cicerone imposter

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:18 pm
@ican711nm,
You sure that's not from "marble brains, Texas?"
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:33 pm
Apropos to nothing, one of sites I monitor has a feature called "Quotes of the Week" from the political sphere. Many are bloopers or indecipherable musings from politicians.
The one that caught my ear came from former Senator Alan Simpson (R-Wy) who was co-chair of the deficit reduction commission. He was referring to the negligible impact of the ideas being put forward thus far.
"A sparrow's belch in the midst of a typhoon."
okie

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
There is currently not enough political inertia to do significant things in terms of cutting the budget, such as rolling back budgets or simply eliminating bureaucracies. The Democrats will accuse conservatives of trying to starve or kill old people and children. It has gotten to the point that unless schools feed the children 24/7, it is cruel to the parents. That is how bizarre the current Democratic Party has become.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:32 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
The Democrats will accuse conservatives of trying to starve or kill old people and children.

You mean to say that this isn't true?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
The Democrats will accuse conservatives of trying to starve or kill old people and children.

You mean to say that this isn't true?
Cycloptichorn
You provide living proof of the demagoguery practiced nowadays as standard procedure by Democrats, cyclops.
Back in the old days, we somehow managed to fix meals for the children. Apparently that must be a foreign concept for you and fellow liberals now?

This is a great demonstation of the quote I now have at the bottom of my posts, indicating that responsibility comes with freedom.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:05 pm
@okie,
I'm just jokin around with ya, Okie, relax

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, at least you're not asserting that okie has no human value.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm just jokin around with ya, Okie, relax
Cycloptichorn
Yes, thats very funny "jokin," cyclops. Why am I not laughing really hard?
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:14 pm
@okie,
Quote:
indicating that responsibility comes with freedom.

You really love spouting those memes, doncha, Okie? But when push comes to shove, you suddenly don't believe in them. Why not hold those government officials responsible for committing crimes responsible?
okie

Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:57 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Quote:
indicating that responsibility comes with freedom.
You really love spouting those memes, doncha, Okie? But when push comes to shove, you suddenly don't believe in them. Why not hold those government officials responsible for committing crimes responsible?
I'm ready to start. One qualification, it needs to be real crimes, not just some imagination in your head, JTT. How about Fannie and Freddie officials first up? After all, they are a pretty big reason for the financial meltdown, right? Where is the president and Congress on this, JTT?
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:07 am
@H2O MAN,
Too many innocent people have been killed by the poisonous products of American industry.
JTT

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 01:15 am
@okie,
Pikers, Okie, but please do describe the laws that have been broken and by who.
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:43 am

George W cancels trip to Switzerland because he might be charged with torture when he gets there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/feb/08/torture-george-bush
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 06:36 am
@plainoldme,
Too many?

What's your 'just right' number of dead?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 06:38 am
Thank God there won't be an "Obama '12?" thread
0 Replies

parados

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:18 am
@okie,
Quote:
One qualification, it needs to be real crimes, not just some imagination in your head, JTT. How about Fannie and Freddie officials first up? After all, they are a pretty big reason for the financial meltdown, right?

That's funny stuff okie.
So JTT has to deal with reality but you don't?
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:35 am
@parados,
I thought the financial melt down had its roots in the move by the captains of industry, aka the top 1 %, to seize the bulk of American wages beginning in the late 1970s, which flowered with the invention of the no doc and sub-prime mortgage styles.
0 Replies

revelette

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:47 am
@okie,
The following is a pretty good article on the situations which led to the meltdown. All in all, it was a bad decision to reverse the Glass-Steagall Act. However, it was the banks who acted irresponsible by making those loans just to sell them to make a profit.

Financial Meltdown 101

The difference in the Bush administration thinking the Geneva Convention rules quaint and trying to circumvent them any way they could which led to "harsh techniques" is different because it involves the lives and rights of humane rights of detainees. You may not think that important, but it affects our standing in the world and also sets bad precedents and even puts our own soldiers at risk. Not to mention just being plain wrong.
plainoldme

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:53 am
@revelette,
Exactly!
0 Replies

okie

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:56 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

The following is a pretty good article on the situations which led to the meltdown. All in all, it was a bad decision to reverse the Glass-Steagall Act. However, it was the banks who acted irresponsible by making those loans just to sell them to make a profit.
The point is, who is to blame, the people buying bad loans or the people selling them? If the government began buying every auto loan in this country, without regard to the soundness of the car, the loan, or the ability of the people to pay off their loan, what do you think would happen to the auto sales industry and all of the auto loans in this country? I know that might be a very tough question for you, revelette, but I think just an ounce of common sense and a very basic understanding of human nature and economics would help you answer it very easily. Give it a try, and perhaps it will help you understand what happened with the housing market.