realjohnboy

Sat 15 Jan, 2011 05:31 pm
Yeah, it is kind of silly, Okie.
The split between Repubs and Dems in Congress (House & Senate) is not all that great given that there are 535 total members.
I think that this idea may get some legs due to the fact that the polls show that something like 70% of Americans have little respect for Congress. I would have to dredge up some polling data on that, so don't quote me.
They need an image change.
okie

Sat 15 Jan, 2011 05:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for understanding my opinion, rjb. Since the numbers are not all that lopsided, it might be politically smart to take up the Dem's offer on this. The thing I still fear though is the insinuation that disagreement or partisan politics are somehow bad or dangerous and a cause of violence, in some Democrats' effort to use this gun violence as a backdrop for that reasoning. The fact remains that disagreement and party distinctions are important and should not be hidden or glossed over. Disagreement and party differences are not correlative to violence and there should be no link or relationship drawn between the two.

Whether the Republicans agree to this or not, either way, when they announce the decision, they should make a big deal out of the fact that parties and disagreement are healthy and necessary, and in no way are party identifications related to the violence in Arizona. They should also make it clear that this unrelated event in Arizona will not deter them from standing for what they believe to be right in Congress, and that intimidations and false accusations by the Democrats are not going to stop them from opposing bad policies and from favoring good ones.
realjohnboy

Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:04 pm
@okie,
Yeah. It was perhaps Will Rogers or Mark Twain (or someone else) who made a quip about not wanting to see how sausage or laws are made.
I have no problem with the often fierce debates that go on in the trenches of Congress. But does that division really need to be politicized during a President's (any President's) State of the Union address?
0 Replies

revelette

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:20 pm
@okie,
As much as I am aware, no democrat has said disagreements or even heated disagreements incites violence. What they have said and remains true is that words which have implications of violence can lead to violence.
revelette

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm
The following is good news. IMO

AP-GfK Poll: Opposition to health care law eases

Quote:
WASHINGTON – As lawmakers shaken by the shooting of a colleague return to the health care debate, an Associated Press-GfK poll finds raw feelings over President Barack Obama's overhaul have subsided.

Ahead of a vote on repeal in the GOP-led House this week, strong opposition to the law stands at 30 percent, close to the lowest level registered in AP-GfK surveys dating to September 2009.

The nation is divided over the law, but the strength and intensity of the opposition appear diminished. The law expands coverage to more than 30 million uninsured, and would require, for the first time, that most people in the United States carry health insurance.

The poll finds that 40 percent of those surveyed said they support the law, while 41 percent oppose it. Just after the November congressional elections, opposition stood at 47 percent and support was 38 percent.

As for repeal, only about one in four say they want to do away with the law completely. Among Republicans support for repeal has dropped sharply, from 61 percent after the elections to 49 percent now.

Also, 43 percent say they want the law changed so it does more to re-engineer the health care system. Fewer than one in five say it should be left as it is.

"Overall, it didn't go as far as I would have liked," said Joshua Smith, 46, a sales consultant to manufacturers who lives in Herndon, Va. "In a perfect world, I'd like to see them change it to make it more encompassing, but judging by how hard it was to get it passed, they had to take whatever they could get."

(more at the link)
0 Replies

okie

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:50 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
As much as I am aware, no democrat has said disagreements or even heated disagreements incites violence. What they have said and remains true is that words which have implications of violence can lead to violence.
So where does that leave some Democrats with their rhetoric, even Obama himself suggesting that we are enemies and to get in our face, him talking about his opposition, and if Republicans bring a knife, they should bring a gun? And should Obama tell the press to tone down their unwarranted and unfounded speculations that almost always turn out to be totally false and untrue. For example, remember the Census worker that the press accused anti-big government sentiment on, but it turned out that he hung himself ? That is but one of numerous examples of kneejerk liberal demagoguery.
JTT

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:19 pm
@okie,
Quote:
For example, remember the Census worker that the press accused anti-big government sentiment on, but it turned out that he hung himself ? That is but one of numerous examples of kneejerk liberal demagoguery.

