DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 12:19 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
recognize and delimit yourself from the outright crazies - and since you mention the tea parties, I think that's where those failed too.

i figure if you can afford to spend a wad of cash on a detail accurate reproduction of colonial garments, or a revolutionary war uniform... uh, you probably are not being over taxed.

and nobody in america is being taxed without representation. that's what the tea party was about. "no taxation without representation", not "no taxation".

and another thing... i don't like those crazy people using my flag at their clambake, either.

http://www.westburlingtoncity.com/media/DSC_2971web.jpg

DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 12:21 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
The pot should be wary of accusing the kettle I think.
are you implying that the kettle is white? If not, does the colour of the pot denote anything about the colour of the kettle?

our pots are green around here.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 12:22 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
At least they were spending their own money. And not claiming virtue, concern, compassion, or nobility by taking and spending somebody else's.
DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 12:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

At least they were spending their own money. And not claiming virtue, concern, compassion, or nobility by taking and spending somebody else's.

this claim is become really tiresome.

you have never shown an ounce of concern over the government spending my tax money on things that you know i disagree with; faith based initiatives and unneeded military expeditions in iraq, billion dollar tax breaks to exxon/mobile, etc.

you know that my wife and i don't have kids. have you ever once said anything along the lines of, "gee dtom, i think it sucks that you have to pay towards educating someone else's kids when you don't have any." ?

no. you haven't

and you haven't heard me complain about it either; in contrast to the teapers non-stop whining about how "i shouldn't have to pay for (fill in the blank), just because some liberal wants... blah, blah,blah..."

as american citizens, those guys have a right to assemble, speak and make fools of themselves. and certainly have availed themselves of that right often enough. but when i look at them, all i see is abby hoffman and the yippies talking so seriously about levitating the pentagon.
Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 01:10 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I think it is tiresome to constantly malign, disparage, and call fools those who are exercising their Constitutionally protected right to peacefully express their convictions about what government should be. They were not demanding anything from you, not requesting anything of you other than your non interference. Their requests wouldn't have cost you a dime and, should they prevail in accomplishing their goals, would likely save you a bundle.

Not once have I made any inference as to your lifestyle or presumed to judge you for your opinion or what you think should be the rightful duty and responsibility of government. Nor were they doing that.

But the fact is, the Left often does profess it to be virtue to take what Citizen A legally and ethically acquired and give it to Citizen B for whatever reason. Obama's now famous pronouncement of 'spread the wealth around' could be a phrase from the modern liberal bible of what government should be about.

The Tea Parties were a peaceful protest of a government that has become far too large, too intrusive, too expensive, and too contrary to the principles upon which this country was founded. You can and presumably do trust the Keynesian theory that the government can spend itself rich and is the best vehicle to solve all of societies' problems. The Tea Party participants don't believe that to be possible and believe it will be destructive to the country to try.

Do you honestly see their point of view as so terrible? Or are you unable to accept it for what it is and, like so many liberals, must trash and humiliate and discredit any who express such a point of view?

ehBeth

Mon 18 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
The Tea Parties were a peaceful protest of a government that has become far too large, too intrusive, too expensive, and too contrary to the principles upon which this country was founded.

It would have been more believable as to purpose if they'd been happening regularly over the past twenty years. Hard to believe that Americans just noticed in the past couple of months that their government had exploded in size and spending.
Debra Law

Mon 18 May, 2009 02:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

nimh, Excellent post; I agree whole-heartedly.

Admirable posts! Kudos to nimh!
DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 02:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Not once have I made any inference as to your lifestyle or presumed to judge you for your opinion or what you think should be the rightful duty and responsibility of government. Nor were they doing that.

oh? this was.... what?

[quote="Foxfyre"]
[/quote]

sounds like making a judgement to me.

[quote="Foxfyre"]Do you honestly see their point of view as so terrible? Or are you unable to accept it for what it is and, like so many liberals, must trash and humiliate and discredit any who express such a point of view?
[/quote]

yes, i do see their pov as a detrimental to keeping america financed well enough to stay strong and grow, without borrowing trillions of dollars from our frakkin' enemies. please explain to me how doing just that has done anything good for america?

sure you and others can sell it, but i'm not buying it.
DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 02:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
The Tea Parties were a peaceful protest of a government that has become far too large, too intrusive, too expensive, and too contrary to the principles upon which this country was founded.

