, but I don't get how taking away collective bargaining rights balances any budget. It is just blatant agenda for those against unions being disguised as trying to fix the budget.
H2O MAN

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:09 am
@revelette,

In order for this Republic to survive government unions need to be busted.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:51 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

parados wrote:
So okie, do you think people should be able to bargain with their employer when it comes to wages, benefits, and vacations?
As individuals, yes. In fact, I have done so. Its called freedom. But the employer should also have freedom. It is a two way street. I might even consider the validity of unions working for private enterprise, if the unions do not resort to thuggery, but I believe public sector or government employees are a different matter. The pay and benefits should be openly identified, and the prospective employees can decide whether they want to work or not. This is supposed to be a free country, and so government employment should not be ruled by union dictators.

Neither should it be ruled by ideological-freak administrations, who want to take a giant axe to everything but their own salaries and budgets.

The right to assemble and self-organize is a fundamental right of America. There's nothing wrong with the concept of public employment unions at all.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the concept of public employment unions at all.

Only the delusional think there is nothing wrong and evil with the concept of government unions.
0 Replies

okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Quote:
As individuals, yes. In fact, I have done so. Its called freedom. But the employer should also have freedom. It is a two way street.
So is it a 2 way street if the employer can deny the employee the ability to bargain? What if the employer could use the government to force the employee to take whatever the employer offers? Would that be freedom?
This is not a case of the government forcing an employee to take whatever is offered. The employee is free to go work someplace else if they don't like the offer. Neither should the government or the taxpayers be forced to pay the employees whatever they demand. As I said, this is a two way street. Similar to marriage, it takes the agreement of both parties to the agreement. No need to make it more complicated than it should be.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:18 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

parados wrote:
Quote:
As individuals, yes. In fact, I have done so. Its called freedom. But the employer should also have freedom. It is a two way street.
So is it a 2 way street if the employer can deny the employee the ability to bargain? What if the employer could use the government to force the employee to take whatever the employer offers? Would that be freedom?
This is not a case of the government forcing an employee to take whatever is offered. The employee is free to go work someplace else if they don't like the offer. Neither should the government or the taxpayers be forced to pay the employees whatever they demand. As I said, this is a two way street. Similar to marriage, it takes the agreement of both parties to the agreement. No need to make it more complicated than it should be.

I guess by your logic you'd agree that our government doesn't 'force' you to do anything. After all, you could always just leave the country if you don't like it, right?

Next time you are bitching about the mandate or anything the Dems have done, I'll remind you that you're always welcome to quit living here. Would you find that to be a reasonable response to your concerns?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I guess by your logic you'd agree that our government doesn't 'force' you to do anything. After all, you could always just leave the country if you don't like it, right?

Next time you are bitching about the mandate or anything the Dems have done, I'll remind you that you're always welcome to quit living here. Would you find that to be a reasonable response to your concerns?

Cycloptichorn
Good grief, cyclops, the government is not forcing any civilian to work for them. Are you out of your mind? Do you have any ability to think logically? Seriously, I am being sarcastic, but you libs make no sense.

Jobs are different than paying taxes. The government does force us to pay taxes for example, or at least if we do not, we are subject to being prosecuted for it. We have all kinds of laws that we are forced to abide by so to speak, but taking a civilian government job is not one of them.

Under your logic, should the military be unionized? Do you realize how silly you have become?
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:26 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
Good grief, cyclops, the government is not forcing any civilian to work for them. Are you out of your mind? Do you have any ability to think logically? Seriously, I am being sarcastic, but you libs make no sense.

Wait a tick - you and Ican accuse the Dems of 'ramming things down your throat' and 'stealing your money through taxation' and stuff like that all the time.

Quote:
Jobs are different than paying taxes. The government does force us to pay taxes for example, or at least if we do not, we are subject to being prosecuted for it. We have all kinds of laws that we are forced to abide by so to speak, but taking a civilian government job is not one of them.