No, do you, or have to just made it up, Okie?
okie

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:58 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Quote:
For example, remember the Census worker that the press accused anti-big government sentiment on, but it turned out that he hung himself ? That is but one of numerous examples of kneejerk liberal demagoguery.
No, do you, or have to just made it up, Okie?
Of course I did not make it up. You are apparently very uninformed, JTT. Do you follow factual news? Here are a couple of links I recommend for your reading. One is about the Census worker, and the other is a Michelle Malkin article that summarizes many similar happenings including the Census worker case in the last two years, regarding the standard liberal knee jerk reaction to blame conservatives. In her article, she points out how every accusation turns out to be wrong in her numerous examples.
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/census_worker_hanged_himself_i.html
http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/2011/01/14/malkin-blame-righty-a-condensed-history/
"Malkin: Blame Righty, A Condensed History"
plainoldme

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:20 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
Leftist Liberals think legitimizing the stealing of wealth others

I cut off your boring and tired saw to tell you that you need to listen to conservative Andrew Bacevich:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/16/132935716/eisenhowers-warning-still-challenges-the-nation

Bacevich distills Eisenhower's most famous speech as a warning on how the Dept. of Defense steals from American citizens.
plainoldme

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:22 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Unfortunately, the press is biased toward Democrats

Can you say paranoid, boys and girls?
0 Replies

okie

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Did you read in the article where it pointed out that defense spending as a percentage of gdp is much lower today than it was when Ike left office? You also need to remember Eisenhower was a firm believer in national defense and an avid opponent of communism. Do you not think that he would be highly in favor of the war on terror? Eisenhower was a staunch conservative and would probably have been much more in agreement with today's conservative agenda than that of liberalism today. I think his primary suspicion of the military industrial complex was a result of his basic distrust of big government. I agree with the man on that, but I am very much doubtful that he would have advocated disarmament or other policies favored by ultra leftists.

It is an open question about where Eisenhower would stand in regard to Iraq and Afghanistan. We do not know if he would have favored them or not, and frankly I share the same questions about their validity.
plainoldme

Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:36 pm
@okie,
I need to remember nothing and you need to not tell me that.
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
@plainoldme,
Spoken like a smug liberal
plainoldme

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:13 am
@H2O MAN,
Spoken like an educated person, a state of being that you are totally unfamiliar with.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:53 pm
Quote:

http://jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby110509.php3
The public's best option: Less government, more choice

By Jeff Jacoby
"My guiding principle is and always has been that consumers do better when there is choice and competition." So said President Obama in his address to Congress on health care, making an argument for a government-run "public option" to sell health insurance that many Democrats have echoed.

In 34 states, Obama noted, three-fourths of the insurance market is controlled by five or fewer companies. "Without competition, the price of insurance goes up and the quality goes down." But add a public option "administered by the government just like Medicaid or Medicare," he said, and competition would revive.

No, it wouldn't.

A government-run health insurer would radically tilt the health-insurance playing field. It would amount to a new entitlement program, able to undercut the price of private insurance by squeezing hospitals and doctors, reimbursing them at below-market rates. "Just like Medicaid and Medicare," which also underpay medical providers, the public option would force hospitals and doctors to charge private insurers more. Those insurers, in turn, would be compelled to raise their premiums, eventually losing millions of customers to the government plan.

Obama and other Democrats insist that any public option would have to be self-supporting, properly balancing its premiums and risk and not expecting the government to cover its losses. Sound familiar? The same assurances were made about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"I have no interest in putting insurance companies out of business," the president insists now. As a US Senate candidate in 2003, he sang a different tune: "I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care program. . . . But as all of you know, we may not get there immediately." Has he changed his mind? Or only his talking points?

More competition among health insurers is a consummation devoutly to be wished. But there are far better ways to get there than a public option.