It would have been more believable as to purpose if they'd been happening regularly over the past twenty years. Hard to believe that Americans just noticed in the past couple of months that their government had exploded in size and spending.

hah. "don't do as i do, do as i say."
McGentrix

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:18 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
All things being equal, would you really be rallying behind a Republican that was proposing the debt Obama is?
Cycloptichorn

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:34 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

All things being equal, would you really be rallying behind a Republican that was proposing the debt Obama is?

You guys did; what do you think Medicare part D costs America?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:35 pm
@McGentrix,
colour
optics also spelled color
Main

the aspect of any object that may be described in terms of hue, lightness, and saturation. In physics, colour is associated specifically with electromagnetic radiation of a certain range of wavelengths visible to the human eye. Radiation of such wavelengths constitutes that portion of the electromagnetic spectrum known as the visible spectrum"i.e., light.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Americans have been far too trusting of their government which is something the Founders warned us about but that, among other things, sort of got shoved into the background and out of sight for a long time. We're also a pretty agreeable, peaceful, and optimistic lot and as long as we don't see problems right under our noses, most of us can pretty well ignore them. But its just like having a roach in the house. One is a problem. A few more are yucky but we can squirt them with bug spray and pretend they're all gone. But one night you turn on the light in a room and they're scattering everywhere, and you know you can't ignore it any longer. It's time to call the exterminators.

Bad government creeps up on us in much the same way. Okay a little lie here and there and what harm is really done? A politician here or there is caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but most aren't so it isn't a huge problem. Okay we lost one little right, but there are so many left. We can live with it. Yes the government wasted a bunch of millions or billions of dollars but I still have a decent standard of living. I'll let it pass.

But one day we wake up and the gorilla has grown to 800 pounds so we finally notice it in the living room. It's time to call the exterminator. And that's what the Tea Parties (i.e. Modern American Conservatism) was all about. And I hope we have the guts to keep fanning that fire.
DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:44 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

back when the republican party stood for reinvestment in america to keep the country strong and moving forward, i did.

what has been going on, and in increasing boldness, over the last 20 + years is pretty much the corporations and their stakeholders getting so into the profit taking mode that the Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs has been reduced to what's left of the turkey the day after thanksgiving.

i'm a firm believer in capitalism, but ****, man... at some point it's just irresponsible.

and that's what i, and others, believe has gotten us so deep in the caca that we have to use tax money that could be used for something else to prop up what used to be the pinnacle of economic success and power.

now we can't borrow a cup of sugar without going hat in hand to the ******* chinese. yeah, yer damned right i'm pissed off about it.

and equally pissed off that some people, not you necessarily, are trying to sell that things were going just swimmingly until 4 months ago.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:47 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Quote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

oh? this was.... what?

[quote="Foxfyre"]

sounds like making a judgement to me. [/color]

It is a judgment of you only if it applies to you. You are the one making that judgment.

Quote:
Quote:
[quote="Foxfyre"]Do you honestly see their point of view as so terrible? Or are you unable to accept it for what it is and, like so many liberals, must trash and humiliate and discredit any who express such a point of view?
[/color]

yes, i do see their pov as a detrimental to keeping america financed well enough to stay strong and grow, without borrowing trillions of dollars from our frakkin' enemies. please explain to me how doing just that has done anything good for america?

sure you and others can sell it, but i'm not buying it.
[/quote]

I suppose you can't see how irrational this argument is? Do you honestly think the Tea Partiers are suggesting that the necessary functions of government should not be financed? Did any one of them suggest that? And where do you think the Santa Claus government that President Obama proposes is going to get the money to fund his proposed trillion dollar deficits without borrowing it from our 'frakkin' enemies'?
Cycloptichorn

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Americans have been far too trusting of their government which is something the Founders warned us about but that, among other things, sort of got shoved into the background and out of sight for a long time. We're also a pretty agreeable, peaceful, and optimistic lot and as long as we don't see problems right under our noses, most of us can pretty well ignore them. But its just like having a roach in the house. One is a problem. A few more are yucky but we can squirt them with bug spray and pretend they're all gone. But one night you turn on the light in a room and they're scattering everywhere, and you know you can't ignore it any longer. It's time to call the exterminators.