Under you logic, should the military be unionized? Do you realize how silly you have become?

What you have written here has nothing to do with anything I wrote OR the conversation at hand, at all.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Wait a tick - you and Ican accuse the Dems of 'ramming things down your throat' and 'stealing your money through taxation' and stuff like that all the time.
Nobody is forcing you to work for the State of California. Go get a different job if you don't like all the perks you have now, which apparently includes the use of government computers to post your opinions here.
Quote:
What you have written here has nothing to do with anything I wrote OR the conversation at hand, at all.
Cycloptichorn
It has everything to do with it. If you have any ability to reason, the points should be obvious. In short, the taxpayers are fed up with government telling them every move they can make, including even making taxpayers cowtow to their unions of government workers.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:37 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nobody is forcing you to work for the State of California. Go get a different job if you don't like all the perks you have now, which apparently includes the use of government computers to post your opinions here.

I like my job just fine. But, I must say that once again, you didn't actually respond to what I wrote. You don't seem to be capable of playing defense when it comes to your posts or opinions at all.

Quote:
Quote:
Cycloptichorn
It has everything to do with it. If you have any ability to reason, the points should be obvious.

You don't know what is obvious or what is not. I think that's been pretty clearly established. You just sort of make things up as you go because they 'sound good' to you. And then when you're called on factual inaccuracies, you turn to attacking the other person rather than examining the errors in your own account. Not impressive.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are niggling about the points, cyclops, to avoid facing the truth.

Questions:
Should the government civilian employees be able to unionize to browbeat the taxpayers into giving them whatever they demand?
If so, should the military servicemen be able to unionize too?
Should taxpayers through their elected officials have the ability to determine pay scales and benefits for government employees?
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:43 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Questions:
Should the government civilian employees be able to unionize to browbeat the taxpayers into giving them whatever they demand?

What do you mean 'browbeat?' They can negotiate with management the way that any other union does. That's clearly legal and the right to self-organize is a fundamental one in our society.

Quote:
If so, should the military servicemen be able to unionize?

No, because members of the military don't enjoy the same rights as private citizens do. It's part of the agreement they sign when they enroll in the military. But, you knew that when you wrote this.

Quote:
Should taxpayers have the ability to hire whomever they please to do the work their government is mandated to do?

Only by electing officials to act as their servants. Taxpayers have no direct say and no right at all to have a direct say as to who and who doesn't get hired in non-elected positions.

This is fundamental stuff about our society, Okie.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Questions:
What do you mean 'browbeat?' They can negotiate with management the way that any other union does. That's clearly legal and the right to self-organize is a fundamental one in our society.
Quote:
No, because members of the military don't enjoy the same rights as private citizens do. It's part of the agreement they sign when they enroll in the military. But, you knew that when you wrote this.
Bingo!!! So do civilian employees agree to the terms when they take a job. I see no difference actually. The only difference is what job the government has given them to do, and many civilian jobs are to do the peoples work and serve us, the taxpayers, just as the military is doing the peoples work by protecting us.
Quote:
Quote:
Should taxpayers have the ability to hire whomever they please to do the work their government is mandated to do?
Only by electing officials to act as their servants. Taxpayers have no direct say and no right at all to have a direct say as to who and who doesn't get hired in non-elected positions.
Cycloptichorn
Yes, it is fundamental, and as the article I posted earlier, the situation in Wisconsin is a classic case of the government bureaucracies and their employees' special interests colliding with the interests of the people that are supposed to be able to self determine through our elected officials how our tax money is spent to serve us. Maybe you have not caught on, but the people are fed up with government bureaucracies and government employees that have forgotten who they should be working for. I would advise you to watch what happens in Wisconsin very closely, because you could learn some things.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:05 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Questions:
Quote:
Bingo!!! So do civilian employees agree to the terms when they take a job. I see no difference actually.

What terms?!?!? You just made that up. I haven't seen any evidence that civilians in these jobs signed anything that disallows their right to self-organize.

Provide evidence of this agreement if you want your argument to be

Quote:
The only difference is what job the government has given them to do, and many civilian jobs are to do the peoples work and serve us, the taxpayers, just as the military is doing the peoples work by protecting us.

Totally different. Military members don't have access to civilian courts, even; they have a whole different justice system. Your analogy, as usual, stinks!

Quote:
Quote:
Cycloptichorn
Yes, it is fundamental, and as the article I posted earlier, the situation in Wisconsin is a classic case of the government and its employees special interests colliding with the interests of the people that are supposed to be able to self determine through our elected officials how our tax money is spent to serve us. Maybe you have not caught on, but the people are fed up with government bureaucracies and government employees that have forgotten who they should be working for. I would advise you to watch what happens in Wisconsin very closely, because you could learn some things.
[/quote][/quote]

Oh, I think we are indeed learning something. But I don't think it's going to be the lesson you had in mind.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What terms?!?!? You just made that up. I haven't seen any evidence that civilians in these jobs signed anything that disallows their right to self-organize.
Surely there are pre-agreed terms of payment and benefits. Perhaps those terms do not disallow the right to belong to a union, but I am asserting here that perhaps those terms should do that? I think we need to take another look at that. I have posted the information about JFK's executive order that opened the door to unionized civilian government employees, and the results have not been positive in my opinion. I believe that we as taxpayers through our elected officials should have the right to hire according to the pay and benefits we determine, not to be re-negotiated all the time.

Quote:
Provide evidence of this agreement if you want your argument to be
Quote:
The only difference is what job the government has given them to do, and many civilian jobs are to do the peoples work and serve us, the taxpayers, just as the military is doing the peoples work by protecting us.
Totally different. Military members don't have access to civilian courts, even; they have a whole different justice system. Your analogy, as usual, stinks!
I think it is a good analogy. Sorry I do not agree with every liberal idea here. Nor do a huge segment of Americans agree with you, cyclops. Perhaps you need to wake up to that?

Quote:
Quote:
Cycloptichorn
Yes, that is what has happened in Wisconsin, the voters elected a governor to clean up the mess.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it is fundamental, and as the article I posted earlier, the situation in Wisconsin is a classic case of the government and its employees special interests colliding with the interests of the people that are supposed to be able to self determine through our elected officials how our tax money is spent to serve us. Maybe you have not caught on, but the people are fed up with government bureaucracies and government employees that have forgotten who they should be working for. I would advise you to watch what happens in Wisconsin very closely, because you could learn some things.

Oh, I think we are indeed learning something. But I don't think it's going to be the lesson you had in mind.
Cycloptichorn
I hope the taxpayers win, cyclops. Where do you stand? Do you want the government to be by the people and for the people, or do you want the inmates to continue to run the asylum?
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Surely there are pre-agreed terms of payment and benefits. Perhaps those terms do not disallow the right to belong to a union, but I am asserting here that perhaps those terms should do that? I think we need to take another look at that.

Why? The right to self-organize is fundamental to our society. Why do you seek to deny these people their freedoms, Okie?

Quote:
I have posted the information about JFK's executive order that opened the door to unionized civilian government employees, and the results have not been positive in my opinion. I believe that we as taxpayers through our elected officials should have the right to hire according to the pay and benefits we determine, not to be re-negotiated all the time.

Sure, but you also believe in maximizing profits at the expense of everything else, so why should I take your beliefs seriously? This is right in line with your 'pro-big business, screw workers, screw the environment, and screw our country' mantra that Republicans have been pushing forever.

Quote:
Provide evidence of this agreement if you want your argument to be [taken seriously]
Quote:
Quote:
I think it is a good analogy. Sorry I do not agree with every liberal idea here. Nor do a huge segment of Americans agree with you, cyclops. Perhaps you need to wake up to that?

You think it's a good analogy for the same reason you think your other analogies are good: you're not good at creating or using analogies.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Cycloptichorn
Yes, that is what has happened in Wisconsin, the voters elected a governor to clean up the mess.
Quote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn
I hope the taxpayers win, cyclops. Where do you stand? Do you want the government to be by the people and for the people, or do you want the inmates to continue to run the asylum?

I disagree with your entire position. It's not one based on fact or logic, but instead on an ideology; one that trashes people who work to serve the public at large, and promotes the greediest. I can't support that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I agree with some of that. Unfortunately the laws in many states give labor unions monopolistic control over representing employees (and negotiating with employers, and forcibly collecting dues from all employees, including those who may not wish to pay them). For most of our history governments at all levels held that their civil service rules preempted the need and rationalization for granting such union monopolies to public service workers. Indeed strikes by public sector unions remain, in some cases illegal.

A duly constituded democratic process is underway in Wisconsin to reconsider the state's laws with respect to public service labor unions. The duly elected representitives of the people to whom you referred have convened to consider proposed changes in thos laws. Inspired by the organized activity of union thugs the Democrat legislators have knowingly evaded their legal responsibilities by leaving the state to prevent the state Senate from meeting its quorum rules and acting. In effect, this is a strike by a minority of the elected legislators - something they have no legal right to do.

I believe this event will backfire badly on the public sector labor unions and their paid Democrat toadies. It has benome increasingly clear to a growing number of people that many of their elected legislators are in the pockets of the public sector employee unions and that gross financial abuses of public treasuries have occurred. Now we have public sector unions striking and agitating for the rest of us to pay whatever taxes are required to fund the sweetheard deals theyu have cut with their paid hacks in state legislatures. Given the apparent trends in public attitudes, I can see only one outcome here - less unionization in the public sector and an increase in the number of states with right-to-work laws.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:37 pm
@georgeob1,
I disagree with your perjorative term 'union thugs.' They are no different than anyone else who wants to protect themselves from draconian action by elected officials.

Do you think the recent spate of tea partiers were also 'thugs?' They did everything the could to block and protest the actions of duly elected officials. I seem to recall a great deal of support from you for that group of citizens expressing their opinion. That doesn't seem consistent with this.

Quote:

I believe this event will backfire badly on the public sector labor unions and their paid Democrat toadies.

As I said to Okie earlier - I believe that you have this completely backward. There will be a backfiring on this, but it is much more likely to affect Gov. Walker and the Republicans than it is the teachers' union.
Quote:

It has benome increasingly clear to a growing number of people that many of their elected legislators are in the pockets of the public sector employee unions and that gross financial abuses of public treasuries have occurred.

This is the sort of evidence-free statement you love to make. Increasingly clear to who? You? This is the opinion Republicans have ALWAYS held. And you have no data showing that increasing groups of Americans as a whole believe what you say. You're just projecting your own opinions - again.

Quote:
Now we have public sector unions striking and agitating for the rest of us to pay whatever taxes are required to fund the sweetheard deals theyu have cut with their paid hacks in state legislatures. Given the apparent trends in public attitudes, I can see only one outcome here - less unionization in the public sector and an increase in the number of states with right-to-work laws.

What you mean is that you HOPE that will be the outcome. I wouldn't be on it if I were you.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
@okie,
Quote:
This is not a case of the government forcing an employee to take whatever is offered. The employee is free to go work someplace else if they don't like the offer. Neither should the government or the taxpayers be forced to pay the employees whatever they demand.

This is a case of the government eliminating a contract that has been negotiated. In the real world that would be illegal for an employer to do without bankruptcy. The unions have already said they would make concessions if asked. They are not being asked. They are being told.

Quote:
Similar to marriage, it takes the agreement of both parties to the agreement. No need to make it more complicated than it should be.
It seems you want to make it more complicated than it is by pretending that the unions are not being forced. You want to pretend that somehow they have a choice. If this is possible for workers than it is possible for the government to do it to taxpayers as well.
0 Replies