Here are three:

• Tear down the barriers to buying health insurance across state lines. Under federal law, states are permitted to regulate "the business of insurance" as they see fit, and most of them have seen fit to allow the sale only of insurance policies licensed by their own state insurance commissions. As a consequence, there is no competitive national market for health insurance; there are 50 state markets instead, most of which are dominated by a handful of insurers. This, says Michael Cannon of the Cato Institute, is the "original sin" of health insurance regulation.

When it comes to almost any other product or service, Americans would find a ban on interstate commerce and competition intolerable: Imagine being told that you could buy a car or a computer only if it was manufactured in your state. Consumers in the market for a mortgage are free to do business with an out-of-state lender; those in the market for health insurance should be equally free to do business with an out-of-state insurer.

• Repeal mandatory benefits that make health insurance needlessly expensive. Compounding the lack of interstate competition is the way states drive up the cost of health insurance by making certain types of coverage compulsory. Consumers and insurers should be free to work out for themselves just how comprehensive or limited a policy should be. But state mandates prevent such flexibility by requiring insurance companies to sell a fixed array of benefits that many customers may not want. Individuals seeking plain-vanilla health insurance — a policy that will cover them, say, in case of major surgery or catastrophic illness — may find themselves forced to pay for a policy that also covers acupuncture, in vitro fertilization, alcoholism therapy, and a dozen additional treatments.

When compulsion takes the place of competition, the result is invariably less choice at higher cost.

• De-link health insurance from employment. Nothing distorts America's health insurance market like the misbegotten tax preference for employer-sponsored health insurance. Until that preference is removed, tens of millions of Americans will continue to rely on their employers' health plan instead of buying health insurance for themselves, they way they buy every other type of insurance. Fix the tax code, and no longer could insurance companies routinely bypass employees and deal only with their employers. Instead there would be intensive competition for individual customers — and the lower premiums such competition would yield.

Yes, Mr. President, consumers do benefit from choice and competition. The key to both is not more government regulation and control, but less.

H2O MAN

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
PrezBO's approval rating continues to slide.
realjohnboy

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 03:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
Would you consider posting your sources for that claim? Thanks.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 03:07 pm
@ican711nm,
jeff jacoby is able to write for the Boston Globe because of a sort of Conservative twist on affirmative action. One of the few liberal news outlets in the country, the Globe gives the right equal time in the form of the basically unpopular jacoby.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Of course I did not make it up. You are apparently very uninformed, JTT. Do you follow factual news?

That's hilarious, Okie, to suggest that by missing out on Michelle Malkin, one is uniformed. You read her, or at least you suggest you do, [probably another fabrication of convenience; do you actually read her regularly, Okie?] and you're one of the most uninformed people I've come across.

That's a highly descriptive website name for the Repubs; Go Pus A.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:14 pm
We shouldn't all hold our breath waiting for H2O Man to source his claim about President Obama's approval rating. It ain't going to happen.
I am a bit of a polling junkie.
Below, from Real Clear Politics, are the results from 7 pollsters from the last week or so. Following that are results from the same pollsters from around a couple of months ago.
In our previous discussions I think we agreed that it is not appropriate to compare one poll to another. There are too many variables involving who gets called and how the questions are worded. Rather, we need to look at the movement within each poll.
Gallup (1/16- A*): +6 (12/13: -6)
Rasmussen (1/16- LV*): -7 (12/13: -5**)
Quinnipiac (1/11- RV*): +4 (11/15: -5)
Reuters/Ipsos (1/10 A*): +3 (12/5: -1)
McClatchy/Marist (1/10 RV*) +5 (12/8: -8)
AP/Gfk (1/10 A*): +7 (11/22: tie)
Pew Research (1/9 A*): +2 (12/15: +2)

Fox (12/15 RV): -11 (10/28: -9)

* A = Adults; RV = Registered Voters; LV= Likely Voters
** Rasmussen features the response to Strongly Approve vs Strongly Disapprove. You have to dig a bit to get simply Approve vs Disapprove.

My posts can cure insomnia, eh?
0 Replies