Bad government creeps up on us in much the same way. Okay a little lie here and there and what harm is really done? A politician here or there is caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but most aren't so it isn't a huge problem. Okay we lost one little right, but there are so many left. We can live with it. Yes the government wasted a bunch of millions or billions of dollars but I still have a decent standard of living. I'll let it pass.

But one day we wake up and the gorilla has grown to 800 pounds so we finally notice it in the living room. It's time to call the exterminator. And that's what the Tea Parties (i.e. Modern American Conservatism) was all about. And I hope we have the guts to keep fanning that fire.

And it just so happened to come about as soon as a Democrat was elected prez. What a funny coincidence. Wouldn't you agree?

I think honesty on your part would include admitting how much partisanship is involved in these protests, Fox. It doesn't necessarily contradict the message you are championing, but you shouldn't ignore it; it makes your argument look pretty weak to do so.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

And it just so happened to come about as soon as a Democrat was elected prez. What a funny coincidence. Wouldn't you agree?

I think honesty on your part would include admitting how much partisanship is involved in these protests, Fox. It doesn't necessarily contradict the message you are championing, but you shouldn't ignore it; it makes your argument look pretty weak to do so.

Cycloptichorn

It just happened to be a Democrat who just put a 3.6 trillion dollar budget in front of us and who proposes trillion dollar deficits into the foreseeable future. It could have been Jesus or Ghandi or McCain or Reagan or anybody in the world who proposed that and I think the protests would have been there just the same.

And I think honesty on your part could include admission that if it was anybody but your newly elected Democrat president proposing that, you would be screaming bloody murder for heads to roll. I still remember all the criticism of President Bush for erasing Bill Clinton's 'surplus'. Or have you forgotten how many times you pointed that out?
DontTreadOnMe

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
...Do you honestly think the Tea Partiers are suggesting that the necessary functions of government should not be financed?

yes. i honestly do. and they also feel that they alone should determine what constitutes a necessary function.

which from what i can tell, includes nothing much beyond military spending and school vouchers.
Foxfyre

Mon 18 May, 2009 03:59 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Military spending as a Constitutionally mandated function of government yes.

School vouchers no. Most Tea Partiers are in favor of the federal government getting out of public education, though if they can't make that happen, they do think that parents and not the federal government should decide where their kids will go to school and vouchers is a compromise.

And there are quite a few other functions of government most Tea Partiers would strongly support but probably wouldn't be acknowledged by anybody who was really blindly partisan.

Cycloptichorn

Mon 18 May, 2009 04:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

It just happened to be a Democrat who just put a 3.6 trillion dollar budget in front of us and who proposes trillion dollar deficits into the foreseeable future. It could have been Jesus or Ghandi or McCain or Reagan or anybody in the world who proposed that and I think the protests would have been there just the same.

You're kidding yourself. Bush proposed budgets, deficits, and entitlement programs which were pretty damn large. Medicare part D just to name one. Nobody from your side protested at all. Bush gave 350 billion to bail out Wall Street, once again, zero protests.

Your argument is not convincing.

Quote:
And I think honesty on your part could include admission that if it was anybody but your newly elected Democrat president proposing that, you would be screaming bloody murder for heads to roll. I still remember all the criticism of President Bush for erasing Bill Clinton's 'surplus'. Or have you forgotten how many times you pointed that out?

No, I haven't forgotten. I am angry over the size of the deficit we see right now. I don't believe we have a lot of other options at this point, however, and am willing to see how things turn out.

I'm pretty sure we will see some hefty tax increases on the rich in order to help pay for some of these future deficits, which are now not currently being taken into account.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies